Top Shelf Aquatics

2.5g Humboldt Bay "mini"

Mynameskenny19

Mynameskenny19

Yeah, so I think around a month and a half ago I was telling you guys that I was going to make a pico version of our 75g Humboldt Bay biotope, so here's my thread about it!

Equipment

• 2.5g aga
  • 15w screw-in 50/50 bulb
  • 2.35g bay water straight from the bay
  • 8 lbs LR pieces
  • no sand bed
  • old 10g HOB filter with impeller cut down 2 teeth

Live Stock

• 3 small hermits, 1 black leg with white spots, 2 blue leg with yellow spots
  • my supposedly "fire corals", a couple pieces of them
  • ~20 or so micro tube worms
  • some sponges
  • lots of barnacles

And pics will come up soon as I fing my camera which I lost a few days ago.

I might add one Tryssogobius colini. What do you guys think about that? Bad idea? I've read that they've been caught in cold water places around 30 miles or so from Humboldt Bay.

Thanks.

Mynameskenny19

Yeah, still can't find my camera! :angry:

It's pretty bare looking right now, no sand, just a bunch of LR pieces about the size of golf balls cut in half.

Then there's 3 bigger pieces in the back. What do you think about the fish? Should I add it? Or get a Catalina goby which is found 700 + or - 50 miles South of here? Or should I add no fish and make it inverts only?

Mynameskenny19

Yeah, I thought about catching the fish mentioned above, and found out you have to go diving to catch one since you can't buy them. Catalina goby sounds good. How long do they live???

And for my cooling, well since this fan is on my 2.5, on a scale size this fan is like 7x bigger than the one on my 75g, so cooling is pretty good. Have been keeping the temp at 56-59 all day for the past month or so. Works pretty good! and since it's blowing on the tank's glass, evap isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I still have to make a lid thingy to lower evap though. And I'm also going to make an ATO, but don't really know how. Any suggestions? Has to be simple, no electronics please! Thanks!

More pics on Wednesday.

Mynameskenny19
Who says you cant buy Catalina gobies? I have seen them for sale through several places. Liveaquaria being one of them.

This is the fish I was talking about, not Catalina gobies.

Tryssogobius colini

Hard for "me" to find wild cuz I'm not a diver, I don't have a boat to go out 30 miles west, and it's too expensive to buy them. A catalina goby would be awesome, I just want to know how long they live. My LFS has a tank FULL of them, like around 40 or so in a huge 54g corner tank.

And AlaskaMatt, inside of my HOB I'm using LRR I got from the bay. All pieces are around 1/4" diameter.

Looks good, but is there any way to add a larger rock or two, to add some height? Aesthetically I think it would look better to fill some of the top half of the tank.

But it looks a lot bigger than a 2.5g, lol. I keep thinking everyone has anemones like the ones I used to have - Urticinas with 6" mouths and Metridiums that are 8" tall and barnacles that are each 3" around. ;)

Mynameskenny19

Yeah, I'll be looking for some interesting life covered rocks later this week. Pretty busy right now with school and work.

6" mouths????! Oh and the white anenomes we have in our 75g, I found out they are the worlds tallest species of anenome identified so far!

Mynameskenny19

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've been pretty busy with school and work this week, so I haven't done anything to the tank lately except for top-offs. I'll try to do stuff Sunday when I have a day off.

• 1 year later...
...And for my cooling, well since this fan is on my 2.5, on a scale size this fan is like 7x bigger than the one on my 75g, so cooling is pretty good. Have been keeping the temp at 56-59 all day for the past month or so. Works pretty good! and since it's blowing on the tank's glass, evap isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

When you read about people using a fan to cool the water in their tank, they are talking about blowing the fan on the top of the water, to cause more evaporation. If you limit evaporation by blowing on the glass instead of the water, you can't possibly lower the water temp below room temp. Only evaporation (or a chiller) can do that. On tropical tanks, with hot lights, fans are used to cool the lights, so that they don't add heat to the water, but the fan doesn't "chill" the tank. Your room temp must be rather cold right now ("56-59"). Will it get a lot warmer in summer? Catalina gobies don't live as long above 65 degrees, and neither do most of what you can collect. You may want to look into getting a chiller, or at least maxing out evaporation (and adding fresh water to compensate) when things warm up.

Possible Ice Probe application mounted into an Aqua Clear Filter may work on that size tank.

Summer months may pose a challenge to peltier cooling system. Shop on Ebay for them.

H

they do. I have a coldwater 2.8g and it keeps the teps frpm 54-56 so its pretty good. I have insulation around mine though. It is mounted into and Aquaclear 20. Summer shouldnt make a huge differance. The tank might stay at 57 in summer with room temp at 72.

this thread is two years old, so it's doubtful you'll get any responses. If kenny shows up, however, it will be interesting to see what has become of this tank.

Archived