Coral Vue Hydros

Solana Time

Cubby23

My Solana low iron "Starphire" edition is coming tomorrow. I have been reading a ton of Solana threads and really looking forward to making a great system.

Right now I'm in the market for a 250w Sunpod and a Tunze 6025. If I don't find them used within the next 1-2 weeks I'm prepared to buy them new.

Specs

34G tank

250w Sunpod = 7.36 WPG

Still deciding on which live rock. 90% chance I will buy 30 lbs of Dr.F&S's Select Lalo rock. Has anyone bought this before? I will also add the 7lbs of live rock from my current tank.

CUC:

Will update asap.

I'm planning on doing a mixed reef with LPS, SPS, and softies.

Livestock, this is where I hope I'm not pushing it.

2 True Perc

3 Chromis

1 Bangai Cardinal

1 Gramma?

Is that school of Chromis too big? Would it be more suitable if I upgraded my skimmer to a 9002?

Pics will be here tomorrow, I'm really excited.

Please leave all comments and concerns, I love input!

I'd say consider different LR, haven't heard great things about Drs. F&S. Try premium aquatics

Also would recommend different fish list- 5 chromis will kill each other and all 8 of those fish is a heavy bioload. Consider a school of blue line cardinals maybe?

Thats also too many snails/hermits, they'll starve out

It came broken, It Came Broken, IT CAME BROKEN!!!

Also, the chromis would kill each other? Everything I have read says that they do great in small schools.

OK OK, i got another and I'm having huge bubble problems.

I finally got my Solana set up. Using the pump and nozzle setup from the broken Solana I got a added an extra pump in the middle chamber. I drilled the hole just above where the coarse pad usually sits and the pump sits on the bottom just lihe the other one. It is making MILLIONS OF BUBBLES. It seems that both of my return chambers are not getting enough water and are sucking lots of air. How can I fix this?

OK OK, i got another and I'm having huge bubble problems.

I finally got my Solana set up. Using the pump and nozzle setup from the broken Solana I got a added an extra pump in the middle chamber. I drilled the hole just above where the coarse pad usually sits and the pump sits on the bottom just lihe the other one. It is making MILLIONS OF BUBBLES. It seems that both of my return chambers are not getting enough water and are sucking lots of air. How can I fix this?

see reply in my thread

OK, I unplugged the additional pump and now only running the regular one. It still looks like a bubble show! Why isnt there enough wate in the third chamber?

OK I got it. You need at least half the overflow filled with water.

Bubbles are out, sand is in. Live rock from Premium Aquatics is on its way! I got 15 lbs of cured fiji and 15 pounds of nano. Pics when rock comes.

btw, with nothing in your tank the skimmer isnt going to work for you really anyway, so might as well unplug it until you are done cycling. Also, did you take out the bioballs from the back chambers? If not you'll want to do that for sure too.

Also when you are working the rock, make a structure you like but don't feel compelled to use every rock. If you have a piece that just "doesnt fit right" put it into the back chambers where it'll still give you all the benefits as though it was in the display without ruining the aquascape.

Just ordered a MaxiJet 900 with magnet holder and mod kit. Advertised and review accepted flow is 1600 GPH. At this rate I would be getting a ~58x turn over rate. Rock should be here on thurs and light is on its way too, I'm so excited.

Here are the two pictures I managed to snap. I actually have a great camera, Olympus E500, but no photography experience. My order from Premium Aquatics came in today and I'm pretty happy with the rock. My concern was that it did not come in wet enough. Is just damp paper enough to keep all the life alive? Its my own fault that I ordered more nano rock and less regular sized rock than I should have. Here is a aquascape as of now. Is it definitely too short? I think it looks shorter than it really is, its 6-7" from the waterline. It is built with SPS shelves in mind. I'm happy with it for now.

My 250w Sunpod was scheduled to arrive today as well but stupid me wasn't around to sign for it.

008-2.jpg

009-3.jpg

Rock is fine. I always try to have room above the rock. Wasnt stupid you about the light, it was the stupid sender. :P You will prob have some die off, but most LR is shipped that way.

Here we go. The metal halide is fantastic, thank you very much to dtfleming. I pu tin my turbo madded MJ 900 and it was extreme! I had to trim the prop about 25% to not have a sand storm. SO now I'm guessing the flow is ~1200 GPH not 1600. I also redid my aquascape and I'm so much happier with it. I can't wait for this cycle to be over to finally get some fish and corals in here.

001-4.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-7.jpg

Omg please wipe down the glass! lol!

Looks good, most rock is shipped that way which results in some die off. But even if you purchased rock from the LFS, it got to them in the same way, in newspaper.

My tank is still running pretty hot, I'm waiting for my fans to come ASAP, also cooler temps next week should help too. How worried should I be about my current CUC? It is peeking at over 84 degrees, are they in immediate danger?

My tank is still running pretty hot, I'm waiting for my fans to come ASAP, also cooler temps next week should help too. How worried should I be about my current CUC? It is peeking at over 84 degrees, are they in immediate danger?

when my tank was cycling with CUC it peaked to 84 just about every day for a month and I diddnt loose anything(turbo's and hermits, cant speak on nassarius snails), now instead of my lights comming on during the day they are on from 5pm-12:30am, and I run a small room fan breezing the top of the tank 24/7, this combined with good flow brought me down to a constant 79 even when daytime ambient air is far into the 80's

when my tank was cycling with CUC it peaked to 84 just about every day for a month and I diddnt loose anything(turbo's and hermits, cant speak on nassarius snails), now instead of my lights comming on during the day they are on from 5pm-12:30am, and I run a small room fan breezing the top of the tank 24/7, this combined with good flow brought me down to a constant 79 even when daytime ambient air is far into the 80's

Thats a good idea but my tank is in my bedroom. I hope this fan works, I really need to drop these temps.

Archived