Innovative Marine Aquariums

CoRPS' 55g Reef

CoRPS

Hey guys, how's it going?

One of your members here, Bustaphoto, told me to register to N-R and start posting, so here I am :) I'm currently building up my 55 gallon tank coming close to finishing the cycle.

Current water parameters:

pH 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 20

Nitrite: 0

SG: 1.02375

I don't have a test kit yet for alkalinity or calcium. Also waiting to get a HOB skimmer and T5HO lighting.

Onto some pictures:

Full tank shot:

tank1.jpg

Piece of live rock on left side of tank:

tank2.jpg

Live rock in middle of tank:

tank3.jpg

Live rock on right side of tank, also my favorite piece:

tank4.jpg

it's got about 20# of live rock, the rest is limestone and 60# of live sand. What do you guys think?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet! What are your livestock plans?

Not really sure at the moment. But probably something like this:

2x Ocellaris Clowns.

2 or 3x Blue Reef Chromis

Yellow Clown Goby + Pistol Shrimp

Flasher Wrasse

4 or 5x Peppermint Shrimp (I think I have some Aiptasia)

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

@Busta: DO IT! By that time I should have some frags to give you :)

Edit: As for coral... I'm thinking a lot (LOT) of Zoa's.. I really love those polyps. Also Xenia and maybe toadstool mushroom leather and hammer corals. Nothing too crazy. Also thinking about a BTA for the clowns.

Just remember that anems need good lighting and water quality, and the clowns will live happily without the anem and may end up not hosting it at all.

Just remember that anems need good lighting and water quality, and the clowns will live happily without the anem and may end up not hosting it at all.

I figured 212w of T5 would be fine for a BTA. I may be wrong though.. I usually am :)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update The tank has come along nicely. I've got a 4x54w T5HO fixture, 2 Oscellaris Clownfish and a African Midas Blenny (Some call them Golden Midas Blenny). I just got the blenny on Tuesday so he's still a little shy.

Here's a picture of the Clowns as of today, and also a hitchhiker polyp I found back in September on my LR.

clownscopy.jpg

polyp.jpg

I didn't even notice someone commented on here, haha.

Anyway, I was always worried about my nitrates. but, apparently my test kit has expired or something. I took water samples to two separate LFS and they both came back at 0 nitrates. And also 0 phosphates.

So, while I was at the LFS today I picked up a hammer coral and a xenia frag. Here's some pictures until they both decide to completely open.

xenia.jpg

hammer.jpg

The skeleton is probably 3.5" across, when it's fully extended it's probably about 4.5"

Here's a better picture of the hammer once it opened up a lot more.

hammer2.jpg

Also, it just dawned on me that I haven't ever posted any pictures of my new blenny on NR. He's an African Midas Blenny aka Golden Midas Blenny

CIMG0537.jpg

CIMG0543.jpg

FTS:

photo3.jpg

You can see where the Blenny made his home in this picture. It's PERFECT grin2-1.gif

The skeleton is probably 3.5" across, when it's fully extended it's probably about 4.5"

Here's a better picture of the hammer once it opened up a lot more.

hammer2.jpg

Also, it just dawned on me that I haven't ever posted any pictures of my new blenny on NR. He's an African Midas Blenny aka Golden Midas Blenny

CIMG0537.jpg

CIMG0543.jpg

FTS:

photo3.jpg

You can see where the Blenny made his home in this picture. It's PERFECT grin2-1.gif

You never told me you had a fish... that thing is awesome it looks really shy. What other fish are you thinking of getting?

AcroporaLokani

Nice tank! You could keep a bubble tip anemone under your lights, I have five in my 55 gallon tank and they are only under two 54 watt T5 tubes.

You never told me you had a fish... that thing is awesome it looks really shy. What other fish are you thinking of getting?

:) I'm not really sure what else I'm going to get. I want either a bi-color angel or a flame angel but to be honest don't want to risk them biting my corals. So it's more likely to be some kind of reef safe wrasse (flasher probably). I may not even get anymore fish and just focus on coral.

Nice tank! You could keep a bubble tip anemone under your lights, I have five in my 55 gallon tank and they are only under two 54 watt T5 tubes.

I don't think I'm going to get a BTA, I'm too nervous about them going mobile and killing everything in the tank.

what do you mean "soon to be" If you have even 1 coral I believe you can officially call it a reef tank as the care and requirements just for that 1 coral are just like a fully stocked reef tank.

Nice looking tank. You definitely have enough light for a BTA. Love the blenny. Why not get a flasher wrasse and an angel, you've got the space?

I've been debating setting up a 55 in my bedroom. The tank and stand are just taking up space in storage....your tank is not helping my wallet's disagreements to my idea.

I'm worried about the angel nipping corals. The only reason I wouldn't add a wrasse is because I'm trying to keep the bioload down. I don't have a skimmer so I'm trying to keep the best water quality as I can.

4 or 5 small to medium fish in a 55 would be no problem. I've done 4 medium fish and an anemone in a skimmerless 20 before with no problems.

I also think its safe to say that most dwarf angels don't nip. Especially the more common angels like Coral Beauty's and Flames. I'd say you've got a 50/50 shot with a bicolor, I hear they're one of the worst. It really comes down to the individual fish. Plus a 55 is large enough, and you have enough coral, that one nipping fish probably wouldn't be detrimental to your coral's health. I'd say a dwarf angels beauty and personality are worth the risk.

I hate the fish in my tank I hate the hermits in my tank I hate the sally crab I have in my tank. I would go with one or two fish max and keep it full of wonderful coral which you can spot feed at your leisure without the fish getting in the way.

When I spot feed my favia brain the hermits always steel the food no mater how hard I try to keep them busy and away with their own food. My percula is always rubbing his belly on the brain and spreading all the food all over the place.

Even my little clown gobby will steel potential food from the tentacles of the ricordea he lays on.

JMO and you really don't have to listen to anything I have said. Just my experience with fish

So I got some new colonies today. First one is almost all the way opened and the second one is taking it's sweet <expletive deleted> time. I will post an updated picture when it opens up all the way, but you can pretty much see the colors here.

First:

zoas1.jpg

Second:

zoas2.jpg

I also moved the Xenia to where I think will be it's permanent location. Here's a view from the right side of the tank.

xeniamoved1.jpg

You can also see the blenny checkin me out :)

Archived