ReefCleaners.org

Cold Cathode Moonlights

nckwrn

I saw this idea done by Sinistard, but the topic is about 4 years old so I'm recreating it.

Supplies

Total Cost-$33.67

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1.Cut the Molex connector off of the cold cathode Box Wires.

This is a Molex Connector

001.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2.Strip the wires where you just cut the Molex.

CIMG0028.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3.Take the plastic protector off of the Biocube hood, then unscrew the screws that hold down the reflector.

Like this.

CIMG0033.jpg

Step 4.Super Glue the little Cold Cathode box inside the hood like this.(Look at picture above)

Step 5.Put the Cold Cathode tube underneath the Actinic bulb like this.(Again, look at picture above.)

Step 6. Take the wires you stripped earlier and connect them to the Adaptaplug leads with wire nuts or you can solder it if you have a soldering iron.White to white, Black to Black.

Step 7. Connect the other side of the leads to the DC Adapter. Make sure that the "+" sign on the leads meets the "Positive" word on the DC adapter.

Like this.

SkematichForLights.jpg

Step 8.Route the wires out of the back of the hood then close it all back up.

Heres what the wiring should look like.

CIMG0034.jpg

Step 9. Plug the adapter into a power source and Enjoy!

Action Shot.

CIMG0039.jpg

Edited by nckwrn
Looks nice. Would love to see some corals under it, but it looks like thats going to take a while. :)

Lol yea, Im getting my LR Next week. I m doing it reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slowwwwww.

The Propagator

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

I wish every one else would do it slow as well.

The longer you let that sucker cook with nothing but live rock and sand in it the healthier your tank will be when you stock it.

I ran CC lights in my old NC12, which didn't have any. I had it left over from an old computer project from years ago. It looked great.

I REALLY like your mounting idea to put them behind the lights like that. VERY cool.

I ran CC lights in my old NC12, which didn't have any. I had it left over from an old computer project from years ago. It looked great.

I REALLY like your mounting idea to put them behind the lights like that. VERY cool.

Thanks

i had cold cathode lights on my pico reef but the tubes are glass, like cf bulbs, but VERY thin. they broke quite easily just with a little bump. my only word of warning is to make sure they are secure and, if possible, in some kind of cover (oh, and if they do break, be careful, i believe theres some mercury content in them...)

No it doesn't. It can be larger than that if need be. It may not be able to go smaller, depending on what the current draw is for the light. The CCFL will only draw as much power as it requires. It's not like the adapter force feeds it whatever current it's rated for.

• 12 years later...
On 1/2/2009 at 1:30 PM, nckwrn said:

I saw this idea done by Sinistard, but the topic is about 4 years old so I'm recreating it.

Supplies

Total Cost-$33.67

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1.Cut the Molex connector off of the cold cathode Box Wires.

This is a Molex Connector

001.jpg

Step 2.Strip the wires where you just cut the Molex.

CIMG0028.jpg

Step 3.Take the plastic protector off of the Biocube hood, then unscrew the screws that hold down the reflector.

Like this.

CIMG0033.jpg

Step 4.Super Glue the little Cold Cathode box inside the hood like this.(Look at picture above)

Step 5.Put the Cold Cathode tube underneath the Actinic bulb like this.(Again, look at picture above.)

Step 6. Take the wires you stripped earlier and connect them to the Adaptaplug leads with wire nuts or you can solder it if you have a soldering iron.White to white, Black to Black.

Step 7. Connect the other side of the leads to the DC Adapter. Make sure that the "+" sign on the leads meets the "Positive" word on the DC adapter.

Like this.

SkematichForLights.jpg

Step 8.Route the wires out of the back of the hood then close it all back up.

Heres what the wiring should look like.

CIMG0034.jpg

Step 9. Plug the adapter into a power source and Enjoy!

Action Shot.

CIMG0039.jpg

Can you leave the moon lights on all night?