Coral Vue Hydros

Atomics 90g Mixed Reef

Atomic081

About 6 months ago i decided to take the plunge and upgrade tank larger than my 24g Aquapod. After a month of research about new and used tanks i decided to go with a 90gal. Its big enough to have most of the fish that i wanted, but small enough that it doesnt completely drain my bank account. I found a local Reefer that was looking to get out of the hobby and had a 90gal for sale.

The package included:

90g with corner overflow

30" tall stand

Canopy

2 250w MH lights

3 48" Actinic VHO lights

Rubermaid Sump

ASM G-3 In-Sump Skimmer w/pump

My Reef Creation Ca Reactor w/ 2 Co2 Bottles

5 Mag pumps of all sized for return pumps

Coralife Turbo-Twist 6X - 18 Watt UV Sterilizer

100lbs of LR with all types of Corals

2 5gal buckets of Livesand

Other Misc stuff like timers, heaters, buckets, salt, powerheads, etc

I decided that i was not a big fan of the 30" stand and canopy. So i have taken up the task of making a new stand and canopy. As of this point i have only made the stand, but i plan on making the canopy in the coming few weeks.

Other improvements i have done

30” long BERLIN sump with attached REFUGIUM

Took out Coralife Turbo-Twist 6X - 18 Watt UV Sterilizer

2 Koralia 3's

New plumbing

added CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand to the white sand to give a Salt and Pepper look.

My livestock list includes (or will include)

1 Yellow Tang

1 Blue Hippo Tang

1 Flame Angel

1 Blackcap Basslet

1 Bluespot Jawfish (RIP always cover your tank if you have one of these fish)

1 Orange Clownfish

1 Black and White Clownfish

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Blue Mandarine goby

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Peperment Shrimp

1 bubble tip Anemone

1 Clam

1 Feather Duster

1 Chocolate Chip Starfish

1 Flower Rock Anemone

Corals: I plan on keeping primarily SPS but i do have a few LPS and Softies

Lots of SPS of all kinds

1 Torch

2 Frogspawn

1 Hammer

1 Plate coral

1 Red Open Brain

1 Duncan

1 Green Maze Brain

Zoanthids of all colors

Candycane

Mushrooms

and many others

Ill try to keep this updated so everyone can see my progress through the next few years. (or until i get the urge to go to a bigger tank!!!!)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some Pics, ill post some better pictures when i get my better camera charged

Full Shot

FishSale031.jpg

FishSale037.jpg

Stand (not finished, needs doors and stained)

Fish11-8-08b022.jpg

Canopy open (bright!!!)

FishSale029.jpg

Left Side

Fish11-8-08b037.jpg

Right Side

Fish11-8-08003.jpg

More to come of corals and fish within the hour

damn you for reminding me how much i wanted a big tank :P

that's definitely one of the nicer tanks on the site right now. i like the stained glass on the canopy, very creative.

Actually the glass on the canopy is clear and i have taped a blue pad that is made for the tank to sit on. Kinda like a buffer so it wont hurt the floor. Anyway i kinda like it but if you dont put the blue pad in the back it BLINDING!!! So im going to make a new canopy that matches the stand. This one will be for sale for cheep or for some frags in a few weeks.

Today i ordered a 20 SPS Frag pack. It should be here sometime next week. It should be my last big purchase for a while.

Pack includes

ORA Pearlberry - 1"

ORA Blue Tort - 1"

Forest Fire Orange Montipora digitata - 1"

Steve Elias Blue Stag - 1.5" (mounted and encrusted)

ORA Rose Millepora - 1"

Blue Tipped Tabling Tri-Color, 1"

Dr. Foster & Smith Pink Birdnest - 1"

Bali Yellow Millepora

Green Montipora digitata - 1 (mounted and encrusted)

ORA Green Birdnest - 1

Bali Sunburst - 1

Encrusting Purple polyp Montipora -1

Yellow Acropora Aculeus - 1

Dr. Foster's Wildwood Bottle Brush Acropora Coral - 1

Reefer Madness Unknow Orange Acropora - 1

Reefer Madness Pocillopora damicornis - 1

Ora Turquoise Staghorn - 1

ORA Chips - 1

Orange Cap - 1

Pack of 10 polyps assorted Zoanthids

Im really exciting about having a few of the ORA SPS that i can trade in the future.

As ive been looking at SPS tanks I am noticing that they do not use a lot of live rock. I am sure this is because of the growth of SPS compared to other corals. So as I am converting my tank from a primarily Softy and LPS tank to a SPS tank I am thinking that i have way to much live rock in my tank. What do most of you think? Should i take out some of the smaller pieces of live rock toward the top of my tank to allow for growth of all my new SPS coming next week??

Today I have moved around a few of the top rocks and placed them in my sump. I think that this will make a nice shelf to place all the SPS.

Today i also saw my Clownfish hosting my BTA for the first time ever. I did not ever think this would happen. I had tried to get them to host all types of LPS with no luck. I guess they knew what they wanted the whole time.

Pics!!!

So i thought i would add a few pics of the new rockwork. Most people will not know any difference but it gives me alot more room to place the new SPS that should be here on Tuesday. Check back in then to see the new pics. Maybe ill have my good camera charged by then.

Old Aquascape

Good.jpg

New Aquascape

Fish11-16008.jpg

SPS and Anemone: Can you see any growth? i cant yet.

Fish11-16003.jpg

Fish11-16002.jpg

Fish11-16009.jpg

Fish11-16012.jpg

Like the rockscape arches and other interesting shapes are far more artisitc and natural than a pile of rock. You should paint the back black though as it would make the arches appear as dark caves, that could be cool. :)

Like the rockscape arches and other interesting shapes are far more artisitc and natural than a pile of rock. You should paint the back black though as it would make the arches appear as dark caves, that could be cool. :)

Thanks!!! I am glad you like the rockscape as much as i do. Im currently trying to find another alternative to "painting" the back black. I really like the black look and how it makes the colors pop. Ive heard of people using black plastic w/ cooking oil to keep it attached to the glass. If anyone has any other options im very willing to try something different to achieve the black background.

Like your rockwork howd you do that? PM me

I really have not done anything special with the rockwork. I did have 3 huge pieces of baserock that really helped create the cave.

Awesome to see another Southern Indiana reefer around here. I'm from Seymour, but am currently at IU. Tank looks awesome, wish I could have one like it, but I'm stuck with a stock AP12 til I graduate and get a job....

Hey Hoosier fan great to see ya around. Let me know if you ever wana trade some frags. My wife is going back to IU for optometry school in may. It stinks that deliahs burned down. Have your heard if they are going to rebuild?

Archived