Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My first SW tank - 9G NW9

TheStar

Two months ago, I came across this site and began researching Nano Tanks. I never had the time/space for a larger SW tank and was very excited to find this website. After a few weeks of research I then decided to go ahead and purchase my first Saltwater tank. I decided on the Aqua Medic Nano Tank 9 Gallon.

Once the tank arrived, I decided on a LFS and purchased the Live Rock (8lbs)/Sand/Saltwater... Added all of the above and let the tank run for two weeks. After two weeks, had the tank water tested to confirm that it was safe to add fish.

With the okay, I decided to add fish right away only to learn that we should have already installed a heater. The LFS informs us that we should add the heater at least one day prior to adding fish to stabilize the temperature. (Luckily, we are able to immediately add the Snail that my 4 year old nephew picked out on the spot.)

With the temperature stabilized, we head back to the LFS the next day. We decide on a pair of Clown's, 2 shrimp and a 3 small hermit/cleaning crabs.

We follow their suggestion for adding the fish and the tank seems to be running fine.

The fish have been in for 4 days now and we absolutely love them. Looking forward to adding plant life, etc..

The whole experience has been very positive, we have so much to learn and have many questions.

One suggestions I would make is to: Try to find someone who is very knowledgeable/experienced and will explain the "big picture." Someone who understands why you are asking certain questions rather than just answering, yes or no.

Our LFS has given us 3 different answers on when we should do our first water change.

In our 9 gallon, which has been running for 3 weeks (4 days with fish), when should we do our first water change? How much should we change?

Should we own a water testing kit and test the water frequently at home? How often? What should we be looking for?

What about the spot for the refugium in the back of the tank? Should we be utilizing this? What should we add to it?

When is it safe to begin adding plants? Anenome? LFS said 3 months? What changes are we looking for to make it okay?

We initially purchased ~ 8-9lbs of live rock. Looking at the tank, I don't feel as if this is enough. Is there enough rock in there? Would it be okay to add more or would this mess with the balance? How much more?

Should the rock be set towards the back of the tank? Many of the tanks I have seen seem to be set up this way. Is it okay to move them?

Do I have too many fish/shrimp, etc.. for this size tank? Or do I still have room for more?

We purchased an inexpensive thermometer that sticks on the outside of the tank. It is very difficult to see the temperature on this one. Any suggestions on a better brand/where to find it?

Much more to come, but in the meantime any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

post-38138-1221007630_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221007664_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221007692_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221007718_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221007759_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an attractive little tank. What is the lighting over the main tank, and is there a separate light for the refugium? I would start doing a 10-20% water change weekly or biweekly. Are you running carbon/charcoal? Let things settle for a couple of weeks and test for the nitrates, and observe if there is any algae growth. In the future what things are you interested in keeping?

That's an attractive little tank, what is it the nano wave 9? What is the lighting?

Here is a link to the tank. Not sure about the lighting, everything was included with the tank. It didn't have much in the way of diagrams or instructions.

Aqua Medic Nano Tank

I was bein lazy sorry about that, in the refugium most people put a type of macro algae to absorb nutrients.

Check out this search thread on google: "nano wave 9 site:nano-reef.com" it will give you tons of information on your tank and where you can go from the stock configuration.

Two months ago, I came across this site and began researching Nano Tanks. I never had the time/space for a larger SW tank and was very excited to find this website. After a few weeks of research I then decided to go ahead and purchase my first Saltwater tank. I decided on the Aqua Medic Nano Tank 9 Gallon.

Once the tank arrived, I decided on a LFS and purchased the Live Rock (8lbs)/Sand/Saltwater... Added all of the above and let the tank run for two weeks. After two weeks, had the tank water tested to confirm that it was safe to add fish.

With the okay, I decided to add fish right away only to learn that we should have already installed a heater. The LFS informs us that we should add the heater at least one day prior to adding fish to stabilize the temperature. (Luckily, we are able to immediately add the Snail that my 4 year old nephew picked out on the spot.)

With the temperature stabilized, we head back to the LFS the next day. We decide on a pair of Clown's, 2 shrimp and a 3 small hermit/cleaning crabs.

We follow their suggestion for adding the fish and the tank seems to be running fine.

The fish have been in for 4 days now and we absolutely love them. Looking forward to adding plant life, etc..

The whole experience has been very positive, we have so much to learn and have many questions.

One suggestions I would make is to: Try to find someone who is very knowledgeable/experienced and will explain the "big picture." Someone who understands why you are asking certain questions rather than just answering, yes or no.

Nano-Reef.com

Our LFS has given us 3 different answers on when we should do our first water change.

In our 9 gallon, which has been running for 3 weeks (4 days with fish), when should we do our first water change? How much should we change?

You should start doing water changes weekly of 10% now with fresh RO, RO/DI, or distilled water with your salt mix. Top off with freshwater

Should we own a water testing kit and test the water frequently at home? How often? What should we be looking for?

It is always good to have your own test kit and test at home. for you i would say test every week before a water change for salinity (test that one daily). nitrate, nitrite, ammonia should be good for now, but as you add corals and what not you will need to test for more.

What about the spot for the refugium in the back of the tank? Should we be utilizing this? What should we add to it?

Refugiums are always good to use. if you can get a light back there and put some chaetoo in that would be best, if not you can run chemi pure, filter floss, etc

When is it safe to begin adding plants? Anenome? LFS said 3 months? What changes are we looking for to make it okay?

By plants if you mean corals, i would say wait at least another month. Anemones require very high lighting as well and very mature tanks. What lighting do you have, so we can tell which corals will do good under your lighting

We initially purchased ~ 8-9lbs of live rock. Looking at the tank, I don't feel as if this is enough. Is there enough rock in there? Would it be okay to add more or would this mess with the balance? How much more?

You can add more if you want, make sure it is cured live rock and put it in as fast as possible when returning from the fish store. you may see a little bit of fluctuation with your parameters but nothing major if it is cured.

Should the rock be set towards the back of the tank? Many of the tanks I have seen seem to be set up this way. Is it okay to move them?

IMO rock placement is a personal choice, i like to keep it as long as i can clean each side of the tank

Do I have too many fish/shrimp, etc.. for this size tank? Or do I still have room for more?

I would say no more shrimp or fish for this tank, just corals, snails, and some more hermits if you would like.

We purchased an inexpensive thermometer that sticks on the outside of the tank. It is very difficult to see the temperature on this one. Any suggestions on a better brand/where to find it?

There are many thermometers out there, just dont go cheap on it (the one you have is a cheap-o). i use Big time Little temp which you can buy on marinedepot.com

Much more to come, but in the meantime any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cant wait to see it progress!

Hope this helps, my answers are in bold in the quote.

:welcome: to N-R

Most people do a water change every 1-2 weeks, especially since the tank is pretty new. Usually about a 10% water change.

You should buy a testing kit for your water. I would test for Nitrite,Nitrate, and Ammonia to start, later you can test for things like calcium,phosphate,etc. Test a few times a week to start off, but as your tank gets older you can test less often.

A refugium would be nice to have. Most people put some live-rock rubble and some cheato algae in there and get a small light so the cheato will grow. I don't personally have one, but many people do, so they could help you out there.

Buy plants I assume you are talking about corals? I don't think your lighting is strong enough for an anemone, but most soft corals and LPS corals should do well. Since you plan on adding rock, wait until you have all the rock you want, then let your levels(nitrate,nitrite,ammonia) stabilize again, then try your first coral!

I would for sure add more rock, it gives more room for corals. Look for rock that is very porous and light, you get more for your money. It depends on how well cured the rock that you get is. It could cause another small cycle, but you could do frequent water changes to keep your levels stable.

The rock set-up really depends on how you want it, but if it is against the back wall it is more stable, as long as you have enough flow this would be a good route to take :)

Your two fish and shrimp are fine as far as bio-load, but don't add any more fish.

I hope I helped.. I would also buy some more clean-up crew. I would get some snails such as...

Nassarius snails to clean the sand bed

Cerith/Astrea snail(s) to clean the sides

Turbo snail(s) to clean everywhere :P

Your off to an awesome start, the tank is really nice looking. If you have any other questions you can stop by my tank thread(in my signature below).

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread though, I think you tank will look really nice in a few months time.

Oh and.. :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Hope this helps, my answers are in bold in the quote.

Dang! You beat me to it!!

:P

That's an attractive little tank. What is the lighting over the main tank, and is there a separate light for the refugium? I would start doing a 10-20% water change weekly or biweekly. Are you running carbon/charcoal? Let things settle for a couple of weeks and test for the nitrates, and observe if there is any algae growth. In the future what things are you interested in keeping?

The tank came with a prefilter and Biofilter Filter Basket

* The Nanowave ships with this basket installed and loaded with biomedia.

I haven't added anything else.

I really like this tank http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=144278&hl= and would like to have a similar look.

I particularly like the anenome, xenia, plate frag?, GSP and hammerhead from the pics in that thread.

What should I be looking for before adding any of the above?

What lighting do you have, so we can tell which corals will do good under your lighting

All I know about the lighting is: Over 5 watts per gallon with 2X24 PC lighting and the refugium does have a light.

Just did my first water change and some adjusting in my tank. After a few minutes, I noticed what look a long thin green worm/eel/snake (with a whitehead?) swim through the tank. It fell to the sand and just buried itself never to be seen again. It was about 2-3 inches long. I have been searching and haven't found anything. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? I know I never added it to the tank so it must have come in with the sand or live rock?

Just did my first water change and some adjusting in my tank. After a few minutes, I noticed what look a long thin green worm/eel/snake (with a whitehead?) swim through the tank. It fell to the sand and just buried itself never to be seen again. It was about 2-3 inches long. I have been searching and haven't found anything. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? I know I never added it to the tank so it must have come in with the sand or live rock?

Just arrived home and found the same little guy swimming through the tank. Just to be safe, I captured him and removed him from the tank. Pictures attached....Anyone have any ideas?

Also some new photos with new corals...

post-38138-1221693546_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693557_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693579_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693588_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693765_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693782_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693792_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693799_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693810_thumb.jpg

post-38138-1221693818_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was reading in a few other threads that the flow in this tank is not quite strong enough. Also, some folks were even upgrading the lighting.

I was wondering if a powerhead would help with the flow? Or would it be too much? Would anyone be able to recommend a powerhead?

Also, anyone know of a place to buy a hood with the upgraded lighting and fans?

Coming Along... I wonder if the live rock is too green?

Coralline algae (usually purple, pink, or red) will grow eventually over the green (that'e what mine did anyways). A Korallia nano would do well, they have a pretty broad flow pattern, so it wouldn't be too strong.

Looking good so far! :D

BustytheSnowMaam

You could put a small powerhead in there, a good spot would be an opposite corner to create a current-like effect.

Also it looks like your LR didn't have much coralline on it to begin with- if I were you I'd add some really nice rock that is completely covered with coralline. Having 2 lbs of LR per gallon doesn't hurt. Algae doesn't grow as readily on coralline-covered rock. Eventually the coralline will spread over onto your "green" rock and it will look much better.

I had that problem before with algae,but I put about 3 lbs of coralline rocks and less than 3 months the "green" rocks became more purple,as far as everything else,it looks good for a start. I would recommend this, try to organize your rocks so that when you buy more you have an idea how to set it up at your tank. And some corals do need high light to survive so keep that in mind when you go out and buy more coral.

CHEERS!

Thanks for the input. I found the KORALIA NANO 240 GPH 3.5W at Amazon for$28 and free shipping.

I plan on heading to the LFS to find more live/coralline rock.

If I can find some fully cured, will I have to worry about adding it right to the tank? Do I need to find a way to let it cycle?

BustytheSnowMaam

If you buy it cured, you should be fine. Otherwise, you can put it in a bucket with some aeration for a month or so to cure it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough weekend for the reef. Our area was hit by a terrible ice storm. We lost heat and electricity for a few days and the temperatures in the area were in the 20's. We had to purchase a battery powered aerator and do hot water changes a number of times. We also stuck a number of toe warmers around the tank to try and keep it warm. Overnight, the water temp in the tank dropped below 60. Finally, our power came back on and we were able to stabilize.

Its been a few days since the tank has heated back up and, fortunately, most of it looks okay. The Xenia, and Duncan corals look like they are surviving, but not flourishing as they were before the ice storm. Its been a few days since the duncans opened up, but at least everything else looks ok - for now.

Hoping to get everything back to the way it was. Anyone else ever have a similar experience? Any tips?

• 4 weeks later...

New Pics. These baby Onyx clowns were sent to me from Nano-reef.com member Christoclowns Christoclowns for free.

These guys are beautiful. Can't wait to see how they develop.

I hope they do well, I am scared that one of my shrimp is going to grab them.

Here are some pictures...

IMAGE_196.jpg

IMAGE_200.jpg

IMAGE_208.jpg

IMAGE_209.jpg

IMAGE_210.jpg

IMAGE_219.jpg

IMAGE_219.jpg

IMAGE_223.jpg

IMAGE_224.jpg

IMAGE_226.jpg

Nice tank i just set my Nano Wave 9 up 2 weeks ago i love it ........only thing im worried about is the tank is getting discontinued and the main display lamps are a special size as far as the pin configuration goes ....where are u getting replacements?

Nice tank i just set my Nano Wave 9 up 2 weeks ago i love it ........only thing im worried about is the tank is getting discontinued and the main display lamps are a special size as far as the pin configuration goes ....where are u getting replacements?

Hi Welcome to Nano-reef.com!

Not sure about the lights. I know I am going to need them in the next few weeks but haven't had time to search just yet. I will put a post up if/when I find them. Let me know if you do too. Post some pics of your setup.

th_NanoTank003-2.jpg

Pic before algea. To embarased to show curent condition I have added a small clean up crew been alive for a week now so i may add a couple more to get rid of hair algea. Also does ur refugium cup fill up with water quickly? And is there a way to fix this problem, and am i lossing salt with the water that fills the cup up do i need to monitor my salt lvl to watch for this.

Archived