SaltCritters.com

David and Katies NC24DX

davidncbrown

So I've been on here for a couple months now, I don't have time to post all that much but I decided I would get a few pictures of my tank. Ok so actually it's half mine and half my girlfriends... Ok so maybe mostly my girlfriends... Ok so heres the deal, it's at my house and I take care of it, she buys most of the livestock and I buy maintenance stuff. Now that all the lying and deception is over with heres the stats for my tank:

PH:8.2

SG:1.025

Temp: ~79F

Salt: Seachem Reef Salt

Filtration:

bag of purigen

bag of chemipure elite

sapphire nano skimmer

sump with LR

Chiller:

JBJ Nano 1/15th HP

Rio Aqua 1400 return from sump to chiller to tank

Circulation:

MJ1200 main circulation

Nano koralia

Lights:

current sunpod with a 150W 14K bulb

Livestock:

algae blenny

purple firedarter

skunk cleaner shrimp

misc astrea snails

misc pyramid snails

1 fighting conch

misc nassarius snails

misc blue leg hermits

misc scarlet leg hermit

kenya tree

hammer coral

radioactive dragon eye zoas

green zoas

cats eye zoas

orange zoas

misc gold dust-ish zoas

sky blue palys

snowflake polyps

red mushrooms

green striped mushroom

purple mushroom

doughnut coral

aussie blastomussa

green clove polyps

tuxedo featherduster

maxima clam

aussie acan

favia

birdsnest

Yay pictures!

post-37235-1220748283_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748336_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748383_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748421_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748491_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748532_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748564_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748602_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748636_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748679_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1220748714_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! It's not exactly full of life, but then again we are just two poor college students and don't really have the money for much livestock. I bet the most expensive thing in our tank was the doughnut, or the aussie blasto... All the zoa colonies were added within the last 5 months.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just had an idea... I'm currently battling hair algae like crazy... I was going to get a phosban reactor and hook it inline with my skimmer, but I don't want to have to replace the phosban media so often, plus it just gets rid of phosphates. I was also thinking about putting chaeto in the middle filter compartment in my tank, peeling the sticker off the back, and placing a 24W CF light against the glass. How about if I put chaeto in the reactor and put the light up to the reactor? I could wrap the whole thing in aluminum tape so no light escapes and that way I wouldn't have to mess around with peeling the backing off the tank. Anyone else heard of somebody doing this before? Is it possible to do or would the chaeto grow so fast it would impede the flow?

I peeled off the backing on my and have Chaeto growing like crazy in my middle comparment. It is pretty easy to do. Just score 2 lines with a razor blade, and mine peeled off in one large piece. I mounted a 22w 4000K CF bulb on the back and run it on a reverse cycle to my main lighting. It does spill some light into the Display at night, but I kind of like the effect, kinda like moon lighting. I trim my Chaeto every month to month and a half. I cant comment on the reactor.

I had some Cyano and it went away shortly after adding the Chaeto.

Your tank looks excellent by the way. I hope mine looks that good some day.

Thanks for the info. I've seen a couple posts on here with it done and it looked like it works pretty well. I've read that chaeto grows better if it is tumbled... I figure if I can put it in the reactor the stronger water flow through the reactor might help. As it is right now, my pump for my chiller is in the middle compartment and doesn't a) leave much room B) pumps so much water through the chiller that there isn't much flow from the middle compartment to the third.

Ok so heres some new pictures. Well some are of stuff already in my tank, but I did get some new green clove polyps!

img380901vu5.th.jpg

Here's the new polyps!

img380101qp6.th.jpg

Another pic.

img379801ft8.th.jpg

Last pic.

img380801dp2.th.jpg

some sky blue palys.

img380001bp9.th.jpg

Scarlet leg hermit

img380601da7.th.jpg

zoas, palys, and mushrooms

img380201ck8.th.jpg

hammer coral

img380501cx4.th.jpg

No idea I just found it the other day in the back of my tank... anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
davidncbrown

Alright so update in case anyone cares... Tomorrow I will be building an acrylic refugium. Its going to be total about 8 gallons and I'm mainly building it so that I can have a refugium. I'm going to keep chaeto and some LR rubble in the fuge. Maybe another macro too, we'll see. I'm having a serious nutrient/hair algae problem in my tank right now and I don't have the time between school and work to do water changes as often as I'd like to. I'll post pictures either tomorrow or saturday.

Thanks Lizzie. Ya I just partially hooked up the sump today. I was a slacker and didn't take pics of its construction. I should have it up and running in a couple days. Fingers crossed.

• 5 weeks later...

So just on the off chance anyone out there is watching, I am planning on a big update to whats going on with my tank. First off I ordered a 150W Sunpod, which I will hang above my tank. I also am making a custom hinged top for my nano so none of my fish jump out. I'm going to use a true overflow for my sump so that I don't have to mess around with it so much. I have a sapphire nano skimmer that makes my water pristine, and I'll get pics up of my super cool new black and white feather duster.

Alright so heres some updated pics of my tank. I had a bit of a coralline dieoff and I am still battling GHA but hopefully my new sapphire skimmer will help make that a thing of the past.

img3897wo6.th.jpg My new tuxedo feather duster!

img3905cx9.th.jpg Sorta FTS

img3904ns9.th.jpg FTS

img3903vo5.th.jpg FTS

img3901zo6.th.jpg Full setup with sump

img3902ob3.th.jpg Sump with massive amounts of chaeto

img3899kc0.th.jpg My sky blue paly's are fishing! Its neat to watch when they all do it they let out these brown threads with balls on the end and capture stuff in the water column and reel it back in. The first time I saw this I thought they were pooping haha.

• 1 month later...

I have been dealing with quite a few problems lately... My entire pod population in my fuge was almost wiped out because I had to treat it for flatworms. Luckily they were only present in my fuge, so I didn't have to treat my whole tank. My GHA is out of control, it is mostly in part to me being so busy with work and school as of late that I haven't been pulling it out. I've decided part of my nutrient problem is that I don't have enough LR. I have quite a bit of detritus in my fuge and even in parts of my main tank. I am going to start dosing Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7 and possibly vodka at the same time to kick the excess nutrients in the butt. At this rate I think the GHA in my tank is sharing the nutrients equally with the chaeto in my fuge... My nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all at zero.. I have also been thinking about buying a pygmy sea hare from my LFS to eat some of the hair algae up. Now that it's winter break I'll have some time to get some new tank shots up, and update on the status of the GHA.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I'm still waiting for my new LR to cure (its been about 2 weeks and still not done), but I've been dosing microbacter with some good results. There has been a noticeable difference in the amount of detritus in my sump. I haven't really noticed much in the tank, but my GHA's color has been fading to brown which might indicate it's getting nutrient deprived. I also got a sea hare which has been chowing down on my algae. I'd take a picture but he is currently buried in the sand... But anyway, new fts from this month, and one from december, new clam, and pics of my scooter blenny struttin' his stuff.

December FTS and the new (now 2 months old) sunpod setup

ftsdec.jpg

Here's another pic

ftsdec2.jpg

Here's one of my girlfriends Christmas presents, a sweet looking maxima

clam1.jpg

Here it is again. Really neat color pattern. It's only been in our tank for one day so far and it looks good.

clam2.jpg

Heres an FTS from this month. You might be able to see that there is less hair algae.

ftsjan.jpg

Here's our red scooter blenny strutting his stuff!

scooter4.jpg

He definitely thinks he can get all the girls!

scooter7.jpg

Last but not least, my sea hare laid eggs... on my snail. Ya, he's a little special.

eggs.jpg

• 1 month later...

new pics, new corals. GHA is gone because of our friend the sea hare.

IMG_3990_1536x2048.jpg

Crappy picture of my acan

IMG_3991_1536x2048.jpg

better picture

IMG_3992_1536x2048.jpg

new favia

clam.jpg

clam hangin with the scooter blenny

ftsfeb.jpg

February FTS

rainford.jpg

little rainford goby :)

blasto2.jpg

aussie blasto. just counted today and it has 19 heads total, its just most are covered up by the large ones.

Great shots the tank looks awesome and you guys have some great fish

Thanks. :) I have a hard time taking pictures through the glass of the aquarium because it has a curvature to it and it distorts and makes everything blurry. The only time it works is with my macro lens really close up to the front or with my zoom lens with image stabilization if I'm standing at least 4 feet away and I zoom in on what I want.

• 6 months later...

well done to both of you your tank looks fab

and im loving the blenny the more i see them

the more im thinking yes one of those on the list,

start my tank in 2wks cant wait but such a newbie

wont be anywhere near these on here they are awesome :bowdown:

• 11 months later...

Archived