Coral Vue Hydros

Cher's Biocube 14

pcsmarts

Biocube is now 1 1/2 months old and despite the "Naysayers" is doing excellent!

post-41918-1236003271_thumb.jpg

UPDATED 3/2/09.....Updated pics posted further down in this thread

The torch has tripled in size since I bought it, was taking over a third of the bio, and starting to sting his neighbors, so he was moved to the 65 gal this past weekend. I have moved the ric's toward the back of the tank to avoid the torch, but am thinking I may move them back up front now that he is no longer there.

The RBTA and GBTA were already moved to the 65 gal a couple of weeks ago.

The only inhabitant that did not make it in the bio was the Black and White Clown (Obama, as my husband so fittingly named him) which now been replaced with a tiny tank raised common clown.

Updated pictures of 65 gallon added to this thread further down.

Biocube @ 3 Weeks Old

post-41918-1234111442_thumb.jpg

As you can see, all inhabitants are doing great and growing every day!

Added: February 7th

4 Emerald Crabs

Pulsing Xenia

My Clown finally hosting the GBTA! Yeah!

post-41918-1234111593_thumb.jpg

Dusk light shot. (wish I knew how to get a better picture of this)

post-41918-1234111644_thumb.jpg

Biocube @ 16 Days Old

post-41918-1233594161_thumb.jpg

Added: January 31st:

Green BTA (which has also decided it likes the bakc of the tank)

Orange Ricordia (Mushroom polyps)

Biocube @ 12 Days Old

post-41918-1233244799_thumb.jpg

Added January 28th:

2 Turbo Snails

Blue Mushrooms

Rose Anemone (Which has decided it likes the back of the tank better than than the nice rock and open viewing area I had provided for it. The cleaner shimp is none too happy either as the anemone moved right in and took over his area!)

New Biocube @ Week 1

post-41918-1233002470_thumb.jpg

Inhabitants week one:

Yellow Gonopora (Flower Pot)

Feather Duster

Green Ricordia (Mushroom polyps)

Green Star Polyps

Red Lettuce Leather

Torch Coral

Cleaner Shrimp (hiding)

4 Red Legged Scarlet Crabs

1 Tank Raised Black Percula

1 Tank Raised Percula

This is my first attempt at a Reef tank and it is a Stock - out of the box Biocube 14. I also have a 65 Gal Saltwater - Fish Only tank that I have had for 5 years now.

FYI....I have recieved a lot of negative comments regarding how clean my Bio is. I am very diligent with upkeep on my tanks. This is a picture of my 5 year old, 65 Gal Saltwater Tank, as you can see (with the exception of my recent experiment with Purple Up) it is as clean as my Bio. Not only do I stay on top of things, I make sure I always have the proper CUC to assist in keeping everything in check. I plan to add more live rock so I only have live rock in there. I have never had a crash in this tank, I do a 15 Gallon water every 2 -3 weeks and my readings are always perfect. I am also waiting on new lighting and will start adding coral to this system and it will be the home for the RBTA. (another area of negative comments).

post-41918-1233668494_thumb.jpg

2/8/09 Update 65 Gallon: Have removed all "fake" corals and replaced with more live rock.... Lighting is on order and will be here on Thursday........which is the final piece and this tank will go from Fish Only to Reef! Yep, I'm Hooked!

3/2/09 Update 65 Gallon This is now starting to come along but will be a slow process due to $'s...

post-41918-1236008230_thumb.jpg

This light fixture is being replaced this week to eleminate the shadow, as my tank has a center brace and my light fixture has a center MH....

FYI... the RBTA and GBTA both decided they like the back of this tank also and are hidden most of the time in the rockwork.... they do come out once in a while to eat.. go figure .......

I really hope you cycled that tank first.

Yes the tank is cycled. I used live sand & live rock, along with water from established tank. I only added the clowns and star polyps at first and after all test readings were still perfect 4 days later I added the other inhabitants. They have been thriving in there for the last 5 days.

Hopefully you did. But if you didnt I dont think those corals would like that happy. Nice looking BC!

Yes it is cycled, and thanks for the compliment....... a long way to go yet.....

It looks beautiful right now. I hope things are stable enough. I procrastinated for 4 months before I put coral other than mushrooms in my tank haha. Your tank is stunning though. I wish my back wall was still that clean, and the sand too.

It looks beautiful right now. I hope things are stable enough. I procrastinated for 4 months before I put coral other than mushrooms in my tank haha. Your tank is stunning though. I wish my back wall was still that clean, and the sand too.

Thanks it is still a work in progress... My Turbo Snails do an incredible job of cleaning the back wall and sand it was already getting dirty before I added the snails. I have them in my 65 Gal Saltwater Fish Only Tank and you wouldn't believe the diffence they make. I have had my 65 gal for 5 years now and it is very stable, I used live sand, live rock and established water to start my bio. My readings have been perfect in the bio since day 2.

What kind of lights are you using?

Everything in my Biocube is stock, out of the box.... lights included.....

supreme_spork
I used live sand, live rock and established water to start my bio.

There is no such thing as "established water". Water taken from another tank is just "used water", and generally lower quality than freshly-made water because trace elements have already been depleted to a greater or lesser extent.

love the biocube and your FOWLR has potential. i think the nems will do just fine as long as you take care of the water quality. i just hope your xenia doesnt grow out of control. they can become a pain.

Good Luck - but it looks like too much too fast. I hope you have previous tank experience and can give the the nems the stability they require. Most wouldn't recommmend one until the tank has been established 6+ months.

Not saying you can't do it. I know it can be done... I kept a rose in a stock BC and it did fine. BUT what scares me is how much you've added in such a short amount of time.

There is no such thing as "established water". Water taken from another tank is just "used water", and generally lower quality than freshly-made water because trace elements have already been depleted to a greater or lesser extent.

Sorry, it appears I worded that incorrectly. If you look at my earlier post from January 26th you will see what I actually meant was: I used live sand & live rock, along with water from established tank. (with perfect parameters)

Good Luck - but it looks like too much too fast. I hope you have previous tank experience and can give the the nems the stability they require. Most wouldn't recommmend one until the tank has been established 6+ months.

Not saying you can't do it. I know it can be done... I kept a rose in a stock BC and it did fine. BUT what scares me is how much you've added in such a short amount of time.

If you read my post you will see that I have 5 years of tank experience and that the RBTA is moving this week (as soon as my MH light gets here on Thursday) over to my 5 year old 65 gallon tank which is going from fish only to reef, I have removed all "Fake" coral from that tank and replaced with all live rock. Sorry I don't have an updated picture of it right now.

come on update with some pics......Wanna see how this is all going for you lol

It is going very well and the top three pictures were taken yesterday. If you compare them to my first pictures you can see for yourself that everyting is thriving and growing.

love the biocube and your FOWLR has potential. i think the nems will do just fine as long as you take care of the water quality. i just hope your xenia doesnt grow out of control. they can become a pain.

Thanks and FYI the Xenia will be moving the end of this week along with the RBTA to my 65 Gal Tank.

looks good. Altho i question the nems in there?

Thank you, and FYI The RBTA is being moved this week to my 65 gal tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd add a few updated pictures of the 65 gallon.....

FTS

post-41918-1236005115_thumb.jpg

(The lighting is being changed this week to eliminate the shadow as this tank has a brace across the middle which does not work with the light fixture's centered MH.)

Right Side

post-41918-1236005249_thumb.jpg

Left Side

post-41918-1236005282_thumb.jpg

RBTA (as you can see it is NOT bleached as this is the color when I put it under the MH, the bio lighting made it only appear a lighter color)

post-41918-1236005332_thumb.jpg

Clam

post-41918-1236005494_thumb.jpg

More inhabitants in 65 Gallon......

Candy Cane

post-41918-1236007198_thumb.jpg

Green Torch, Green (yellow) Cap and Fogspon

post-41918-1236007237_thumb.jpg

GBTA, (who's color looks more yellow under MH than in the biocube or in person)

post-41918-1236011332_thumb.jpg

Pulsing Xenia and Unknown Coral (If anyone can identify this "Tree" it would be appreciated)

post-41918-1236007325_thumb.jpg

Archived