Innovative Marine Aquariums

Added Sump/Fuge!

fellbeast

So after years of freshwater fish and reptiles, I decided to try a nano reef. After months of research I, I set up last week. My tank:

16 Gallon Bow

96 Watt T-5

Hydor 1

AquaC Remora

I bought my live rock from a LFS, the have the most amazing coral tanks I've ever seen! If you live in the Buffalo area, check em out..

http://www.saltwaterparadise.com/

Their rock is great, I think! It was fully cured. I also bought fesh RO/DI water and saltwater from them. They use Oceanic salt, and their tanks convinced me to go this route. It was $8 for 10 gallons. Setup was easy. More to come!

post-37607-1219876636_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219876644_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219876658_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219876670_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219876696_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219876977_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219876994_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219877023_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219877030_thumb.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is my tank's 9th day! Here are some pics! I added a small cleanup crew, and they went to town on hair algae and I feed them a supplement. Before I added the CUC, my Amonia spiked a lil' as did everything else, and now all my levels are 0! Then I added them. Knew I wouldn't have much of a cycle with the rock I used, and the rubble that was with it. My levels tested 0 today. Added Chaeto 3 days ago also. Lots of life in the tank. So far I have a beautiful red featherduster, a cranky ol brittle star, other tube worms, some what I think is snowflake polyps, maybe some one can help me with that? I have a crusty clam who opens up when I clean the rock and gravel.

post-37607-1219878001_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219878365_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1219880352_thumb.jpg

Your white coralline is probably just dead coralline algae. Happens if it gets exposed to air too long, and I'm not sure what else. You still have a good bit on your rocks, so I'm sure you have enough to spread around the rest of your tank.

Love those crazy crabs!

Your white coralline is probably just dead coralline algae. Happens if it gets exposed to air too long, and I'm not sure what else. You still have a good bit on your rocks, so I'm sure you have enough to spread around the rest of your tank.

Love those crazy crabs!

What's the best way to get it to spread, or does it do it on its own?

What's the best way to get it to spread, or does it do it on its own?

In a few months when you get tired of scraping coralline from the front glass you will be asking how to stop it from spreading. :lol:

Keep up with water changes and that will provide everything it needs (in addition to lighting) and give it time. It will grow when your tank is ready.

Your tank looks great and it seems that you are off to a good start. Continue to be patient and good things will continue to happen.

-hank

Continue to be patient and good things will continue to happen.

-hank

+100000

i really like your tank, cant wait to see it full!

got any stocking plans in mind yet?

EDIT: dont go with a cbs plzz :)

+100000

i really like your tank, cant wait to see it full!

got any stocking plans in mind yet?

EDIT: dont go with a cbs plzz :)

I'm actually getting the Cleaner shrimp like you suggested, lol. I just put in a xenia, and a hairy mushroom. My co-worker gave me some frags. I'm posting pics as we speak!

3 weeks and I added a few frags my friend at work was so kind to donate for a small price!

Xenia!

IMG_0164.jpg

Hairy Mushroom James!

IMG_0163.jpg

So far..

IMG_0242.jpg

Two days later..

IMG_0243.jpg

It seems James found himself a better spot!

IMG_0268.jpg

Red Tube Worm Hitcher! He's so small!

IMG_0091.jpg

A starfish I spotted the other day.. should I have removed him?

IMG_0238.jpg

Another featherduster!

IMG_0251.jpg

These guys almost glow.. what are they? lol

IMG_0253.jpg

Crabs!

IMG_0274.jpg

They grew back!

IMG_0261.jpg

I added a Banded Coral Shrimp, and within the first 15 min he found his spot. Heparks himself backwards like he's backing into a garage. He wanders a round for a lil, and then right back to his spot her goes!

"Let me Out!"

IMG_0289.jpg

Free! HAHA!

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

I miss my coral banded. =[

Watch out for his claws though, I heard if he gets too frightened, he could shoot them off like a harpoon.

Well not like a harpoon, but that'd be cool. :D

I miss my coral banded. =[

Watch out for his claws though, I heard if he gets too frightened, he could shoot them off like a harpoon.

Well not like a harpoon, but that'd be cool. :D

Woa I saw one at the pet store with one claw.. maybe that's what happened to him! How long do they take to grow back?

i would have waited more then 4 weeks to add a shrimp.They can be sensitive to water changes

CBC's and Peppermint shrimp are very hardy.. I have to change my water sometime. I don't think it was too early.. different strokes for different folks I guess!

I added a CBC yesterday and he killed my yellow-tailed damsel. As soon as I figure out how to catch him, he's going in my 3 gal pico.

Did you see it happen? How big was he? How little was your Damsel.. that's too bad. I wonder if the yellow tail was challenging him, they are both territorial.

I got to see him munching on it. Then I saw him challanging my strawberry basslet. I'll probably lure him with a piece of table shrimp and scoop him up with a net later this evening.

The damsel was about 2 inches. He was my first fish in the RSM after the 6 week cycle period.

I got to see him munching on it. Then I saw him challanging my strawberry basslet. I'll probably lure him with a piece of table shrimp and scoop him up with a net later this evening.

The damsel was about 2 inches. He was my first fish in the RSM after the 6 week cycle period.

Aw man sorry bout your loss, how big is your shrimp,mine is tiny.. 1 1/2".

Nice tank, but I question your decision on adding a CBS:

1) probably too early to add a shrimp (my 14g has been up for 30 days and I've only added 4 snails so far)

2) will get too large for this tank.

oh well, I could be wrong on both accounts (I've been wrong once before :D )...

hope it all works out for you.

Nice tank, but I question your decision on adding a CBS:

1) probably too early to add a shrimp (my 14g has been up for 30 days and I've only added 4 snails so far)

2) will get too large for this tank.

oh well, I could be wrong on both accounts (I've been wrong once before :D )...

hope it all works out for you.

Yeah, lol. Most said I'd be ok, and then some said don't do it, so of course I went with the majority.. only time will tell what happens. BTW my tank cycled the first week it was setup, and the rock I used was fully cured, its not a reason to rush, but I added snails and hermits 3 weeks ago, so I waited 3 weeks to add my CBS. LOL I guess certain situations call for certain actions.

I moved my mushroom, he was reaching towards the light after I added a skimmer. Coraline is starting to bloom.. bright pink!

...And a moonlight shot!

post-37607-1221450375_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1221450492_thumb.jpg

post-37607-1221450965_thumb.jpg

Archived