Cultivated Reef

Dismantled

JBM

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

update : 11/4/08

yesterday i met up with bigsink from manhattanreefs.com

picked up a mated pair of maroon clowns for the 35 hex.

He threw in a free yellow tail damsel for the nano.

so as of now the live stock in the tanks are.

(will continue editing this thread as i add more livestock & corals)

35hex:

1 4 stripe damsel (soon to come out)

pair of mated clowns

5 nazairus snails

6 turbo snails.

2 red leg hermits

1 small frag of red mushroom

10g nano

4 blue leg hermit.

1 yellow tail damsel

1 nazairus snail

*edit* 11/6/08

fixed typo (thanks CSoli921)

also removed 1 nazairus snail from the 35g & added it to the 10g.

will be performing a water change on both tanks tonight when i get home.

I like the dual tanking scene, im joining ya. Ill be setting up a 7g aio pretty soon. What are your plans for either tank, will you be keeping different corals and fish, or having both pretty similar?

I like the dual tanking scene, im joining ya. Ill be setting up a 7g aio pretty soon. What are your plans for either tank, will you be keeping different corals and fish, or having both pretty similar?

both will be completely different. Due to lighting the hexagon tank will stay a softie tank. & be more fish oriented than corals. The 10g nano will be much more coral based (if not only coral based) because of the endless options with lighting. So that will be more of a replica "reef"

picking up a 20" pc by current orbit 2x 40 watt today.

I went with the pc

1) because it's cheaper

2) because it's such a shallow tank the pc will be able to handle most corals

3) it's practically brand new

new tank shots to come today I PROMISE!

Looks good so far! Are you planning to add more rock? Some Halides would penetrate right down to your SB. Ever thought of reaching that deep into your pockets? :haha:

YES!!!!

i am planning on adding a whole lot more rock. In a perfect world (where my wife would let me do what ever i want) i would have atleast another 30 lbs of rock in the 35hex. & another 8-12 lbs in the 10g.

but alas, that will probably never happen. so maybe another 10 between the 2 tanks.

MH is an option but as of right now i see no need for it

update 11/12/08

picked up 3 shrimp on friday. for $40 + tax

1 cleaner shrimp for the 35g

& 2 baby (i mean really tiny, about the length of a penny) pepermint shrimp for the 10g. when they get a little bit bigger i will transfer 1 to the 35g, so the bio load isnt to taxing on the 10g.

picking up my first frag for the 10g tank today. Did a bit of looking around the web & stubled across a website that only sells zoanthids. They must have about 100 different species. I will post up the website tonight when i get home (cant remember the name ATM) Well this inspired me to create a zoo!

gonna test my luck with a frag from a local. He's got a 30+ head zoo on some live rock for $30... if all is well in a couple of weeks i will be pickin up some of these bad boys.

6tnwghw.jpg

i guess my new mission for this tank will be as colorfull as possibly. with several very rare zoo's.

pics later i promise!

i cant wait either! getting excited for my first zoo!

What kind of sand are you using?

It looks like regular play/pool filter silica sand. That will definitely give you problems in the future.

beach sand from fl.... it's not live but it's pure white & smaller than sugar. I've been using this type for a couple of years now in my other tanks with no problems.

just picked up a superman zoo frag... acclimating them now.... 15+ polyps for $24.99 & 3 or 4 greenish brown guys....

pics when they are light acclimated & have opened up!

*edit*

also bought 50 lbs of base rock from JC aquatics.... gonna start to slowly load up the 35g with more rock.

i think im just gonna keep the 10g with the same amount of rock, only adding rock when i get frags!

received a used koralia 2 in the mail today... added it to the 35g for more flow. so now i have the following providing current

fluval 305

aquaclear 30 power head

koralia 2

red sea prizm skimmer!

(the koralia & AQ provide 775 gph alone!!!!)

my plan is to hide the koralia & the AQ in the rock work for a cleaner look. might possibly moddify the fluval output to a spray bar so i have more upper tank circulation.

quick update.. everything is going great in both tanks.... as you can see i added about 30-40 lbs of base rock into the 35g reef... Had a few snails die off but thats ok.

the 10g is very stabel tho & is behaving like a very established aqarium (well it kinda is actualy)

traded some left over reef rock for my pride & joy the nuclear green zoanthid. 4+ headed frag for 15 lbs of base rock.... YAY!!!!!

1121082106b.jpg

downsized_1121082106.jpg

Guest theoldman
update 11/12/08

picked up 3 shrimp on friday. for $40 + tax

1 cleaner shrimp for the 35g

& 2 baby (i mean really tiny, about the length of a penny) pepermint shrimp for the 10g. when they get a little bit bigger i will transfer 1 to the 35g, so the bio load isnt to taxing on the 10g.

picking up my first frag for the 10g tank today. Did a bit of looking around the web & stubled across a website that only sells zoanthids. They must have about 100 different species. I will post up the website tonight when i get home (cant remember the name ATM) Well this inspired me to create a zoo!

gonna test my luck with a frag from a local. He's got a 30+ head zoo on some live rock for $30... if all is well in a couple of weeks i will be pickin up some of these bad boys.

6tnwghw.jpg

i guess my new mission for this tank will be as colorfull as possibly. with several very rare zoo's.

pics later i promise!

"Did a bit of looking around the web & stubled across a website that only sells zoanthids."

Could you give us the link to this site.

I too am interested in only Zoe's.

A very nice tank with a unique shape. And I will be stick this thread as you too like something that I love too. :happy: So far everything looks nice. I'm sure this is gonna be a nice beautiful and colorful tank soon :)

Btw, that a very nice green frag!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Dismantled

Archived