Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY Nano Reef Calcium Reactor

wetworx101

Well, I think I found an el-cheapo way to make a reactor. The plastics supplier had these scrap 3" pieces of acrylic tubing and pre cut squares (4"x4"). I used weldon3 to join them and then 16 to solidify the joints. Bonded both tubes to one base. Then I used masonry bits to drill out the holes for the 1/4" air fitting and the two PVC adapters. The top of each chamber was easily opened up with a 2-1/8" hole saw, and then covered using a basic sink washer and extra piece of acrylic square with holes drilled through to run 1/4" nylon bolts through. I used weldon16 to bond the 1/2" PVC to the acrylic.

This is the concept. No CO2 bottle. The chamber with just the airline running out of the top is for vinegar and baking soda...maybe I will look into some other chemicals as well. The CO2 may not last long, but since it is only allowed to come out at maybe 8 bubbles per minute...it should last at least a day, no? The reactor is going to be pumped into from the bottom, then sucked out through the top. Before it goes into the pump (mounted at the top), the CO2 will be introduced via a clear piece of 1/2" PVC so I can watch the bubbles as they come up through the bottom of the PVC with no water flowing through it, just past it, like the new GEO or Korallin reactors. The in/out water lines would be run the same as well.

My question is this: What pump should I use? It needs to be external, but no more than 200gph...more would be overkill.

I used a 4-way 1/2" PVC fitting to support the bottom, but I had to cut it up a little to get it to fit through the 2-1/8" hole I had in the top. It also helps it fit next to the bottom inlet.

Calcium reactors need a slow flow. A was told to get a max 150gp for my regular size reactor. I would get a minijet or micro jet. A good rule of thumb is to keep a steady drip of water coming out. This is all second hand info I picked up on RC.

Yes, you are right. Actually, the flow through the substrate can be as fast as you want...it's just the output/input that you want to bo almost a drip. I need a pump that has threaded inputs and outputs...an external pump...which I dont believe the mini/microjet are...are they?

I need a pump that has threaded inputs and outputs...an external pump...which I dont believe the mini/microjet are...are they?

I don't know, but in my freshwater days I used flexible vinyl tubing and an automobile hose clamp to plumb a powerhead's output elsewhere. Unless the pump overheats when in air instead of water, you could probably rig something.

do u have a sump? maybe u can just let it siphon into ur calcium reactor and into ur sump? Than have ur sump pump take it from their. I really wish u luck. I need to find a decent low pressure regulator to control the Co2. I really wish u luck.

That is a great little Calcium reactor, you shhould really be proud!! I cant wait to get my acrylic tubing, and my acrylic sheets in, cuz I'm gonna start building a kalk and calc reactor, for my 40. but I should have some left over, to build a small calcium reactor for my 10 nano! Thanks for the pics, it really does look great.

DvS

• 2 weeks later...

has any one thought of using a co2 bottle from a paintball gun? They are cheap and you can refill it a dick's. I threw this idea out i think on some other board and didn't get a response. I don't know what you need for a regulator but there must be some way to make it work. Seems almost ideal for a nano reactor.

Tom

I thought of that...being an avid baller myself...but I dont think the level of precision allowed would be enough. The compressed air tank used on my timmy is just that, not CO2. The reason that I mention it is even though it is not CO2, nitro/CA tanks have been made with much more control over air pressure thanks to their popularity and dual-regulated outputs. But even at thet...they do not have the accuracy needed for dosing CO2...nor the longevity. Balling regs are made to be used for short periods in comparison to the 24/7 of the usual reactor. This extended exposure comprimises a paintball reg even more. paintball regs are have control over pressure measured in just that...and that even fluxes as the tank goes on. I have seen dual-regs that vary by as much as 10psi throughout a game. reactors need accuracy far greater than this. they need measures of bubbles per minute!! A flux of even 1 psi can double the bubble rate in a reactor and have deadly results.

And that is just compressed air...not CO2. CO2 bottles hardly ever even get regs in paintball...they just plug into the gun. Therefore alot of 'hot' and 'cold' shooting is involved with using CO2 that makes it even more unreliable (for just paintball even...and thus the move towards nitro/CA tanks).

The reg is perhaps the most important piece of equipment on a reactor with bottled CO2...dont skimp on it. Good ones are easily purchased for under $100...dont you think your reef is worth more than that?

wetworx101,

You are also a paintballer? Cool. I am into it and also have an small company that sells stuff like Halos and paint. Pretty much what ever you want. A buddy and I are also opening an Airball field currently. Maybe we can trade PB stuff for Reef stuff? Let me know. Thanks. Back to the subject:

I agree with you on the reg. There has to be another way. Anyone with experience with the CO2 fizzy tabs or the CO2 block like they use in Freshwater plant tanks?

ww

Oh yeah my reef is worth more than $100 That is not the issue. I just figured that there would be some application that would crossover and have parts that worked. I dunno really no need to get all PB crazy. I didn't state that I was thinking of using a paintball reg ether. I thought the bottle size was ideal for a nano setup instead of a 5 pound unit.

There must be some industry that creates a small accurate double reg. It might not be cheaper than the unit for a 5 pounder though.

Please don't take for granted that I don't think about the saftey of my animals. I guess with nano's some people hop into it with little means to support their hobby. I wasn't suggesting a ghetto reactor, just a smaller tank than the 5. Sorry if you though I was hijacking

Tom

"regulated Co2 user" and not shooting hot but then I again I have shot a phantom for the last 12 years.

hey, tsalter, no need to take it personal...wanst goin crazy on ya or suggesting you in particular didnt value your reef...only reason I went into it like that is cuz I have researched the same idea. Wasnt blastin your idea...i had the same one a while back. alllright? S' ok dude. You'll be okay...I'm still your buddy...youre makin me all choked up man...be tough guy...c'mon, were all buddies here...I didnt mean it like that...:*(

LOL

chalk sticks (formed calcium carbonate) + vinegar = co2

maybe you might want to consider this over the sugar-yeast. chalk sticks would be more consistant (you determine how much you're adding to the acetic acid) than yeast. yeast= initial high co2 production followed by slow decrease as food is used up and wastes accumulate. yes using chalk would reaquire you to pop the top more often, but it's inexpensive (less than 10cents per stick) and from experience in my FW planted past, changing yeasty brew is a PITA (have you considered mounting each cylinder on a separate base so it's easier to change out your vinegar - when needed?)

or, a 2.5lb aluminum cylinder is only a foot or so high and in the long run would probably be more reliable and cleaner, but i'm all for the diy spirit. :P (go you)

those tiny german ca reactors use mag pumps btw.

Interesting idea...never thought about what chalk was made of...good idea. And the seperate cylinder idea....good as well.

As of right now, the nano-reactor is on hold...I origionally had posted an idea about how to make the nano-reactor out of a GE water filter run in a loop with a simple standpipe to add arag to filter instead of those carbon & sediment cartridges...but then I got the plastic pieces for the nano-reactor for free from the plastics supplier and that sure beats $29 for the filter!!

The project is on hold because I am going through a change over on my nanos. I took down the 20H and added all it's contents to my 60 cube. The 60 already has a korallin 1502 on it and my thought was that if I set up the new nano near the 60 I could just run them both into the same sump and fuge setup that is already in place...making it not so nano...I know it is cheating..but then I dont have to run another reactor...or I could. I could just split the CO2 lines before the bubble counters and add another needle valve and then I would have two reactors running off the same bottle...a 20 pounder.

And I will go with an eheim then. The new nano was getting an eheim 1260 pump (600gph) and I was just going to get the 150gph model at the same time. I have many eheim products and have never had a problem...so why change now over a few bucks more?

• 2 weeks later...

wrt: the chalk sticks...

At this point, I think there is a fundamental loophole...

chalk sticks are made of calcium carbonate...you basically make chalk by taking KALKWASSER poweder (ie; "Chalk Water", Calcium hydroxide) and dumping it in water, then the precipitate is .... chalk sticks!

So now the suggestion is to then add vinegar to redissolve the chalk, releasing C02, which is then pumped into your reactor to...dissolve calcium carbonate media (ie; yet more chalk in the form of crushed coral!) .... so .... it seems to me that you are dissolving chalk to dissolve chalk!

Bottom line (IMO) is that you might as well just build a kalkwasser reactor.

V

Archived