Coral Vue Hydros

Akabryanhall's 29G BC Softy/LPS

akabryanhall

Hey all,

I am new to this site and in SW keeping. I have wanted a tank for a while. I finally was in a position to get one, but wanted to start small (29g Bio-Cube) to keep the cost down, and since it was my first, hopefully be easier to deal with. About $1200 later I have a setup. I tried to do all of the research to make sure my fish were compatible. I started with the live rock and sand and cycled for 2 weeks...starting slow

Here is my list Updated as far as 05/14/09:

25lbs-Fiji Live Rock

25lbs- Live Sand

Livestock

1 Black Occelaris Clown

1 False Perc

1 Pajama

1 Bangaii

1 Golden Midas Blenny

1 Tiger Jawfish

CUC

4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

8 Turbo Snails

1 Fire Shrimp

1 Cleaner Shrimp

LPS

Frog Spawn

Neon Green Star Burst

Neon Candy Cane

Aqua Candy Cane

Green Candy Cane Aqua Centers

Prism Favia Frag

Candy Stripe Trachy

Duncan

Pink Acan

Blasto

PPE Blasto

Cotton Candy Chalice

Prism Chalice

Gold Digger Chalice

Darth Maul Chalice

SubZero Chalice

Neon Green Favia

Jah's Green Lagoon Favia

Pink Skinned Dendro

Softies

Iceman Zoas

Whammin Watermelon Zoas

Devils Armor Zoas

Purple Puddle Zoas

Ring of Fire Zoas

Pink Nipple Zoas

Sunburst Zoas

Agent Orange Zoas

Armor of God Zoas

Green Streak Mushroom

Red Mushroom

Green Button Polyps

Orange Rics

Nuclear Green Paly

Armageddon Paly

Valentines Day Massacre Paly

Purple Death Paly

Tiger Eye Paly

Amazing People Eater Paly

Darth Maul Paly

SPS

Green Monti Cap

Maintenance

5G water Change weekly

Clean Filter pad weekly

empty skimmer every few days

Dose A and B solution every other day

Mag Float glass every few days

Any advice or warnings would be appreciated. I will post pictures soon

Sincerely,

Bryan

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dahliaheartsyou

:welcome:

ok, here are some problems i see...

too many fish for a stable, long-term tank

i would get rid of the sleeper goby because your tank is too small for a sand-sifter who basis his food source off the organisms in the sand and because he will strip your tank of anything that lives in the sand.

IMO i would have 4 fish at MOST as the less bioload you have, the healthier the tank will be.

the sally lightfoot will get mean as it gets older and may eat your fish/shrimp

that is a LOT of turbos for a BC 29, they may starve and cause nitrate spikes

and, is all this in 2 weeks...or...?

=]

:welcome: to nano-reef.com

+1 to less turbos. I'm assuming that they aren't the "mexican turbos" that are a couple of inches in diameter (that would be a turbo army!). Also, I agree that sleeper gobies are often not helpful in nano-reefs.

So I have made some changes. Thanks for the advice. I am realizing my first LFS gave me some horrendous advice about things. I have gotten rid of O'Doyle...my Sand Sifter Goby, as well as my Sally lightfoot and 4 snails. here are some photos of my tank....

Purple Firefish and Frogspawn Royal Gramma (Awesome personality)

post-39745-1225596466_thumb.jpg post-39745-1225596494_thumb.jpg

1 of 2 Black Ocilaris Clowns Pajama Cardinal

post-39745-1225596511_thumb.jpg post-39745-1225596530_thumb.jpg

Candy Cane at night Frogspawn at night

post-39745-1225596680_thumb.jpg post-39745-1225596692_thumb.jpg

Candy Cane day Toadstool Leather

post-39745-1225596707_thumb.jpg post-39745-1225596721_thumb.jpg

I have also changed my rockscape around. Will post more pictures soon!

Is it okay to keep nocturnal and diurnal fish together? Like the bangaii and pajama? I ask because I would like to get both of those fish, but I don't want them to get stressed out..

Here are some new pics of my tank...

FTS Clowns and Bangaii

post-39745-1226034264_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226034287_thumb.jpg

FrogSpawn and Candy Cane

post-39745-1226034303_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226034320_thumb.jpg

Star Polyp and immigrant emerald Crab...The one I bought looks different, no hair

post-39745-1226034337_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226034361_thumb.jpg

And a few more...

My new Prism Favia day and Night

post-39745-1226034638_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226034648_thumb.jpg

Star Polyp and Candy Cane at night

post-39745-1226034668_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226034678_thumb.jpg

I am working on my photography...it's getting mildly better, still a long way to go.

Life is a lot more peaceful without the diamond back. My fish and corals seem a lot perkier? since he left. I've also added an Oceanic Skimmer. I know these aren't the most efficiant one's on the market, but it has to help a little right?

Been thinking of getting some more hermit crabs, are there any I should stay away from? I've heard blue leg hermits aren't the best...may be aggressive towards my turbos.

Got some new corals from World Wide Corals. Can anyone id this brain for me? I know it's open, but the guy who sold it to me did not know the exact species.

New Brain and Green Striped Mushroom

post-39745-1226857829_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226857814_thumb.jpg

FTS and another pic of the brain

post-39745-1226857807_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226857877_thumb.jpg

Red Mushrooms and an Orange Ric

post-39745-1226857864_thumb.jpg post-39745-1226857848_thumb.jpg

Did I mention I love this brain?

post-39745-1226857838_thumb.jpg

your tank is looking nice. did you get any hermit crabs? i think they would add alot to your cuc.

Thanks for the compliment!

Yup I've got some cleanup crew members a bit at a time. Currently I have 5 red and 3 scarlett Hermits, 5 or 6 Turbos, a cucumber and a Florida Fighting Conch. I think I am developing a red algae bloom in the sand bed...anyone know what I should do for this?

Thanks for the compliment!

Yup I've got some cleanup crew members a bit at a time. Currently I have 5 red and 3 scarlett Hermits, 5 or 6 Turbos, a cucumber and a Florida Fighting Conch. I think I am developing a red algae bloom in the sand bed...anyone know what I should do for this?

Red footed conchs (aka pick footed conchs) are known to eat red algae and cyano...great for all around as well! I have both a red foot and a fighting conch.

Red footed conchs (aka pick footed conchs) are known to eat red algae and cyano...great for all around as well! I have both a red foot and a fighting conch.

I don't think my lfs has those. I saw one of my turbos chowing down on it. Hopefully the rest notice it.

So I might have set the killing of my fish in motion. i bought a locktight flow redirector thingy, to help disperse the flow in my tank. My LFS neglected to tell me that only locktight connections connect to locktight connections. So I pull out my underwater superglue and apply it to the inside of the locktight piece and held it so it fit around my BioCube nozzle. I held it on for about a minute, realized the contact points were not meeting so I pulled it off, and globs of super glue which the fish saw as Mysis. They went after it and spit each piece out, but I don't know. I'm very bummed but all fish seem to be in good spirits.

So I might have set the killing of my fish in motion. i bought a locktight flow redirector thingy, to help disperse the flow in my tank. My LFS neglected to tell me that only locktight connections connect to locktight connections. So I pull out my underwater superglue and apply it to the inside of the locktight piece and held it so it fit around my BioCube nozzle. I held it on for about a minute, realized the contact points were not meeting so I pulled it off, and globs of super glue which the fish saw as Mysis. They went after it and spit each piece out, but I don't know. I'm very bummed but all fish seem to be in good spirits.

Tank looks nice, ton of turbos.

Your brain is a Trachophylia

Tank looks nice, ton of turbos.

Your brain is a Trachophylia

Thank you for the compliment. I thought there might be subgenres of Trachyphyllia, more than just radiata and geoffroyi. I hereby label this a Candy Stripe Trachy

Thank you for the compliment. I thought there might be subgenres of Trachyphyllia, more than just radiata and geoffroyi. I hereby label this a Candy Stripe Trachy

Apparently, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi is the sole species in the family Trachyphyllidae, and Wellsophyllia radiata is not an actual species but a variation of Trachyphyllia.

Archived