Cultivated Reef

Reinventing Bonsai's [8g] BioCube - The Office Tank

Bonsai

Most Recent FTS (Oct 2009)

ftst.jpg

--

Archived First Post Appears Below

--

I could have swore that I already created a thread for this tank, but I guess I'm wrong!

Anyhow, for months I had a Picotope in my office ... and something was fundamentally wrong with the setup, as zoas would melt in the tank and corals never really thrived. I more or less ditched the tank and sold the setup and have since upgraded to a BC8.

Here are some photos of the new tank!

October FTS

bc8octftscm7.jpg

Steel Blue Ricordea

bc8octricxo7.jpg

Zoanthid Colony

bc8octzoasef2.jpg

Pinkish/Purpleish Mushroom ... which is still adjusting to the new environment

bc8octshroomah0.jpg

More to come!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks awesome, very clean...

i shoulda got black sand <_<

You can probably appreciate the fact that the Pink/Purple 'shroom and the Zoas were $15 each from Preuss :) Good prices from an LFS!

dahliaheartsyou
You can probably appreciate the fact that the Pink/Purple 'shroom and the Zoas were $15 each from Preuss :) Good prices from an LFS!

haha, yeah i got the 10 for $100 instead of $15 each.

so, i got a rock with 2 mushies (the same pink, and a striped green) and all my other stuff for $10 only.

i lub preuss =]

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Tank. Are you happy with the setup? I was sorry to see you switch out the Picotope since I enjoy mine so much but of course now I would like to upgrade my office tank. I wondered about the BC8.

Nice Tank. Are you happy with the setup? I was sorry to see you switch out the Picotope since I enjoy mine so much but of course now I would like to upgrade my office tank. I wondered about the BC8.

I'm very happy with the BC8 so far. The Picotope was nice, and I still have the tank itself (I sold all of the upgrades), but I really enjoy the All-in-One aspect of the BC8. I don't have to top it off daily, I don't have to worry about particles getting into the tank because it has a closed hood, and I don't feel bad about keeping a fish in the BC8 :)

I still don't know what happened to the Picotope to make things turn as bad as they did ... whatever it was, it was undetectable in water tests.

Thanks for the comment though!

• 3 weeks later...

I've added a few frags since I last updated this thread ... I put an 8-10 polyp frag of Eagle Eyes in the tank, added some Superman Mushrooms, and this beauty ... Fire & Ice Zoa frag, only $15 at the LFS.

fireicepo6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Your tank is SWEEEEET! i was thinking of getting a nc12, but after looking over your pics... i not sure what i want now!

Are you running the stock lights?

Your tank is SWEEEEET! i was thinking of getting a nc12, but after looking over your pics... i not sure what i want now!

Are you running the stock lights?

Thanks - and yes, stock lighting.

I found a bc8 on Ebay for $129.00 shipped. does that sound like a good deal?

thanx.

That is a fairly good deal, yeah. I paid $110 for mine, but I have a pretty good relationship with my LFS. Just be VERY careful about buying a glass aquarium on eBay. I bought my first BioCube 14G on eBay, great price, but it arrived with the bottom completely shattered. The seller didn't want to take responsibility so I had to go through PayPal for the refund, and it took FOREVER.

Jason

Thanx for the info. ur right about paypal, i've had to wait them out before on a item i never received. no one around me sells these tanks, so i may have to take a chance & order from Ebay.

Thanx for the info. ur right about paypal, i've had to wait them out before on a item i never received. no one around me sells these tanks, so i may have to take a chance & order from Ebay.

If you do, I'd suggest paying the seller extra to insure it for you ... peace of mind is worth the couple dollars to insure it.

hey bonsai

not sure if your still checking this thread? i got my bc8 today, i am very happy with the look / fit & finish of this tank. i almost bought the nc12, very glad i got the bc8. im just running fw in it for tonight, just to be sure everything is ok, i already have some live sand and if everything works alright, i will get some live rock tomorrow. thanx for sharing the pics of your tank, they helped me make a decision.

John.

hey bonsai

not sure if your still checking this thread? i got my bc8 today, i am very happy with the look / fit & finish of this tank. i almost bought the nc12, very glad i got the bc8. im just running fw in it for tonight, just to be sure everything is ok, i already have some live sand and if everything works alright, i will get some live rock tomorrow. thanx for sharing the pics of your tank, they helped me make a decision.

John.

I certainly do check this thread :) Congrats and welcome to the BioCube club!

i remember you posted a while back saying theres some mixup on the timer, and your tank looked really bad and had algae problem. i take it everything is back to normal now?

i remember you posted a while back saying theres some mixup on the timer, and your tank looked really bad and had algae problem. i take it everything is back to normal now?

Indeed. All of the coral in the BC8 lost color, some more than others ... that's what 24hrs of light will do :) Most of the coral is coloring back up now, I'd say they are at about 80% of the color they previously were.

The only possible casualties are two Ricordea Florida - they're still alive, but always very small and never puffy and expanded. They didn't handle the 24hr lighting very well.

But we live and learn - I will ALWAYS double-check timers from now on.

Archived