Cultivated Reef

Gulfsurfer101's AP12g 150wMH

gulfsurfer101

Here's my thread for my most recent nano. I basically got tired of having my AP24 at my GF's place we were no longer staying at and doing long distance maintance. I didn't want to set up a big tank in my new place since my light bill is already pretty high. I just crammed everything from in here, http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...165062&st=0, into here. What I'm running is a nicely modded AP12g with 150w sunpod over it along with toms deco light to light the cheato in the modded out middle rear section of this tank.

Revised edit as of 11-15-08

no longer running anything in the rear chamber other than filter floss, all other filter media and cheato has been moved to the sump.

Stock list includes

ORA Indo purple tip staghorn

ORA borealis (2 frags)

ORA Marshall Island blue bottle brush acropora

ORA Marshall Island fuzzy green and yellow acropora

ATL sunrise millipora

Tub's mystic blue acropora

Bali purple encinata (2 frags)

Bali green slimer (2 frags)

gulfsurfer101's original fuzzy acropora (tiny frag)

sunrise acropora millipora frag

ORA montipora spongeodes

rainbow,sunset, and pokersar montipora

red and grape cap montipora

single RPE

RBTA

tiger derressa clam

minty purple and green aussie acans

various rics, shrooms, zoas and paly's and a single yuma

and housing a small maderin goby dragonet temporarily

Flame tail goby

IN THE SUMP

chaeto

small rock with red macro

large priorites rock

small kenya tree frag

crabs and snails.

here are the pics of it up and running:

cloudy FTS

tankswap010.jpg\

firefish goby

tankswap011.jpg

tankswap006.jpg

superman

tankswap007.jpg

orange cap frag

tankswap009.jpg

and all the other zoas corals and nems from my AP24 thread are crammed in here mainly across the top except with a few frags on the bottom and the rbta that has attached himself to a small coraline encrusted rock that he hasn't let go of since he was in my 5g shroombox. I will try to keep updated better since I did a horrible job on my last two threads. All pics taken in this thread are from a crappy outdated 2.0 megapixel camera so you have to forgive the quality.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I should have placed the pics of what I did to the back of this tank since it does have it's own thread now. What I did was remove the back wall and take out the middle wall and bottom wall since they both sucked and now I got more room for a cheato fuge.

danica039.jpg

danica002-1.jpg

set it back in place and used heavy silicone and weights by laying flat on it's back. It is now water tight.

danica049.jpg

and here is a small video of me planning to do a sump under it once I get a nice stand that will allow me to do so.

th_Danica3008.jpg

Danica3002.jpg

Danica3003.jpg

Here's what I got done on this tank today.

Here's the rock set up before I added a small spray bar and I was tottaly happy with this look.

12gAP006.jpg

12gAP007.jpg

I removed all the rock and water into a bin to get this inplace

12gAP001.jpg

12gAP004.jpg

12gAP005.jpg

A shot of the back chambers stuffed with good ol chaeto,Quick edit, after helping Glenn move his tank I now have a huge chunk of chaeto in the back taking the whole middle chamber and first overflow from intake chamber. Is there such thing as too much chaeto.

12gAP011.jpg

12gAP008.jpg

FTS after adding the bar

12gAP027.jpg

12gAP017.jpg

12gAP028.jpg

some closer shots

12gAP021.jpg

12gAP022.jpg

12gAP023.jpg

12gAP017.jpg

12gAP016.jpg

12gAP012.jpg

this superman is looking good, at least better than it did in my 24

12gAP020.jpg

I basically tried to keep the look it had before adding the spray bar since I was really likeing the way the zoas looked on the top of the rocks. Now I'm just waiting to my 20k bulb from fishneedit.com to come in the mail. I know it's a cheapy but I really don't want to spend a hundred bucks on a geisman and not like the way 20k looks over this tank and have to sell it for cheaper than I paid. If I like 20k then geisman or hamilton will be in my near future and possibly some sunset montipora since the last time I ordered it all frags had been sold. My theme will be zoas, shrooms and monti's only I think. No room for LPS in this one.

Looks like I did some math so so wonder were getting struck by killer storms. I have concluded with the AP12 return pump at 160gph, MJ1200 at 295gph, and koralia nano at 240gph I have a totall of 695gph. I just went to one of those online calcutators and found that to be 57 times turnover rate. That can't be right and maybe I'm doing it wrong. Can somebody help me figure out what my turnover rate is.

Pic time for a daily bump. Got lots of goodies from Glenn today after helping him move his super sweet tank.

Finally got this peice in my tank. I've been trying to get this frag of sunset montipora for ever only to hear that they will email me when frags are avialible. Thanks buddy, I am a happy man. The pink BN was a frag from him a while bak and is doing good today.

12gproject012.jpg

A shot of the rainbow monti that I will not turn down since it's so purrdy along with a frag of unexpected idaho grape that was broken in transport, so looks like I gets to keeps.

12gproject010.jpg

Here's a shot of my favorite little section of this tank, That frag of acro in the back was another one of those since it broke off it's yours type frag since once again I will not turn down. I think I will start hanging on the sides of the freeway with a sign that reads, "Will work for frags." if they could all be this cool.

12gproject013.jpg

12gproject011.jpg

12gproject004.jpg

Here's a shot of a frag of purple cap I placed on the same frag disk along with some choclate chip zoas. If this turns out like I hope this will be a nice peice.

12gproject005.jpg

And now I will leave you guys with some actinic shots of my tank from last night.

12gproject006.jpg

12gproject015.jpg

12gproject018.jpg

12gproject021.jpg

12gproject022.jpg

12gproject023.jpg

12gproject024.jpg

12gproject020.jpg

Thanks to Glenn for pimping my tank. This show will definately host sometime next season on MTV6 coming at ya. I have never been happier with anything that I even bought from anywhere.

man u sure put a hell of a lot of work in there, lookin good though.

hate to say it but the moti's DEF. look not so hot ATM. im sure with some Cal and time they are gonna look great though and will be looking forward to trading some frags w ya :)

Those pics were taken like fifteen minutes after I dropped them in. Funny thing about those monti's is that they were bagged up for hours since I was helping Glenn move his tank and the polyps were even coming out when they were bagged. Plus my camera is like a 2.0 MP so it doesn't do them justice. They are looking sweet just three days after dropping them in there and I plan on having a 20k bulb thrown in my sunpod shortly to get things to color up soon. New things done to this tank are a tiny frag rack to get these frags off the floor and I plan on fragging large chunks of that superman today. Maybe I'll have a chunk going up on the classifieds but I might hold off on that since shipping will be a pain since I don't have the time anymore. The work done on this tank has been in moderation so it's pretty unnoticable. I did the back wall about two months ago and frogot about this tank. I did the spray bar over the course of like two days in fifteen minute intevals and only took another fifteen to install. All in all I much more happier with this tank than my bigger version which was giving me nothing but problems.

Looks like I just took a chisel and broke through the top section of that superman through that nasty scar and broke it directly in half. I then took that half and busted it directly in half. One is going to glenn for hooking me up with awsome frags and the other I don't know what I'm going to do with. I definatley want to add some pokerstar now into the mix and might use it for trade in the future. I was going to snap pics but looks like my timer got pushed foward and my lights just went out on me. I fixxed the problem but pics will have to wait till tommorrow since I don't want to stress anything out more than what it is already.

Looks like I did some math so so wonder were getting struck by killer storms. I have concluded with the AP12 return pump at 160gph, MJ1200 at 295gph, and koralia nano at 240gph I have a totall of 695gph. I just went to one of those online calcutators and found that to be 57 times turnover rate. That can't be right and maybe I'm doing it wrong. Can somebody help me figure out what my turnover rate is.

I think part of the problem is that the flow provided by the koralia is not really "turnover." Unless I don't understand the definition of turnover, I think it only applies to whatever water goes through your filtration system. Using your definition, yes, it is 57x turnover. If you subtract off the koralia's contribution, it is a 37x turnover.

I think part of the problem is that the flow provided by the koralia is not really "turnover." Unless I don't understand the definition of turnover, I think it only applies to whatever water goes through your filtration system. Using your definition, yes, it is 57x turnover. If you subtract off the koralia's contribution, it is a 37x turnover.

I may be wrong but I believe the turn over rate is how many gallons per hour total your tank is turinng over in an hour through any means of water dissbursment so the koralia will add to the already high number of 37 for a 12g tank. I am loving all the flow in this little monster so far. Did you ever get any rics from the LFS. If not I might have one or two I can frag from.

How are those frags doing? DIdn't i give you a frag of the yellow w/ purple polyps monti too? I don't remember.....

All my corals are starting to color up again, and I should be able to frag a few more things pretty soon. when can I get that superman frag from you? I maaaay have a little free time tomorrow, but if not I won't be able to meet up you until Thursday at the earliest.

Tommorrow if you have time. I will pull up my messages tonight to get your number and give you a call sometime. I've been putting in lot's of OT to get that MP20 while I can get it cheap.

Alright looks like I should be able to get it this week and if not then definately by next payday. I gave you a call yesterday to let you know I had time to drop by and throw you that peice of superman. I should have time this weekend and anytime after 7pm during the week to swing by or you can swing by here and pick it up. As for this thread looks like it's time to update pics for a new 20k cheapie bulb I am trying out to see if I like 20k over this tank and yes I do. I think a giesman is in the works after the MP20.

Under 20k and I like it.

littlefishtank021.jpg

littlefishtank015.jpg

Everything looks cooler even this rbta

littlefishtank020.jpg

Fifteen dollar monster

littlefishtank008.jpg

Fifteen dollar beauty(orange monti cap)

littlefishtank017.jpg

Monti row,(LtoR,Superman, sunrise, rainbow, and soon to be glenn's superman frag)

littlefishtank005.jpg

littlefishtank018.jpg

My fave, sunset

littlefishtank019.jpg

Some zoas

littlefishtank004.jpg

littlefishtank003.jpg

littlefishtank010.jpg

littlefishtank012.jpg

Some blue rics that are growing nicley

littlefishtank016.jpg

And my sorry attempt at making small vid to span the tank. I might delete if I don't like it and try agaon later since I haven't even seen it since shooting it about 20 minutes ago.

th_littlefishtank023.jpg

Looks like I found my firefish all tangled up and dead in a huge chunk of chaeto while doing a WC today so looks like Glenn's b@stard fish he was happy to get rid of is getting a new home in this tank.

Thanks. I like this one better than the AP24. It's so much easier to maintain and all I do is WC's and morning doses of Calc, ph buffer, and nightly dose of purple up. If I'm able to get that vortech looks like it will be coming down though and going back to my AP24 with no false wall and a well built sump underneath. The 150w over this tank is the only major issue with tank since it's a must that I run hte glass top to keep little hands out of it while I'm out at work. There is really no major temp swing other than about three degrees since it sits in the path of my AC duct.

I cannot seem to pick up any color in that superman monti and rainbow monti in any pic I take. Other than that I like the way everything is looking under the 20K bulb. It's a good par I think for this shallow of a tank under such a heavy light. My zoas and rics are happy and are almost glowing. I can't really seem to get that in there either so I'm thinking of hinting to the wife for a better digi for my BD next month. Glenn Your b@stard fish is now the sole inhabitant of this little tank as of today and he is just chilling in the rockwork. I have your frag whenever your ready for it, and I should have time on the weekend to take it by there if your free then.

I cannot seem to pick up any color in that superman monti and rainbow monti in any pic I take. Other than that I like the way everything is looking under the 20K bulb. It's a good par I think for this shallow of a tank under such a heavy light. My zoas and rics are happy and are almost glowing. I can't really seem to get that in there either so I'm thinking of hinting to the wife for a better digi for my BD next month. Glenn Your b@stard fish is now the sole inhabitant of this little tank as of today and he is just chilling in the rockwork. I have your frag whenever your ready for it, and I should have time on the weekend to take it by there if your free then.

Sorry I missed your call. I've still been pretty busy trying to get everything out of the old house. I'm off this whole weekend so we can get together sometime then.

Sweet, I will most likely take Sat off to take my daughter somewhere this weekend to get out of the boring house. I still had you number on my phone from when you called that Sunday. I will write it down and give you a call either then or Sunday. Sorry to read about your tang. Hope he can pull through the ick and doesn't pass it along to your clowns.

Sweet, I will most likely take Sat off to take my daughter somewhere this weekend to get out of the boring house. I still had you number on my phone from when you called that Sunday. I will write it down and give you a call either then or Sunday. Sorry to read about your tang. Hope he can pull through the ick and doesn't pass it along to your clowns.

thanks man, I hope so too!

If I don't answer, send me a text. I'm really bad about not answering #'s I don't recognize (still get tons of calls from a job I had almost 2 years ago!!).

Yeah I get that alot from having a private number. Everybody thinks I'm some kind of bill collector or something so they never answer their phone and I just leave them funny messagaes. See you this weekend but I gotta crash here soon. I've been pushing it lately and dragging ass at work so I will most likely get back to you tommorrow if your online.

Looks like I came across bad news today upon getting home. My float switch seems to not be working for my DIY ATO. It is a must in a tank this size under such a powerful light and fans. I am going to try to tinker with it till I get it to work and have already made an order for another one if this one is crapped out. It's things like this that makes this hobby so fustrating at times. I'm shure it's something minor and can be fixed though.

Archived