Coral Vue Hydros

TKIY's 20g Shallow Kitchen Tank

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

So I have a bunch of equipment ordered, it should all be here this week, and pictures will follow as the tank goes up. This should be a pretty quick build, assuming I can find Live Rock in Winnipeg in January. No one wants to ship it at this time of the year, and the local LFS tanks are a bit picked over and they generally charge $9/lb or more. We shall see.

The Equipment

• Custom 20g Shallow glass tank (24" x 16" x 12")
  • Current USA Sundial 4x24w T5HO
  • Koralia Nano
  • Koralia 1
  • Tunze Nano Cleaner 3165
  • Visitherm Stealth 100w

The Livestock

The list is variable but at the moment I think we will go with:

• Sixline Wrasse
  • Cherub Angel
  • Firefish
  • Yasha Haze Goby

This is all variable though. Might drop the Sixline for a less aggressive Wrasse if I can find one that will comfortably fit in this tank. Might drop the Angel for something like a Royal Gramma as well. I haven't quite convinced myself that this tank is big enough for one, and there is always the risk of coral nipping.

Inverts

• Fire Shrimp and/or Cleaner Shrimp
  • Assorted Snails
  • Assorted SPS corals focusing mainly on Monti Caps, Birdsnest and Staghorns
  • Possibly one Frogspawn as my wife and 3 year old loves them

Obviously these plans will also firm up depending on availability and space.

This tank will go in my kitchen underneath my microwave shelf. The space is limited vertically and front-to-back, thus the shallow tank and low-profile lighting fixture. This also means all my equipment needs to be kept in-tank and small. I'm hoping the Nano Cleaner will replace any need for a HOB and work well as a catch-all surface skimmer, mechanical filter and for carbon and GFO. If water quality becomes an issue, it also daisy chains with the Tunze Nano skimmer.

The ultimate goal is to have this tank built and running by February, and then to have it stable and mostly stocked by the end of June. My wife is expecting our second child in July, so there will be considerably less time to devote to the tank at this point. This also explains why my brand new, and fully top-of-the-line equipped 120g in the basement is on hold for a year or more.

I'm more than open to advice and recommendations. The equipment is all ordered so that is not particularly variable at the moment, but otherwise, knock yourself out and pick apart my plans.

Your new pal and fellow reef slave,

The King In Yellow

p.s.

Equipment specs for my 120g in case anyone cares:

• AGA 120g Megaflow
  • DIY Cherry Stand and Canopy
  • Tek 8x54w T5HO Fixture
  • EuroReef RS-250 Skimmer
  • Custom 60g Acrylic Sump/Refugium
  • Eheim 1262 Return
  • 4 x Koralia 4
  • Seio Wavemaker
  • Tunze Osmolator w/ Kalk Dispenser
  • H&S CR-150 Calcium Reactor
  • Aquacontroller Jr

All sitting in the basement, in boxes. SIGH. Live rock is too damned expensive here.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKingInYellow
Haha, lalani is the resident pirate.

Sounds good. Have you considered using 3/4 dry rock for the big one. It would be a lot cheaper.

Sure, I've considered it, but Dry Rock is also about $4/lb here. Even at that point, I'm talking $750+ in rock.

I suppose it's not just the rock, the time factor is quite different as well.

Thanks for the advice though!

TheKingInYellow

A few quick updates. The light fixture has arrived, and so have the Tunze filter and the K-Nano. I cleaned up my old K1 as well, and while it rattles a bit it's working. I might give it a hot soak in vinegar to clear out any goopy crud.

And... I got my live rock. Found a local guy tearing down his 180 and plucked about 15lbs out. I'll add 5-10lbs of base rock as well. The LR has a bit of Aiptasia, maybe five heads total, so I'll cook the rock for a week and a half or so, scrub the hell out of it, and then kalk-paste-nuke anything suspicious. Then, if I still have Aiptasia showing up, it's a short trip to the microwave. BURN BURN BURN FIRE FIRE GOOD BURN.

TheKingInYellow
Pics or it didn't happen....................

Yeah, I know. I am a substandard human being.

You want pictures of boxes or something?

looks like your setup will be nice! I love the dimensions. Mine are virtually identical, just turned on its side. I like yours better. I'm also going to be running the Tunze Nano Reefpack. The nano cleaner seems nice so far. Decent flow, adjustable in direction and strength. The only stupid thing is the overflow. It makes no sense. Its like a balcony for the filter.

TheKingInYellow
Dear Cowboy,

I require an explanation of your Screen Name.

Sincerely,

Cereal Girl

What, mine?

It's a literary reference from the MAC DADDY OF VICTORIAN-ERA GOTHIC HORROR, H. P. Lovecraft.

looks like your setup will be nice! I love the dimensions. Mine are virtually identical, just turned on its side. I like yours better. I'm also going to be running the Tunze Nano Reefpack. The nano cleaner seems nice so far. Decent flow, adjustable in direction and strength. The only stupid thing is the overflow. It makes no sense. Its like a balcony for the filter.

Shallow tanks rock. More swimming area, easier to aquascape, less light required. The triumvirate of awesome right there, I tell you boyo.

The overflow on the Tunze does look a bit retarded. Let's say 41% retarded. I think I might scrap it and just silicone a double layer of gutter guard on the inside instead. I should have just bit the bullet and bought the reefpack. I have a hunch I will be picking up the skimmer within six months.

What, mine?

It's a literary reference from the MAC DADDY OF VICTORIAN-ERA GOTHIC HORROR, H. P. Lovecraft.

God Weetie, you couldn't figure that out?

TheKingInYellow

Hmm... What is that font on the tags? It looks like Impact, but I don't think it is.

I need some tags. I feel like I belong here.

I miss the Canadian guitarist, is all.

Alex Lifeson?!

Wait if I reply to my own thread, it adds on to my last post?

Testing

Testing x 2

:haha:

God Weetie, you couldn't figure that out?

Bah.

I read a lot, but I don't do horror, thus no Lovecraft.

Flame on, I'm waiting.

I strongly prefer shallow tanks too.

I really don't like doing tanks over 12" high.

TheKingInYellow
Flame on, I'm waiting.

You are inferior! Others have clearly demonstrated a greater capacity for things than you have! You are publicly shamed by this!

You are inferior! Others have clearly demonstrated a greater capacity for things than you have! You are publicly shamed by this!

Oh no you di'int just talk about SWeetie like that. :angry:

Thread approval revoked.

TheKingInYellow
CARPET!

How big is er?

I gots one

100% pure Jungle Carpet. She's just a baby, got her at about nine weeks old back in June. She's pushing 40" or so, is already eating rat pups.

Oh no you di'int just talk about SWeetie like that. :angry:

Thread approval revoked.

Oh damn, I've been dissed by the mysterious glass-eyed cyclops lady.

Archived