inTank Media Baskets

Nicks Biocube 29

nbavf6

1/24/11

Here is my 29 biocube.

It has been up and going for about 2 years now. This summer in june, electric shock caused the tank to crash. Few things were saved (hammer coral). Here it is with about 6 months in now.

Equipment:

29 Oceanic Biocube

Rio HF6 return pump

MP10 ES

Remora skimmer powered by Maxijet 1200

MJ 400 and two little fishies reactor

Fuge in middle back chamber, submersible lights provided by StevieT on Nano-reef

150 Watt Sunpod

Fish:

Black misbar clown

Midas Blenny

Spotted Mandarin Goby

Coral:

Sunset Milli

Green Digi

Purple Acro

Purple/Pearl Tabling Acro

Tri-color Milli

Pearlberry Acro

Purple Bala

Lots of acros not sure names on a couple others...

Bam Bam Zoa

Blues Zoas

Green Palys

Hairy Mushrooms

Hammer Coral

Dragon Soul Favia

Alien Eye Chalice

Glow worm Chalice

Mr. Coral mystery Chalice

Purple w/ blue spot mushrooms

Purple Monti Cap

Red Monti Cap

Orange Monti Cap

Sunset Monti

Reverse Sunset Monti

Orange/Red/Green/Blue Maxi Mini

Blue Leg hermits

Nass Snails

Crocea Clam

Peppermint Shrimp

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

First Original Post:

Well I started this thread with my tank up and running for about a week and a half in. Finally pulled the trigger on a BC29 at my LFS when they ran them on sale. Also with getting the cube there, the guy gave me 10 percent off everything I have bought for it, sand, rock, water, salt. So its all set up and my buddy brought me some more rock from his house. Right now i have about 30# sand 25# rock. So we will see how it goes.

DSC01756.jpg

Whammin Watermelons

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

Coco Pinks (watermelons)

DSC01758.jpg

Tubs Blues

DSC01752.jpg

Bam Bam Oranges

IMG0070300000.jpg

UPDATED LIST 5/06/09

1 Emerald Crab

8 Nass Snails

3 Scarlets

3 blue leg

2 other hermits

1 unidentified hitchhiker hermit

1 diamond goby died...

1 scooter blenny died....

1 gold stripe maroon died...

1 cleaner shrimp

35# sand

approx 25 lbs rock

ZOOS

Whammin Watermelon Zoos

Pink Cocos(Watermelon) Zoos

Tubs Blues Zoos

Bam Bam Oranges Zoos

Orange Zoos

Yellow Polyp Zoos (long skirts)

Pale Lemon/Lime Green Zoos (lime green mouth)

PHE Red Ring (Purple Hearted Zoos)

Green Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoos

John Deere (Green W/ Yellow Mouth) Zoos

Eagle Eyes Zoos

Steel Blues Zoos

Alpha and Omega Zoos

Fire and Ice Zoos

Firefly Zoos

Bird of Prey Zoos

Red People Eaters

Medussa Zoos

Devil's Armor

OTHER:

Pulsing Xenia

Toadstool

Hammer (Green with Purple Tips) coral

Purple mushroom with blue spots

Green Implosion Paly

Green clove polyp

GSP

TANK UPGRADES:

HYDOR Koralia nano

HF6 installed

FILTRATION:

Handful of bioballs

Chemi-Pure

Bag of Carbon

LR rubble

Filter Floss

Biocube protien skimmer

Chamber 2 FUGE- SteveT submersible lights and cheato

LIGHTING

Stock for now

*Considering nanocustoms 144watt upgrade.

Thanks for looking!

Nick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
needs more liverock but it looks sweet so far. about 30lbs of rock will be good

Thanks, I thought the cave look would be cool. Not to much space to work with but enough to have a cool U shape. But yeah my buddy is bringing me more rock this weekend. Im out of town this weekend but it should be Monday! I'll be sure to update.

So question... I am about a week and a half into setup. Would it be ok to add a CUC? I mean they are pretty hardy little guys. I was thinking about adding them in about 3 or 4 days. Feedback?

So question... I am about a week and a half into setup. Would it be ok to add a CUC? I mean they are pretty hardy little guys. I was thinking about adding them in about 3 or 4 days. Feedback?

Wait until cycle is complete.

Well I added about another 10 lbs of rock Monday. My tank before that was in brown mode! Was out of town and my roommate left the lights on over the weekend. So I got an emerald crab 2 blue legs, 3 scarlets and 7 nass snails. Got them from Liveaquaria with free shipping! It was great. So put them in yesterday and everything is going better. Slowly getting clean! Ill post pictures when i get my camera back from where ever i sent it for warrenty maintenance since it stoped working :( but other than that it is coming along nicely.

More LR & Flow!!!!!!!!!! Your going 2 want to add another power head for more flow, maybe even up grad your stock pump, and replace roommate with timer ASAP. In less your roommate is a roommate with benefits ...ohhhhhh ya!!!!! you know what i mean???? And if that's the case keep said roommate, and buy a timer!

and replace roommate with timer ASAP. In less your roommate is a roommate with benefits ...ohhhhhh ya!!!!!

Ha ha well my roommate meant to and he is not the roommate with benefits! :lol: haha. I like my females :happydance: lol. He has worked with salt water for like 3 or 4 years now and he just wanted the brown stuff to happen quickly and get stuff going. But yes a timer is going to be a must. Travel to much in the spring for track meets. Makes my emerald fat and happy though.

So question to all... Lighting upgrade. Is the 108watt upgrade worth it on Nanotuners or go ahead and get the 144watt? Any personal experiences or forums i can read more about it from people who have upgraded? Please let me know. Very interested in upgrading. This is my first tank but in a year from now who knows, i might want to mess around with some sps. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just stopping by...how are things going with your tank...any news?

BTW...I have stock BC29 lighting and my corals are doing well. If I was to consider an upgrade, I would probably look into an all LED setup that would fit within the stock hood.

Things in the tank are going good. Just waiting to get home from texas to check on things... Right before I lefts i had hundreds probably thousand of little with things on my glass/in tank. They were probably about the size of a ball point pen. If u got right up to them u could see 5 or 6 little legs. My friend who has been in salt for a while tried to figure out what they were. He called them hydroids (jellyfish). IDK. he said they aren not bad. But they are everywhere. Got some algae that my little CUC is loving. added some CHEMI-PURE Wednesday. dropped it on the lower level in the 2nd chamber. so water has to filter through it. Doesn't effect flow at all. monitored 3rd chamber level for a while afterward and everything is good. ALSO HAD NCAA INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. BROUGHT HOME 4th in the HEPTATHLON...

So question to all... Lighting upgrade. Is the 108watt upgrade worth it on Nanotuners or go ahead and get the 144watt? Any personal experiences or forums i can read more about it from people who have upgraded? Please let me know. Very interested in upgrading. This is my first tank but in a year from now who knows, i might want to mess around with some sps. :)

I was e-mailing with Chris from Nanotuners regarding these two options. My main concern was the noise from the fans, as I think the stock BC29 fans are too loud. The SilneX fans are only available on the 108W, not the 144W, so I was asking about the differences. He said that given the right conditions, the 4.36 can support ALMOST anything. I'd love to hear some real testimonials too, but the 4.36 sounds pretty sweet for the price. I may end up with the 3.36 for noise reasons (I REALLY want silent fans). Anyway, that's what Chris said, and from all accounts he is very reliable.

If you get either upgrade, let me know how it goes. I am planning to get one too.

SO COME HOME FROM NATIONALS TO FIND MY TANK IN HUGE BROWN STAGE. The sides are bron the rocks are brown, some green algae in there too. So did I have another cycle? Whats going on here?

Got a Scooter! I was just stopping by the store to pick up a couple things, filter floss, see if any new rocks were in that i had to have, etc. I got a bottle of copepods in one hand a snail and hermit in the other and i magically turned around and said i am getting a scooter blenny. so i have a scooter blenny. I feed him brine and my copepods that i released into my tank 20 minutes before him. He is fat and happy and AWESOME.

Decided to take out the biocube filter, put filter floss on top of the 2nd chamber drip tray. below that is my chemi-pure and bag of carbon. Seems like a lot more surface "oils" are gone due to this. Seems like the surface flow has increased. Any suggestions on filtering?

Sounds like my BC29. I just added Chemi and purigen. Waiting for the cycle to finish up on the new 14 before adding it there. However I still use the crap BC filters in both my BC 14 and 29. Just rinse and reuse them twice before chucking them. I found a bunch priced at $5.99 for 2 so I bought some supply...I know people here frown on them but oh well I dont see anything wrong with using them other than the price point. :P

Post some new pics...

Newest of the new pics 3/20/09

IMG00593.jpg

IMG00587.jpg

IMG00589.jpg

IMG00590.jpg

Sorry they are cell phone pics. Still trying to get my digital camera to focus through the glass.... So I'm tryin to get better pics up but here is for now

Sounds like my BC29. I just added Chemi and purigen. Waiting for the cycle to finish up on the new 14 before adding it there. However I still use the crap BC filters in both my BC 14 and 29. Just rinse and reuse them twice before chucking them. I found a bunch priced at $5.99 for 2 so I bought some supply...I know people here frown on them but oh well I dont see anything wrong with using them other than the price point. :P

Post some new pics...

It's really not so much the price as it is how much your surface skim improves by not using the stock filters. The stock filters are restictive to flow thought the rear chambers. I've found that using floss in chamber 2 is far better than using the stock filters.

At the LFS last night and in their coral tank a green clove polyp fell off and was just laying there on the bottom. Got it for free and it looks like its going to make it. It is coming out and all that. Give it another day and ill get a pic of it up. Also picked up a diamond goby.

Well Digger the Diamond Goby jumped back in chamber 3 yesterday. Couldnt find him forever because he was under my pump. Sneaky little guy. So i put him back in the tank and he burrowed under a rock that you cant really see in the tank cause its against the back wall. He hides all day long... :( wish i could see him. So i have a 20 dollar no show fishy! haha. Also still have an algae problem on top of my sand and some rocks. Got 8 or so hermits, 8 snails and an emerald crab. Show i add anything else? Still a lot of brown on the sand. Thanks

Archived