Coral Vue Hydros

The Persuit of Perfection

silverplanet

Very cool idea! I am interested to see how this turns out.. those rocks will look awesome with corals all over them!

Are you planning on doing a rockscape in the center of the tank as well?

silverplanet

I am planning on having a small structure of rocks on one side of the tank and the other side will have a 30 plus head hammer coral and a couple of frogspawn corals. the back wall will have zoas on it and some birdsnest. a cup coral will be on the sand bed and some other sps will be on the rock structure. fish will include a pair of clowns, fire fin goby and a green clown goby.

Jason

silverplanet
looks cool so far, other than that stock JBJ skimmer :)

yeah i probably wont be using any protein skimmer with my bio load. i think w/c will be enough. i wont have a clam and only a couple sps. we will see how the "dirty" water works for this tank.

Jason

Ok. That is really cool but for us newer to the hobby can you explain what the heck you did. I see the a poxy in the backround. I understand the light diffuser but it looks like you put that expanding foam on there then sprinkled sand? I'm curious

silverplanet

i created a fake back wall for the nanocube. i siliconed the rock to the eggcrate then i used great stuff foam to fill in the rest of the eggcrate. i then used the epoxy resin to keep the foam from degrading and keep the sand on the foam. once it is cycled it will look almost natural and a great way to maximize the space. since 15 pounds of lr is attached to the fake wall i only need another 15 or 20 pounds on the sand bed.

Jason

silverplanet

the wall is finished. i think it looks pretty good. it will look much better once it is wet and full of zoas.

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

Jason

Very clean. You have some nice and interesting tanks. Im sure this will not stray far from an excellent AIO. Any updates from your frogspawn tank? And are you moving the zoas from the 30 to here?

silverplanet

i just took some pics of the 30g today. i am going to be shutting it down and moving the livestock over to the new nanocube. unfortunately all my frogspawn wont fit in here so i am selling almost all of it off. all the zoas i have will be on the wall or on the sand bed.

Jason

How do you like the look of the sand-covered expanding foam? Is that stuff common to use in SW? Wondering if it will break down.

I do like the idea though. I thought about making a rockwall for my tank but decided against it. Now that I've got the thing going I want the rockwall. :P

silverplanet

the sand is actually a orange color. it should look good with some added depth perception once the zoas get attached to it.

the foam is actually common on a lot of tanks that people make. from 5 g tanks all the way up to 400g tanks.

Jason

masterbuilder

I like it...not that I am biased or anything :)

Anyway...I was curious about the brown sand too...but...it really doesnt matter. I will be covered in coralline before too long. Maybe even faster, seems to me that coralline grows faster on dark surfaces.

silverplanet
I like it...not that I am biased or anything :)

Anyway...I was curious about the brown sand too...but...it really doesnt matter. I will be covered in coralline before too long. Maybe even faster, seems to me that coralline grows faster on dark surfaces.

your tank looks great. a lot of corals in there that i could never afford let alone find up here in my igloo..lol. I think i am going to use the orange sand as my sand bed as well. i feel like being different with this tank.

Great idea. Have another one for sale?

i may just build another one. your idea has sparked my imagination.

Jason

silverplanet

the rock i have and the background are now pre cycling in a rubbermaid tub. may be in their for a month or until i finish my basement renos which is where the tank will be going once i set it up. hopefully i can get them done sooner, i want to setup this tank so bad.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

We have water !! finally i have got this baby running. water was added about a hour ago so it is still a bit cloudy. now to wait a month for it to cycle.

IMG_2047.jpg

leds only

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

metal halide

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

week and a half into setup. everything is going great.

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

i needed a little color so i added some gsp. it is really loving the mh.

IMG_2087.jpg

Jason

Archived