Pod Your Reef

Nick's 40 Breeder

Nick's Reef

Well just placed an order at the LFS to get an AGA 40 Breeder, I finally saved enough to upgrade and am so exicted about the possiblities this will open up!

Plans are as follows:

Lighting: Nova Extreme Pro, eventually replacing bulbs to all Ati

Filtraiton: Making a falsewall in a way and will have fliter floss back there along with GFO and carbon if needed. Will also run a skimmer.

Stocking: No clue, lots of SPS some LPS and softies. For fish a thinking about a a pair of Barlett's or Dispair anthias, pair of shrimp gobies, pair of Bangaii Cardinals, possibly a Potter's Angel, and a bunch of cool little gobies and other perching fish.

Also doing a foam wall on the back and having three or four islands for a scape. Tank should be at the LFS on Friday so I'll pick it up then, my dad is going to bulid me a stand and he might sell his 75 and put the 40 in it's place so it could be a few months before the tank sees water but when it does it should be well worth it! :)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yay! I love the 40B..this should be a great build :P

tagging along for da ride

Maria

Oh rock walls are great. Looking forward to seeing this get going :D .

Thanks girls, I should start on the rock wall next weekend and will have lots of pics! I can't wait til' it's cycled and ready to stock.

Sweet Nick...Congrats on the upgrade...I love new setups...If you want any advice on the false wall let me know. I obviously have one in my display...I think you should make your pod into a sump/fuge and rig overflow...

Sweet Nick...Congrats on the upgrade...I love new setups...If you want any advice on the false wall let me know. I obviously have one in my display...I think you should make your pod into a sump/fuge and rig overflow...

I was thinking about a sump/fuge but I hate hob overflows since my dad has overflowed his sup many times due to his and drilling the tank costs a lot unless you DIY and my dad said no to that. For the false wall I'm going to take the eggrate for the rock wall and just make it come off the back far enough to hide an mj900 and filre floss. Will probably take some acrylic and make it so it skims the surface of the water.

Also if anyone wants my finnex halide light let me know, will be selling it when I transfer the aquapod.

neanderthalman

DIY drilling is easy - I've got eight holes in the back of my 40B.

Tell your dad that it's OK to step outside the box and try to do something he's never done before. Silly old guys are often stuck in their ways.

Nick's Reef
DIY drilling is easy - I've got eight holes in the back of my 40B.

Tell your dad that it's OK to step outside the box and try to do something he's never done before. Silly old guys are often stuck in their ways.

Prolem is if I drilled for a sump, I can afford a sump. A closed loop would be nice though. A they guy who owns the LFS I bought the tank from said it was easy too, but my dad would rather have him do it since almost everyone local that has a drilled tank either DIY'd or had him drill it. My dad will DIY as much as he can but drilling a tank seems to be one thing he won't do.

Nick's Reef

All I have to say is I hope this thread doesn't turn out like Nanoty's where it's 50 pages long before the tank sees water. My dad said I could set it up and if he sells his tank we can move it, so as soon as the stand is done and I finish the rock/foam wall which will be by the end of march unless I seriously mess up on it.

you can make a sump out of a $11 ten gallon tank. Just get acrylic and make your own baffles. You will save a lot of space that way. And you can get a local glass shop to drill your holes for you. They normally charge about $10-$15 per hole.

Nick's Reef
you can make a sump out of a $11 ten gallon tank. Just get acrylic and make your own baffles. You will save a lot of space that way. And you can get a local glass shop to drill your holes for you. They normally charge about $10-$15 per hole.

I know, making a sump is easy and probably would be cheap now that i thing about it, but I see no need for one as I'm still hiding my pumps and heater.

Drilling opens up a different can of worms with the drain, plumbing etc. Honestly though it isn't any harder than setting up a nice false wall. It would give you more room in the tank and allow you to take advantage of the great shape of the tank. It also opens up a lot of possibilities as far as adding equipment.

:happydance:

'Grats on the upgrade bro!!! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Oh yeah... One more thing...

DRILL IT!!! :haha:

Nick's Reef
Drill tank, do sump.

DO EET!!!!!

Drilling opens up a different can of worms with the drain, plumbing etc. Honestly though it isn't any harder than setting up a nice false wall. It would give you more room in the tank and allow you to take advantage of the great shape of the tank. It also opens up a lot of possibilities as far as adding equipment.

After seeing all the posts saying I should drill the tank, I looked at glass-holes.com but then I realized a good return is about $100. So forget that. My budget for equipment is around $500, so i really have to be careful with the cost of this tank. I do have an old reutrn from my dad's tank sitting in a bin with my rocks that works fine. I think it's rated for around 600gph and my dad uses an identical pump for a return currently. Should ask again if he'd drill it.

Tell your Dad that all your Reef friends won't think you're cool unless you drill you tank.

Peer Pressure at it's finest!

Srsly, I have NEVER done any DIY whatsoever, but I am seriously contemplating drilling my tank right now for my own upgrade project.

If I can do it, your Dad can do it.

Tell him he can't let an inexperienced girl DIYer show him up.

Tell your Dad that all your Reef friends won't think you're cool unless you drill you tank.

Peer Pressure at it's finest!

Srsly, I have NEVER done any DIY whatsoever, but I am seriously contemplating drilling my tank right now for my own upgrade project.

If I can do it, your Dad can do it.

THIS! :lol:

Nick's Reef

I'll have to see what my buddy at the LFS charges for a single hole and do a corner overflow as I just found everything for the return in the garage, would use a u-tube type thing and have it hang on the side, that's what my dad has and it works great. I think he would do it for $30 and that includes all the plumbing and with the 10gal turned into a sump it's almost cheaper than a glass-holes kit. Also at a crappy LFS they had a bunch of used sumps for pretty cheap, that would take the guess work out of the baffels.

PM thecowkid about an overflow. He built the one for my 40 breeder. I added a durso pipe which you can build for around $10 and bought a holesaw and drilled it myself (having never done so before).

Nick's Reef
PM thecowkid about an overflow. He built the one for my 40 breeder. I added a durso pipe which you can build for around $10 and bought a holesaw and drilled it myself (having never done so before).

Ty I just pm'd him, so I'd just need to drill the tank and get a piece of PVC for the drain right? Or would I want a bulkhead and stick a piece of pvc into that? I'm thinking that I could drill the back and put a bukhead in and make an overflow box out of acrylic like the glass-holes kit but for a lot less. So that's my first pick.

It depends on how you want the drain to work. Mine is a full size overflow and the bottom is drilled. There is a threaded bulkhead that the standpipe is attached to. There is a pretty good explaination here. I'll also try to find which page of my thread I did the drilling on or at least some pics. Otherwise you could do a small overflow box and drill the back using some type of external durso to keep the noise down.

Im having a 3 sided overflow box made for my 40 breeder. Trigger systems is building mine for $50. Luckily they are about 5 miles from where I live so its pretty convenient.

Archived