Coral Vue Hydros

40g custom acrylic rimless cube

cbort

Here is a link to the last time i had this system set up.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146951

I sold the entire set-up to a buddy of mine and then set up this 80g cubish tank by oceanic.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161067

But in the end i am more of a nano type of guy, so i bought the tank back and here we go again!

Here are some pics of the tank with all the inhabitants transferred. I am awaiting on the lights which should be here next week. And Dori and Foxface will be also leaving me next week for larger homes.

Here are my last pics of the 40g cube before i took it down to set up the 80g cube

pics093.jpg

pics094.jpg

pics095.jpg

pics096.jpg

And Here are the new pics. Black sand out and White sand in

pics295.jpg

pics296.jpg

pics297.jpg

pics298.jpg

pics299.jpg

pics300.jpg

Here are some pics with the white balance fixed.

pics305.jpg

pics306.jpg

pics307.jpg

pics312.jpg

pics313.jpg

pics314.jpg

and my sump set up for now

pics308.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone like the white sand better than the black sand?

I think it looks better a more of a clean look.

Does anyone have any comments about the light pole?

Tank Specs:

24x24x15T Acrylic made by Scott @ ASD from KC, MO

Tank has a built in False wall with a flat lip so the water overflows perfectly.

Filtration and Flow:

10g Sump using a filter sock

QuietOne 6000 Return pump

AquaC EV120 rated at 120g tank

Temperature:

I am picking up a Custom Sealife drop in Heater/Chiller on Tuesday w/Ranco controller for 75.00

Pretty Sweet unit. drop in the coil....set the temp you would like your tank to maintain and this coil heats or cools as needed.

Lighting:

Here is my lighting i just bought on Ebay for $30.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170254718836

Here is the same light brand new

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide-Aquari...1QQcmdZViewItem

Future Plans:

The rear section behind the false wall will soon be sectioned off and on the left side i will have a nice refugium, and here is the light i bought for $10.00 from the same lady

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170254712504

And here is another post of a brand new one like the one i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coralife-20-Aquarium-9...Q2em118Q2el1247

New chiller/heater installed today! Its a CustomSeaLife 1/4 HP chiller/heater, with a Ranco Temp controller. Works sweet!

pics320.jpg

pics321.jpg

It is used either as a heater during the winter or a chiller during the summer. I have a heater in the back of my tank behind the false wall, and then i dropped the chiller coil into the sump. It has a differential setting and you can set it from 1-30 degrees. I have it set at 1 degree so as soon as my tank hits 78 it kicks on and cools it down to 77. Pretty sweet!

Fuzzy Pic of the sump with the coil in the sump

pics325.jpg

And a pic of the Ranco Temp Controler

pics323.jpg

And here is a pic of my newly added BlueHeaded Fairy Wrasse, so far she is eating very well and swimming quite a bit too.

pics327.jpg

Nice tank. I've always loved the look of a cube tank...just set up a 16" cube myself.

One thing to note on that fixture...it's an Odyssea, so you might hear some bad stuff but it's really not that bad. Something to note is that in the future, a good investment will be a new or used ballast to replace the one it comes with. Their ballasts are really bad for power factor loss and as such, a different ballast will probably improve your lighting color and PAR by 25 - 40 percent.

There are some really huge threads on RC about it, so search around and you will see what I mean. In the mean time...did I mention...holy crap $30 is a great deal!!!

hey thanks for looking. Throw up your thread and i will take a look at your cube! I love cubes myself! Hope to have a 48x48x24 cube someday.

Yes i have been told to switch the ballast out with a icecap, but will wait a bit to do that. Thanks for the advice and comments!

And ya thanks, i couldn't believe 30.00 either! Hope it gets here this week!

well....first off i had sold the tank to a buddy and then bought it back and when i sold it the sand went too....but when i bought it back the sand didn't come with it. I think it looks better! What do you think? All the colors seem to pop very well, cant tell as well in the pics tho.

Thanks for the comments about the aquascaping! Tried to leave open spaces for the blue headed wrasse.

I have to start a thread (Was alittle of a slacker) lol. I had to move to a new place and all my corals/fish and live rock are in temp tanks and huge gladware containers. I was hoping my new filter would have been here but not untill this weekend and i'll be able to set up the tank back up. I'm building a brand new filter but the acrylic hasn't arrived. According to UPS it should be here 2morrow. So hopefully by next week i'll have a thread with plenty of pics. New filter and all. Great deal on that light too. Very nice.

missed the package yesterday :angry: so......my light will be here tomorrow! I am going to paint my light rail today, and attach my hanging kit. So the light should be hung and ready to go by tomorrow night! Can't wait!

After that, i will be working on my sump. Right now i am using a 10g and will be switching to a 15T Will be able to raise the water level this way.

Light is here!!! Will hang it tonite! Anyone know if a good 20k bulb 250W. This bulb is like ultra white, and not too fond of it. Need suggestions! Thanks

New light came today! Whoohoo! Still not hung yet, but it came with legs so it will just sit on the tank until i get a chance to hang it up.

Its a 24" fixture made by Odyssey and uses a 250W HQI ballast. The bulb is 15K and also there are 2 55W PC Actinic bulbs. For night time the fixture has 8 LED's

pics333.jpg

pics332.jpg

pics331.jpg

Oh ya and i got it off of ebay for 30.00

Now:

Water overflows the false wall into a large open area behind tank, where it is sucked up and down through the durso into my 10g sump. It is first filtered through a sock filter, then through some more live rock up and under a bubble trap, and back to the display via a quietone 6000

Soon To Be:

water will overflow false wall into a large refugium thick sand bed lots and lots of macro algae and then it will get sucked up and down through a durso into a soon to be 15g Tall sump, filtered through a filter sock, and filtered through an AquaC EV120 Skimmer and then through more live rock and then up and down throgh the bubble trap and back to the display via quiet one 6000

Just got back from KC and got a sweet new light, its also a Odyssea all in one fixture.

The one on the left is my Odyssea 250W HQI with 2x65 actinics and 8 moonlights.

The one on the right is my new fixture, its a 150W HQI with 2x24 actinics and 2 moon lights

pics284.jpg

pics285.jpg

pics286.jpg

One light will be for my display tank, and the other is going to be for the frag tank i am planning. It is going to be a diy 18x18x8"T tank. It will be down the road but will probably be a AGA 10g for the time being.

Ok....I switched lights. I went with the 150W hqi. I was told the par on 150W HQI's are better anyway. And also the bulb he sold me was a coralvue 20k and i like the color 10x better than the 15k on the 250W.

And... i suspended the fixture from the ceiling! I hope it stays there! I am using egg crate over the tank, so if it were to fall atleats i will have a safty net! haha

Anyways here are the pics....

pics293-1.jpg

pics294-1.jpg

pics295-1.jpg

pics296-1.jpg

pics297-1.jpg

pics299-1.jpg

Archived