Top Shelf Aquatics

My Sump Design

uwwmatt

neanderthalman

I'd move the skimmer to the left hand section so that any microbubbles produced have to pass through the bubble trap before making it to the return section. The skimmer pump can be anywhere, the same section, the fuge section, or the return section.

Edited for clarity.

Why dedicate so much room to the area where the overflow from the display will empty (chamber 1). I'd squish this down some and make my useable fuge space bigger.

set it up like this:

fuge-1.jpg

water goes in first chamber, which will be a constant water area for your skimmer pump and heater, then passes into second chamber which is the refugium, then flows over second divider, under a third and over a fourth to the pump, breaking up any bubbles in the process. set the height of the second baffle at the water level you want in the sump. the skimmer will operate better with a consistant water level, you will maximize fuge space, and eliminate microbubbles before they get to the pump.

I'd move the skimmer to the left hand section so that any microbubbles produced have to pass through the bubble trap before making it to the return section. The skimmer pump can be anywhere, the same section, the fuge section, or the return section.

Edited for clarity.

I have no experience with AquaC Urchin, or any other skimmer for that matter, but when I plugged it in for a test run the water that comes out of the side of the skimmer just rolls down the side and into the water. I didn't notice any bubbles at all.

Just in case I think I will take xbwolfx's advice and switch the baffles to the other side. Is there any benifits to having a larger or smaller section in chamber 1?

I have no experience with AquaC Urchin, or any other skimmer for that matter, but when I plugged it in for a test run the water that comes out of the side of the skimmer just rolls down the side and into the water. I didn't notice any bubbles at all.

Just in case I think I will take xbwolfx's advice and switch the baffles to the other side. Is there any benifits to having a larger or smaller section in chamber 1?

so it doesn't waste space and you can maximize your refugium footprint. it's a good idea to leave it a little bigger so you can upgrade the skimmer later if you want, but don't take up a third of the sump with an empty chamber.

Archived