Pod Your Reef

The 55 gallon club.

Kraylen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my up and running in the beginning of October and haven't been able to do much with it due to work and money. But here's what i'm rockin with

AGA 55g (durr, of course)

AGA black pine stand

ESU 65 g needle wheel skimmer

AGA 20l sump (not in full function yet, waiting for more funds to get a better pump)

So now i have a marine land bio wheel HOB filter with no wheels on it.

48" ESU Lunar Aqualight Deluxe Series Double Linear Strip

PureFlo 2 50GPD RO/DI Unit

100 lbs of Fiji Live rock

and two damsels, lol.

on order as of today:

HYD PUMP KORALIA 2 UL 600GPH (x2)

But the good news is that i have the next few weeks off for vacation and i'm going to be putting double time into this bad boy. Here's some pics. Going to work on the aqua-scaping a bit today.

post-36568-1226691517_thumb.jpg

current

post-36568-1226691508_thumb.jpg

when i started it

• 1 month later...

I have a 20 gallon AGA, but I also have a 55 gallon AGA with a few African cichlids left over. I'm thinking of converting the 55 gallon to salt, but I'm trying to avoid the whole drilling & sump deal. I don't think it will be feasible. Anyone have a 55 without a sump? Basically, I'm taking my 20 gallon & turning it into 55 gallons.

dsc03126rb0.th.jpg

^ That's my current 20 gallon & that's how I want the 55 to end up looking, but without all the fancy equipment other than the fancy lights. Heh! Is it possible to do it like I've done with the 20 gallon or should I just go out & get a whole new drilled out tank? I'm trying to go as natural filtration as possible & minimal equipment. Hmmmm.... (^_^ ) ??

Great Idea Kraylen,

I actually just turned on the pumps/overflow as of 7:51pm for the first time. :D

55g AGA

20g Custom acrylic sump/fuge

2x150W HQI MH 2x54W T5 Fluorescent

ASM G1 Skimmer, 2x#3 Hydor Koralia's

9W UV Sterilize, 55w fuge light

2x stealth 150w heaters

these are pre-fill pics, I'll update with new scaped pics next week.

3054483535_4dc166d5a6.jpg?v=0

3054483803_11c83b29ae.jpg?v=0

Great Idea Kraylen,

I actually just turned on the pumps/overflow as of 7:51pm for the first time. :D

55g AGA

20g Custom acrylic sump/fuge

2x150W HQI MH 2x54W T5 Fluorescent

ASM G1 Skimmer, 2x#3 Hydor Koralia's

9W UV Sterilize, 55w fuge light

2x stealth 150w heaters

these are pre-fill pics, I'll update with new scaped pics next week.

3054483535_4dc166d5a6.jpg?v=0

3054483803_11c83b29ae.jpg?v=0

Omggggggggggggggggg it owns me. SICCKKKKK build man....

Omggggggggggggggggg it owns me. SICCKKKKK build man....

Thanks Kraylen. I put in some LR last night, I gotta snap some photos and start my build thread.

Here's my 55. Been goin for about 2 years. 260 watts of pure pc's, pic just actinics.

151.jpg

The tangs have been in there for about 2 months do to a friend breaking down his tank, and they will go into my 135 once it's setup.

Nice 55 man.What hood is it? Coralife 4 bulb?

Nope, just an odyssea off ebay. I switched out the bulbs though for current usa bulbs.

EDIT: Still 4 bulb though, 4x65

Sick man, hows that light holding up for you? I've been really wanting to pick up the 4x65 + 2 x 250MH Odyssea hood and do evilc66's ballast upgrades. 760w of light is an insane amount, I could run just the 500wMH... either way it would be SICK growth for whatever I do.

Sick man, hows that light holding up for you? I've been really wanting to pick up the 4x65 + 2 x 250MH Odyssea hood and do evilc66's ballast upgrades. 760w of light is an insane amount, I could run just the 500wMH... either way it would be SICK growth for whatever I do.

It's been doin great actually, I don't even bother using the legs it came with though, just rest it on the tank. When I first got it one of the actinic bulbs didn't turn on but after a few smacks it worked and still does to this day.

I also have a 250 watt odyssea on my 30g, have had it for about 7 months. It came working fine except the moonlights, just one of the wires came out- no biggie though, just some electrical tape fixed it. Didn't have a problem with the moonlights on the pc's though.

The fans are pretty damn loud for the mh though, pc's are about average I would say.

EDIT: the bulb that comes with the mh is a POS as well

yeah thats the only think I hate about MH is the loud fans, but then again all my equipment is loud... sump... skimmer... lights, all noisy as hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine,

I'm runnin:

55g display

20g fuge with LR and Chaeto

skimmer: reef octopus 350 External / BH-100 hang on

2x 150w metal halides

2x 4ft NO actinics

66 lbs of LR in display (probably more than that now)

as for fish I currently have:

A spawning pair of occelaris clowns (1x black and white 1x normal)

1x Western Australian lawnmower blenny

1x exquisite wrasse

1x sixline wrasse

And i want to add a potters angelfish and a long nose hawk

Here's the pic

IMGP2294.jpg

edit: put up a more recent photo

my light fixture is just about 4 ft But the ballast for the left bulb just blew, i'm gonna replace it tomorow, that's why its dark on half the tank and also why I've crowded more corals over to the right

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have two 55gals, both are empty. and when i get my own place im going to connect them through a sump. Side by side along a wall.

Archived