Top Shelf Aquatics

Snowflake Clownfish laying eggs

christosclowns

christosclowns

I hope I can post this here if not please place it where it is supposed to go thank you

th_HPIM4899.jpg

49054942.jpg

49104943.jpg

49204945.jpg

49004940.jpg

49024941.jpg

I hope yall enjoy

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW :o

That's absolutely amazing, thank you so much for sharing it with us too. Looks like your gonna be a daddy soon (or mommy :) ). Those snowflakes go for quite a bit too, dont they?

Almost forgot, welcome to Nano-Reef :welcome:

Congrats! Now the "real work" begins! It'll be interesting to see what the markings will be between a snowflake and a percula will be! Keep us updated!

christosclowns

Well thank you very much for your interest and I am so excited this was there first spawn and we will have to see what happens. I think the male is a lilttle uncertain on what to do he seems to be eating the eggs which i figured would happen since it is there first spawn. My onyx male ate the eggs for the first 4 spawns then he got the hang of it. Oh and these fish are both occelaris. The male is a snowflake variant but bloodline occelaris and mama dukes is a reg occelaris. My percula picassos look like this

46624702.jpg

46864706.jpg

46874707.jpg

46654703.jpg

46434698.jpg

Those are percula

And these are my other snowflakes figured id share

47724846.jpg

47694844.jpg

47714845.jpg

47744848.jpg

47814850.jpg

christosclowns

I am just as excited as you are lol. I am like a kid on christmas. I won two restaurants in the tampa area and I do this for fun. I cant wait to see there offspring and share them with the public. And I am very glad to be aprt of N-R I would love to get info on becoming a sponsor and raffle off some fish

I am just as excited as you are lol. I am like a kid on christmas. I won two restaurants in the tampa area and I do this for fun. I cant wait to see there offspring and share them with the public. And I am very glad to be aprt of N-R I would love to get info on becoming a sponsor and raffle off some fish

That would be awesome, I know that a lot of people have trouble getting a hold of these rare color morphs of clowns.

You can PM Christopher Marks about sponsorship.

He is the site creator :)

christosclowns

Ocho Cinco the secret is patience. Seriously patience has allot to do with it but ill give you some advice form what I have seen works on making clowns spawn. I dont feed what normal people feed. All my breeders have the same diet. 6- 10 times a day. I feed them what they would eat in the wild, and people think that clowns eat shrimp, squid,mussels,etcc.. Krill lol. When does a clown see krill when there in two seperate parts of the world. I know yo might think im crazy and your gonna say that its to smal but my secret is cyclopeez. I power feed cyclopeez till they cant take anymore. And i also feed spectrum thera a pellet, but i soak it with selco, garlic, and astaxanthin. I dose my tanks with iodine every day. I keep a stable temp of 84-85 in all tanks. I run 16 hour light cycles. I want algae blooms and i also put soem rotifer in there tanks live rotifer. I have begun to think like a clown thats how crazy ive gotten lol. No seriously i should have made my name Clown Whisperer lol jk. You have to make them feel its ok to have babies. When there is a phyto bloom clowns know there wiull be food for there juveniles. Motherly instincts, I feel, afre in all species of fish and other animals but thats what I do. I do 50 percent water changes once a week they love it. If you have any questions feel free

Wow, thats great advice Christo, and makes perfect sense too (about the motherly instinct)... One day, I wanna try to breed clowns once I have enough room.

christclowns..... What is the lineage of your clowns? Are they ORA, Bonesreef, etc.? Just wondering, I've not seen ORAs' picassos or snowflakes look like that. BTW, the clowns in my avatar are ORA picassos. ;)

christosclowns

Basser you can call me Erik thats my nick name lol. Anyway your clowns are beautiful by the way, they look like they might just be old enough to spawn for you, how old are they? To answer you question my clowns are form my own broodstock. The picassos breeders came form a good friend of mine whos reg percs, not even picasso patterns through those picasso pattern fish I have. I couldnt believe it either it was very wierd, ud think picasso parents would only do that. His reg barred percs made those guys and the one with the mask. My snowflakes came from england about 2 years ago. I have no fish from ORA, nothing against them i just went to close friends for my rare clowns, Bill Addison at c quest and Morgan lidster for my black occ, reg occ, and of course My Onyx Clowns. Which are from the same litter that Rod Bhueler got his from. I f there is anything else youd like to know let me know bud see ya.

Oh and thank you Chaloupa

christosclowns

I will post pictures of the whole set up this weekend maybe today for some reason last night got a lil silly since its new years and I think my digital has yager in it lol its not turning on. Anyway i turned the temp up to 84 85 to induce spawning yes. I think its actually great for everyday, I havent found any reason to lower it. Yes you do get cyano build up but that is a combo form both high temp and 16 hour light cycles. Oxygen depletion would be your main concern with high temp but if you have good water movement and a large pump your fine. I actually run the tanks 84 to 85 in the winter and 87 89 in the summer. Some people think im crazy but it works for me. It gets there metablism up and they eat lke pigs. I dont recommend for everyone because having these temperatures does increase the amount of water changes you have to do and it also increases algae bloom. I as far as from a coral perspective i owuld run your tanks cooler. Tanks with corals, inverts etc.. in my home are all 76 77 degrees they seem to thrive at that temp. Dont forget the tanks i have are acrylic runs like you would see in a shop with dividers and i will post pictures of them. I am currently building a new system so i will update when I am all done. I only run a clay pot and bare bottom no snails, no crabs, no cleaners. For clowns that havent spawned raising the temp and ding things I mentiond earlier in the post will enhace spawning

Erik, I think you gave me some insight as to why my clowns have not spawned yet. They are in my BC29 which has corals, inverts, and other fish. I keep the temps cooler than the 84 to 85 degrees that you do. I also feed them a couple of times a day with either brine or PE mysis shrimp. I have cyclopeeze and I may give that a try.

It's frustrating, because they go thru the "mating" dance every day, shimmying, twitching and cleaning surfaces. I've even seen them cleaning the back of the tank, they will take turns doing this verically. I've even placed a tile in there thinking maybe they will use it to lay their eggs on. Oh well, wishful thinking I guess! ;)

christosclowns

Basser its difficult to raise your temp to 84 85 in a coral or inver tank because more thank likely they wont like it. Corals and inveets like it a bit cooler. Needless to say your clowns will spawn at lower temps ranging from 78 to 81 but it may take longer. They just might not be ready yet. The male is the female prob is not. I have a pair of blacks that are about a year and a half old they clean every day all day for the past 6 months and yet nothing. So dont feel discouraged it happens. Try to stay away form the brine it has no nutritional value. YOu should power feed the cyclopeeze and also feed rotifer to your tank. Some clowns just need the comfort zone. I started thinking like a fish lmao sorry to say that. Im like well if I was a chick and i wanted to have kids would i go ahead and have kids with no money no food on my table and a bunch of loonatics running around me prob not. In your case the clown being the chick she needs to feel comfortable. She needs to have a single pice of territory which she calls her home. And she needs to know that when she does produce there will be rotifer and food for her babies, Thats why higher temps work,. Higher temp you get algae bloom with algae bloom comes the finer foods in the wild like rotifer and plankton. I might sound a bit crazy but it makes sense. And trust me they will get full on cyclopeeze if you power feed it. If you have any questions let me know.

christosclowns

Power feeding is giving them small portions of food many times a day. I call it power feeding. I feed them at each meal enough to where they dont want anymore then 2 to three hours i give them more. This is my feeding cycle. I take cyclopeeze, freeze dried or reg and i put it in a bottle of water ro 12 oz. i put like 5 teaspoons of it. I sake it well the i do like two capfuls to three capfuls for each tank. I feed 7 am cyclopeeze. 10 am thera a pellet soaked with garlic, 1 pm frozen mysis, 3 pm spirulina brine, 5 pm my frozen concoction of shrimp and salmon, 8 pm mullet roe or any roe i got, 9pm pellet, 930 cyclopeeze, 10 pm mysis, before lights out at like quarter to 11 cclopeeze again. so they get a variety but i find they sometimes dont want one thing and want another. I f your clown spits what you want to feed out then starve them. I starve some pairs for 4 days and then introduce what i want them to eat they have no choice. So saying what I have said some people dont have time I have a wonderful wife who does some feedings when I am at my business and i set everything up for her. And by the way the male snowflake has officially ate all the eggs. Im gonna kill him lol jk. Im keeping my fingers crossed he gets the hang of what to do and stop being silly

Archived