inTank Media Baskets

Bio-Orb DIY LED fixture

Jeff.:P:.

Well with the help of Evil and some other members I was able to complete this project and learn some interesting stuff. Here's a LED fixture that I rebuilt for my parents Bio-orb that has some shrimp's, softies, GSP, clown. The original fixture crapped out and after seeing some of the builds here I figured that LED's would fit the need. Man these things are bright It kinda looks like the arc reactor from Iron Man. I gutted the existing fixture and just used the plastic shield. The sofites and shrooms were fine under the stock light, but they pop with this fixture.

parts list

Xitanium 120VAC, 12W, 700mA Driver

(4) Endor Rebel - Cool White, Emitter, 180 Lumens @ 700mA

(4) Luxeon III Star LED - Royal Blue Lambertian, 340 mW @ 700mA

computer heatsinks with chip set

stock fixture

bio-orb-led.gif

heatsink w/fan with chip heatsinks.

3108569558_f6a86e0572.jpg?v=0

guts, please don't mind the thermal paste, and mssy wiring ;)

3107735227_48fa8d7f0d.jpg?v=0

Cool. See if you can get a night shot. The light from the window is throwing off the white balance. Get some closeups too while you are at it. :)

Banner is on the way.

I put I micro-jet 450 in the rear of the tank, and split the flow to get around the tank. I think it puts out 120gph, not bad for a tiny little thing. And it gets the job done, since the air pump wasn't doing much.

Nice. How's the flow with just running the air pump?
  • 1 month later...

Nice DIY Build!

It's certainly good to see the advancement of DIY aquarium lighting. In my opinion commercial fixtures; whether they be PC, T5, MH, LED, or anything else are overly expensive and are definitely a limiting factor when it comes to the growth and stability of the hobby. I mean if it were easier to provide for highly photosynthetic corals people could more easily grow them and frag them and hopefully decrease the impact of coral harvesting on the oceans. Does anyone else agree? I mean at the very least people would be able to enjoy their tanks more...

Anyways, thanks for the pictures and the details.

Not SLR, point and shoot. Elf's were the super compact cameras.

o i c i thought you were talking about like an elf that gets shot out of a cannon.lol

Thats intersting I was told you couldn't put Softies in with the LED light unit. i have the same one and now I am interested to know how yours are doing, please let me know, have the survived and what did you put in your Biorb??? I was also told that feather dsteers need more space than in a 60L biorb. Please let me know whats in your tank and oer what period you added eveything.

Cheers

Stu

Thats intersting I was told you couldn't put Softies in with the LED light unit. i have the same one and now I am interested to know how yours are doing, please let me know, have the survived and what did you put in your Biorb??? I was also told that feather dsteers need more space than in a 60L biorb. Please let me know whats in your tank and oer what period you added eveything.

Cheers

Stu

The stock LED unit will grow some softies but a piece of crap IMO. The stock LED unit broke when the thin wiring kept rubbing and eventually shorted out. Then I made a modified LED unit with high intensity 6 LEDs.

The DIY LED unit has maybe 5-6 times more intensity then the stock one. Everything is thriving under the new LED's. I've had the feather dusters since the beginning of the tank. I'd give it 1-2 months until adding corals (cycle). After that have fun.

Currently the tank has mini-anems, zoas, paly's, gsp, xenia, anthelia, 2 featherdusters, 3 peppermint shrimp, clownfish. Make sure you get some flow in your Biorb.

I'm going to rip out the airtube, and possibly rescape in the near future. macro algae is growing nuts and needs to be trimmed every week, but keeps the parameters in check.

Geez, nice light mod. ;)

No wonder searches didn't show this one... you call it a Bio-Orb, lol.

Thanks ;)

Ah ok, it cetainatly looks like a fantastic mod and the lights are very bright indeed. I think i may build my own light unit using LEDs in the near future as a little project, if you have any plans or guides that would be really useful.

My flow is perfectly fine as I have stripped out the standard filter out of the tank and have a powerhead with two nozzles, one pointing to the surface creating great surface movement and the other pointing towrds my LR check out:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2050121

To see photos and let me know what you think?

Very cool. Is there a cap piece from the original fixture so that you could cover the electronics, it's a small detail but would make it much more slick. If not I smell a fab DIY...

Archived