inTank Media Baskets

Preventative dips for your zoanthids...

The Propagator

The Propagator

Well, We all know by now to quarantine or at the very least do a quick dip for pests and disease on our new zoanthids before entering them in to our systems. We also know various ways to kill of diseases contracted in the tanks long after they have been added.

But what about preventative maintenance dips ?

I have been experimenting now for the last 4-5 months.

I had a bout a while back with all sorts of nasties in my zoanthids ( a long time ago and all have since more then recovered ;) )

Well after months of fiddling around and finally curing the bastages I thought about a preventative dip regimen. Because lets face it. chit happens. You can literally transfer things on your skin from one tank to another just like contracting the common cold from a friend who shook hands with you after sneezing.

The very best thing I have found to do as a repeated dip regimen is frsh RODI water with a light dosing of Iodine. ( I use 5mil per half gallon and dip them for no more then 2 minutes swishing them around and watching for blisters and other signs of stress.)

I have been doing this now twice a month and I must say it is really helping my zoan's and paly's. The fresh water flushed off critters, the iodine does as well but it also helps heal infected corals. (It will just about cut the healing time in half for just about all frags including lps, and sps when fragging as well. Of course I am not saying dip sps in fresh water an iodine, or anything other then zoanthids. Please do not be confused here. I simply mean you can use the iodine for an excellent healing agent on them all. You would of course use freshly mixed, or tank water with iodine for anything else other then zoanthids. You can use SW or tank water and iodine on zoanthids as well though. There is no rule book. Its just that short term FWD's work best for me on the zoanthids.

Just thought I would share with you guys and gals a good way to keep your zoanthids in tip top shape on a regular basis. Maybe som eof you already do this, maybe you don't... I just hope its useful to some and help ssome one out. :D

It beats the chit out of a furan dip with less stress, and cost effectiveness, and it beats coral dip by miles. Coral cure pro is essentially hoped up iodine and ro water as well.

So.. give it a shot, BUT remember not to leave them in long, to swish them around, and to watch for blisters, and do not exceed 5mil per half gallon.

Once you get it down it will be second nature to you :)

D

Well, We all know by now to quarantine or at the very least do a quick dip for pests and disease on our new zoanthids before entering them in to our systems. We also know various ways to kill of diseases contracted in the tanks long after they have been added.

But what about preventative maintenance dips ?

I have been experimenting now for the last 4-5 months.

I had a bout a while back with all sorts of nasties in my zoanthids ( a long time ago and all have since more then recovered ;) )

Well after months of fiddling around and finally curing the bastages I thought about a preventative dip regimen. Because lets face it. chit happens. You can literally transfer things on your skin from one tank to another just like contracting the common cold from a friend who shook hands with you after sneezing.

The very best thing I have found to do as a repeated dip regimen is frsh RODI water with a light dosing of Iodine. ( I use 5mil per half gallon and dip them for no more then 2 minutes swishing them around and watching for blisters and other signs of stress.)

I have been doing this now twice a month and I must say it is really helping my zoan's and paly's. The fresh water flushed off critters, the iodine does as well but it also helps heal infected corals. (It will just about cut the healing time in half for just about all frags including lps, and sps when fragging as well )

Just thought I would share with you guys and gals a good way to keep your zoanthids in tip top shape on a regular basis. Maybe som eof you already do this, maybe you dont... I just hope its useful to some and help ssome one out. :D

It beats the chit out of a furan dip with less stress, and cost effectiveness, and it beats coral dip by miles. Coral cure pro is essentially hoped upo iodine and ro water as well.

So.. give it a shot, BUT remember not to leave them in long, to swish them around, and to watch for blisters, and do not exceed 5mil per half gallon.

Once you get it down it will be second nature to you :)

D

Thanks for the info. My tank is 75% zoas so I am interested in your information. However I assume this would not work if your zoas are attached to your live rocks?

Also Ive been curious about this, im sorry it doesny pertain to your thread but, with my zoas covering my live rocks, how will I frag them off in the future when they begin to crowd each other? I would love to believe they cover the rocks and stay beautiful, but I am assuming what will happen is more agressive zoas will start to crowd out less agressive ones? I just wat to be ready on how to thin them out? I would appreciate your advice.

Great write up. So you dip all your fresh cuttings in this solution? I need to frag up a few SPS and have never done so. How would you use Lugols in your dipping? 2-3 drops per half gallon?

Just ordered some TLF Revive to dip some Bali Maricultured SPS in when the LFS gets them in (probably just iodine but it was $8.....whatever).

The Propagator

You'll have to remove the rock or what ever they are on to dip them if possible guys. Other wise I don't know what to tell ya :D

Yeah I dip the newly cut frags in Iodine as well, BUT I should clarify and I see I need to go back and edit in...

I do not dip freshly cut coral in a freshwater with iodine dip. I dip them in a SW with iodine dip. Freshwater & iodine is reserved specifically for my zoanthids, and only on frags and colonies that were not recently glued down.

I use Kent marine concentrated iodine.

You have a great New Year too Richy !! :D

Archived