Pod Your Reef

New 29G BIOCUBE ( my first tank ever )

Nosey

As I am new at this I will post my mods, and pic's for people to see,and make recommendations. Like i said I have never done this before, so it's all new to me, I can almost compare this too trying to learn a new language ...lol..

I have done the usual mods that you find on this website; bioballs gone, cut out plastic to increas water flow etc......It's all in the pic's

post-38701-1220920972_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In chamber 2 I have placed....you guessed it ...a Fuge...lol...In this pick you can see the light ( I'll talk about the light next) coming through from the backside of the tank into chamber 2

post-38701-1220922053_thumb.jpg

you are ganna want to get another pump when you get it started up cause i have a biocube 14 and when i put the hydroflow on it cuts down about 30% of your water flow but does help with making it more turbulent. So i just bought a 10 $ pump with all the fittings and put that in and now i have good flow and am happy

My light is a 6500K 15W Life-Glo light that i got from a pet store. I bought a desk lamp, and took it apart to use the socket and cord. It gives off little heat, and is supper bright.It is a full spectrum, so it should do the trick for growth in the Fug.

you are ganna want to get another pump when you get it started up cause i have a biocube 14 and when i put the hydroflow on it cuts down about 30% of your water flow but does help with making it more turbulent. So i just bought a 10 $ pump with all the fittings and put that in and now i have good flow and am happy

I did get anouther pump or flow head, it's coming up!

In my light, I used the girlfiends cake pan.....don't tell her please!!!!!!!..., and drilled some holes for air. I did the same as everyone and velcroed it in place on the back of the tank. In this pic you can se how much light is coming out of chamber 2.

post-38701-1220922423_thumb.jpg

post-38701-1220922839_thumb.jpg

As you can see my tank is up and running already, I just didn't post anything or start this forum until now. In this pick you can see that i just added the water, and about 35lbs of live sand. In he back I have about 5 lbs of LRR with some in camber 1 next to my heater, and the rest under the bottom drip tray of chamber 2. I replaced the plastic flore in chamber 2. I have also cut out the extra chunk of plastic for added water flow from chamber 1 to 2.

post-38701-1220923507_thumb.jpg

This was taken 24h later, at this point i started up the pump, and got it running. I had extra LR so i put it in the main tank. I added water on the 30 Aug 08.

post-38701-1220924120_thumb.jpg

This is the Chaeto that i added 4 days later to chamber number 2. It's a small amount but i'm hoping that it will grow fast.

02 Sep 08 I went out to the store and bought 20lbs of cured LR, and this pic was taken just after adding it.

This pic was taken the next day, and you can see the difference in the clarity of the water. I like all the little holes that i have in the rock, lots of places for fish etc to hide.

post-38701-1220924453_thumb.jpg

post-38701-1220924749_thumb.jpg

In this pic you can see the inside of the tank stand. I have placed one of the shelfs in the middle, and two 70L tubs above, and bellow. This is to house the extra 67L that i will need for the auto water changer. I need the ability for the tank to be self sustainable for long periods, so this set up will give me up to a month, if not more. It will be able to do a 15% water change weekly....I hope...when i get the pump. I bought the stand off of a website for my area ( the stock one is too small for the AWC ). It came with two shelfs, so i cut one up into little fingers, and screwed them in as extra suports for the weight of all the water. ( I think in total with everything AWC, LR, Fish, LS etc. around 440lbs)

Filter Fiber, or floss that is on the top of the drip tray in chamber 2. I have changed it since, and will talk about it in anouther pic.( it's a pillow )

More pic's of my rock,this was taken on the 2 Sep 08....I never thought for a second, that setting up some rock would be so much fun...lol

Top view

In this pic you can see the filter floss on top of the drip try. I have placed a media bag filled with " Rowa Phos" hanging on the edge of the two chambers, were i cut out the pastic.

post-38701-1220925573_thumb.jpg

post-38701-1220925992_thumb.jpg

post-38701-1220926330_thumb.jpg

As you can see in this pic, I have added an extra 6lbs of LR. I think i'll stop at 29lbs, and make up the difference with the rock that comes with corral as i go ( what do you think? ). I have only 2 more lbs to add...lol...I have to find a place to put it!. In is pic, you can also see that i have added a " Hydor Koralia 2 "

pump head ( added 06 Sep 08 )

post-38701-1220926630_thumb.jpg

post-38701-1220927105_thumb.jpg

I did a Mod to the drip tray in chamber two. I took the stock filter cartridge, and gutted it, then zapped the pastic cart to the drip tray, and filled it up with filter floss. I pushed them together, and Zap Straped them in place.

Filter Floss

post-38701-1220927607_thumb.jpg

New tray with filter floss. It's back in place on the top of the Chet in chamber two.

One Week later!.....I have also moved the med bag. It's now in chamber 3, were the spunge was next to the pump. I hope it works out there.

post-38701-1220927868_thumb.jpg

So I put water in the tank on the 30 Aug ( that was so much fun...lol), and if all goes well I'll get my CUC this weekend, maybe the week after, what do you think?......I would like to thank everyone in this forum, because without you, the tank would still be in the box. I would have to say this hobby is unreal, i have had so much fun so fare, and i don't even have livestock yet....lol

Archived