Pod Your Reef

BioCube and Aquapod Products from inTank

StevieT

To all BioCube owners, mainly on the 29 gallon model.

Are you against seeing filtration media through the intake grates? I am making a media basket for the tank, but I can imagine that seeing filter floss, chemi pure etc sort of ugly if you view it from the front of the tank through the grates.

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so as well, I can easily design the shelving of the rack to avoid seeing media, but then you do loose space to put that media.

Also, filter floss usually goes on top, but doing so in this tank puts that floss in view of the top intake area.

i hate it on my 14.looks like crap

haha, I figured! Looks like the design is to hide it.

BC 14 media rack next on the list

I thought of that as well, there is a lot of room in that second chamber. Most said that a rack would be better in the first chamber. I suppose I could design one for both areas, the second chamber could have a rack with a fuge area included, leaving the first chamber for the heater.

Are you going to make one for the 8 gallon? cause I need one of course! :D

The problem with the 8 gallon is water is sucked up through both top and bottom grates (I think???) then flows over the top to chamber 2. So if you put a media basket in there how would your water get thru the media? It's like it goes from front to back instead of top to bottom. In the RS it obviously gets pulled from the top down but does the BC do that?? I would love for you to design something cause everyone takes out the bio balls from chamber 2. And everyone has a different setup.

Oh yes, Biocube 14 then down to the 8 as well, nano cube etc over time B)

Right, the water moves differently, but it should still pull up through the media. I talked to people about baskets and they have home made models. They seem to work, apparently...

I have designed one today, and since the water moves up, I have to do everything opposite and keep the egg crates from floating up.

We will see how it works when I fill it up with water and test out media in the rack. If it is a huge fail, then I will make one for the second chamber so water comes in from the top, then down through the media like the RSM.... you could also do a fuge then and onto the pump chamber.

I hope it works, but I am glad I purchased the tank since this would be a mess just doing measurments online.

damn packers.... :angry:

Hey StevieT, how much are your media baskets?

I would order one if it fit the second chamber. I always use Chamber 1 of the BioCube for my heater, since the water level in chamber one is always consistent. If I used Chamber 2 or 3, I risk the heater being out of water if I forget to top the tank off for a few days or something.

For that reason, I stuff media in chamber 2. Same with my BioCube 8 at work.

PM me, let me know the prices. Lets see some pics!

Jason

I thought of that as well, there is a lot of room in that second chamber. Most said that a rack would be better in the first chamber. I suppose I could design one for both areas, the second chamber could have a rack with a fuge area included, leaving the first chamber for the heater.

That idea would be PERFECT. My 'fuge is below my Filter Floss in chamber 2.

thanks for the advice. So maybe chamber one isn't the best for a rack then. I am not against having two models though, I guess I should just design one for both chambers while the tank is still dry.

PMing on my pricing which always include shipping.

Alright, so chamber one is looking more and more like a no.

I don't like the rack there, I don't like tring to hide media, and it is labor intensive to do that, which increases costs.

Chamber two is great, huge awesome, but water levels are a concern. Filling the tank now to figure things out. I am guessing people remove plastic from chamber 1 to increase flow into the 2nd chamber?

Ya... make the media crate for chamber 2. It will be easier and the water only enters the top so that you can have the first section for floss and the rest can be other media. And i also like the heater in chamber 1 cuz of constant water.

cool, that is what everyone is saying now. I guess my first topic was full of people that thought chamber 1 was the better option, dummies ;):D

Is this a normal water level for chamber 2? Some are saying lower BC models like the BC8 only fill 1/3 of the way with water.

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

cool, that is what everyone is saying now. I guess my first topic was full of people that thought chamber 1 was the better option, dummies ;):D

Is this a normal water level for chamber 2? Some are saying lower BC models like the BC8 only fill 1/3 of the way with water.

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

I don't know about a 'normal' water level, but here is how I keep my water level ... I've heard of a few others doing this as well.

Chambers 2 & 3 should always have the same water level. I fill the water up so that in Chamber THREE, the water line sits right where the stock (green) tube coming out of the pump meets the elbow "L" bracket that feeds the water into the tank.

Jason

That is where mine was resting as well, and yes 2 and 3 have to have the same level since they are tied together.

Kind of a waste of a sunday since I messed around with chamber 1 for so long. Design is on the paper and prototype should be made up tomorrow night! Rack and fuge put toghether, should be sweet looking.

I don't know about a 'normal' water level, but here is how I keep my water level ... I've heard of a few others doing this as well.

Chambers 2 & 3 should always have the same water level. I fill the water up so that in Chamber THREE, the water line sits right where the stock (green) tube coming out of the pump meets the elbow "L" bracket that feeds the water into the tank.

Jason

How do you keep your water at this level? I have an 8 gallon BC. Chamber 2 and 3 are lower than 1.

How do you keep your water at this level? I have an 8 gallon BC. Chamber 2 and 3 are lower than 1.

Not sure about the 14 and 8 but for the 29 you just keep adding water. I keep my 29 just as the pics show. Looking forward to the design.

Hey StevieT, another thing to consider ....

Do you have the BC29 hood? I don't have my BC29 in front of me right now, but I do know that the hood isn't hinged -- but there is an access door on the back for the 3 chambers. I would make sure that the Media Tray for the second chamber fits out that access door ... otherwise we'd have to remove the entire hood in order to remove the media tray.

Jason

Jason-

Good point, yes I have the entire tank, bought it new. But I did not install the hood as of yet, I will do that and make sure it will be easy to drop in.

Jason

BC14

I keep my water exactly the same. I have a JBJ ATO and i set the sensor on the second peg. Keeps the water level even with the elbow in both chambers.

I tried to make a basket to hold my filter media over soon to be fuge in chamber 2. Chamber 1 holds my chiller pump, and heater. Chamber 2 hold all of the media and the soon to be fuge. Chamber 3 holds the return pump, sensor for ATO, and return from chiller.

I think a media tray for the second tray would be an excellent idea. Post pics whenever you get the chance so I can see what its gonna turn out to be.

BC14

I keep my water exactly the same. I have a JBJ ATO and i set the sensor on the second peg. Keeps the water level even with the elbow in both chambers.

I tried to make a basket to hold my filter media over soon to be fuge in chamber 2. Chamber 1 holds my chiller pump, and heater. Chamber 2 hold all of the media and the soon to be fuge. Chamber 3 holds the return pump, sensor for ATO, and return from chiller.

I think a media tray for the second tray would be an excellent idea. Post pics whenever you get the chance so I can see what its gonna turn out to be.

Thanks!

My plan for the BC29 is for two racks. One for media, one for a fuge. Prototype is testing right now, I had to think outside the box or the RSM :D Becuase of the shelving that is buit in for bio balls, it doesn't let the rack sit tight in there causing water to leak out of the sides. Problem solved, water is now forced all the way through the media like it should be improving filtration.

I don't have the BC14 as of yet but it sounds like a dual rack for media and fuge would work best becuase the filtration chamber is a bit smaller. I probably will pick that tank up soon to design a rack. It is much easier than taking dimentions over emails, plus I can test it in house to make sure eveything is perfect.

Edit: purchased the BC14 and the BC8 today from the good doctors

Thanks!

My plan for the BC29 is for two racks. One for media, one for a fuge. Prototype is testing right now, I had to think outside the box or the RSM :D Becuase of the shelving that is buit in for bio balls, it doesn't let the rack sit tight in there causing water to leak out of the sides. Problem solved, water is now forced all the way through the media like it should be improving filtration.

I don't have the BC14 as of yet but it sounds like a dual rack for media and fuge would work best becuase the filtration chamber is a bit smaller. I probably will pick that tank up soon to design a rack. It is much easier than taking dimentions over emails, plus I can test it in house to make sure eveything is perfect.

Edit: purchased the BC14 and the BC8 today from the good doctors

Sounds good do you have any pics of it?

I just installed my fuge light today so am excited to get a media rack in.

Sounds good do you have any pics of it?

I just installed my fuge light today so am excited to get a media rack in.

no pics yet, those are still classified ;)

But I did solve the problem with there being a lip on this tank, thus when the rack drops in, it isn't water tight. Media rack will force the water through the filtration elements, just like with the RSM rack, this gives you an estimated 487% better filtration rate :lol:

what kind of light? I am interested in seeing if more use a Submersible light or you put it on the lid.

Archived