inTank Media Baskets

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Hey guys. I just took the bioballs out of my BC29 because I just ordered a media basket, and it is soooo loud now.

Will it be like this until I get my basket/chemi-pure/filter floss and purigen in?!?

Thanks

Hey guys. I just took the bioballs out of my BC29 because I just ordered a media basket, and it is soooo loud now.

Will it be like this until I get my basket/chemi-pure/filter floss and purigen in?!?

Thanks

LOL!!! No, just put more water in the back chambers. Bring the water level up to about an inch or so from the top of the chamber dividers, that will help with the noise. Don't go by the water level view port on the left side. I always know when its time to top off when I hear a water fall. :D

Hello all, great site and a wealth of info! Last time I had a reef tank was in the early 90’s and the hobby has changed quite a bit since then. Lots of new technology and I am overwhelmd but glad to see it has progressed. Anyhow, I was given a BC29 and am waiting for the stand to arrive before I begin the process of getting it up and running. I’m going to take my time and mod the tank slowly as it matures. Any tips, info, and or concerns will be greatly appreciated.

Lets start with what I wish to have in the tank when matured. I will be added them slowly of course. I am open to any suggestions or changes that will make the tank look better and easier to maintain.

Fish:

2 Percula clowns

Tailspot blenny

Goby of some sort. Yellow watchman?? Would like one that gets along with the blenny.

Bangaii cardinal or marine betta. Will get one or the other. Any opinions?

Corals:

mushrooms, ricordea, zoantids, and a toadstool. Any other recomendatons for hardy, easy to maintain corals?

Inverts:

Feather duster or 2, 2 Cleaner shrimp, or Red Blood Fire Shrimp, both if I can.

Clean up crew:

Snails and Hermit crabs.

Tank set-up:

Stock lighting and pump. 2 koralia nanos for current, 100W Ebo heater in chamber 1, 30lbs of aragonite, and 30-40 lbs of live rock. I took out the bio balls and will be using floss in the top of the second chamber.

1st: Will the stock lighting suffice for the mentioned corals? I will eventually upgrade to the 3 Compact fluorescents offered by nanotuners. Should I consider halide, led? I don’t plan on keeping any stony corals.

2nd: Is the bioload too much?

3rd: Are their any compatability issues with the above mentioned livestock.

Eventual mods: Looking for suggestions.

Intank 3 stage filter media holder, Aquatech mp10, better return pump. Which is better rio or maxijet? I’d rather not but should I add a skimmer or fuge?

Edited by Thresher
I have the same question are the biocube stock lights strong enough for zoanthids/button polyps and possibly an octocoral?

Hi,

From my point of view the standard light is not enough. The main reason is that the cube have a big high . So if you will put your corals in the first 10-12inches from the top will be ok, otherwise my advice is no. If you have some time and skills you can upgrade to 150W HQI. I managed to mount a 150W HQI in the hood and the results are awesome.

I have the same question are the biocube stock lights strong enough for zoanthids/button polyps and possibly an octocoral?

Yeah, the BC stock lights are strong enough for softies and some lps. Stronger/more lights would be better but if you are growing zoas/palys, shrooms, gsp, etc. you'll be fine. I am not familiar with octocorals so I can't say for sure for them. If you want to upgrade your lighting you can go to nanoturner.com and get their upgrade PC kits or you can go LED. I don't think there are any T5 retro kits for BC29. Definitely not for BC 8s or 14s. HTH

I managed to mount a 150W HQI in the hood and the results are awesome.

Cool, I would love to see some pictures of that. :)

Does anyone find the BC29 water return outlet design problematic? Mine seems to push the sand bed into the livestocks constantly. There's got to be a return nozzle modification somewhere. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Thanks drewbold. After further research, I've opted for Loc-Line Y connector. Problem solved.

I've used the loc-line y connector for a while and it works well, although I supplemented with a Aqueon 500 pump because I still use the stock return pump that came with my bio 14 and it's not very powerful.

So it's been said before but I'll say it again, this is the best thread about biocube's I have ever found. Great job. Sorry for the long story but I had to lay it ou.

I have a bc14 and have had it for a few years. When I first got the tank it was thriving but I still didn't know a ton about saltwater and relied heavily on my LFS. I wish I would've known about this thread then ;) . I had frogspawn, xenia's, zoa's and mushrooms. Anyway, I moved from my parents after college and couldn't bring the tank right away, therefore it was neglected and my corals withered away. The tank also had the obvious breakout of algae. After I finally moved it to my place I found I still didn't have the time (or money) to put into it, so the algae thrived. My clown fish have always been healthy and the damsel is too. I did water changes but not nearly enough. NOW, I finally have the time (and money!) to put back into it and after finding this thread, I am as excited as ever. Here is a picture after pulling off as much algae as I could. I pulled out the rocks that had the worst algae and wasn't worth savings (maybe a mistake but I'll get more). I have done water changes everyday and my nitrates are at about 30 now, with the the nitrites and phos. levels good. I will continue with the water changes until it gets to an acceptable level. I have two clowns, a damsel and just got at lawnmower blenny. I am most likely getting rid of the damsel to lower the fish count. I have 5-7 hermits and two turbo snails.

I am now in the process of slowly removing the bioballs. About half are gone now and removing some everyday. I am going to go with the steveT rack or something like it. I'll use the chem clean strategy and possibly move to a fuge within the next year or so. I have more questions if anyone cares but I figure this is too long anyway.

That's where I'm at, rip me if you will (because of the neglect), I can take it. I still consider myself a noob so any schooling is welcome.

post-64838-1298156672_thumb.jpg

Hey, so as you all can see I am pretty new here but I have a quick question.

My tank is about 3 weeks old with LS & a few pieces of LR. I need to buy more but really don't want to spend more $$ on rock if I don't need to. So here is my question... I have a friend who has 170 lbs of rock from his old saltwater tank that has been sitting on a shelf for over a year. He is looking to sell it for 2.00 per pound. Is this a good deal and would this be okay in my tank?

Thanks

My tank is about 3 weeks old with LS & a few pieces of LR. I need to buy more but really don't want to spend more $$ on rock if I don't need to. So here is my question... I have a friend who has 170 lbs of rock from his old saltwater tank that has been sitting on a shelf for over a year. He is looking to sell it for 2.00 per pound. Is this a good deal and would this be okay in my tank?

Thanks

In my country the price is 10$per pound..........(of course maybe 50% of the price is shipping )

Thanks

I'm sure it would be fine. If it's been sitting on a shelf, I'd recommend washing it really good in some fresh water, then letting it sit in some saltwater for a day or so. Who knows what has settled or landed on that rock in the last year. I will take some time for that old rock to re-seed.

I'm sure it would be fine. If it's been sitting on a shelf, I'd recommend washing it really good in some fresh water, then letting it sit in some saltwater for a day or so. Who knows what has settled or landed on that rock in the last year. I will take some time for that old rock to re-seed.

Thaks guys for the help, ill let the rock sit for a few days in salt water. When I saw the 2.00 price tag I got a little gitty...

Edited by Biocube86