Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HelifaxNZ's 7G (27Litre) Nano Tank Build

helifaxnz

Hi Folks,

I've been breaking down my 24G tank and downsizing to an Aqua One Panorama 60 tank which is 60cm x 20cm x 25cm. 27 litres = ~ 7 gallons. Curved front. A nice tank, but expensive for what it is.

IMG_0629.jpg

Setting it up on a hall table near the front door.

IMG_0630.jpg

I have a Taam Rio nano skimmer (bought in USA). Has had very good reviews.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

The lighting is a T5 2x 14w lighting and 1x 14w 10000k Actinic lighting. It is able to tilt up to make it easier to get at the tank.

IMG_0632.jpg

I've added my Hydor nano Powerheads and put water in.

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Picture of what it looks like under the table.

IMG_0640.jpg

Have put some of my rock and corals in. Haven't really moved it to its final place yet. Not sure how I'm going to arrange it.

IMG_0647.jpg

With blue lights on only.

IMG_0656.jpg

Fish and Shrimp are now in as well. You can just see the yellow tail of my bi-colour blenny.

IMG_0649.jpg

Went to put water in my skimmer and it was leaking!!!

Took the pump out and find the rubber washer was bent when they installed it originally. Managed to correct it and insert the pump back with the washer sitting properly. Doing a leak test overnight before I install it on my nano.

I got some new Aragonite which I may or may not add into the tank. Not sure whether to keep as Bare Bottom.

30th July 2008

I've now setup the Rio nano skimmer. Was very noisy but now has settled down. Starting to foam up a little more as it breaks in.

I've aqua-scaped and happy with what I've done. Will keep as bare bottom for now.

IMG_0672.jpg

Not sure about the rock on the left. May get another piece and raise the bottom so there is another cave.

Fish and Shrimp are now in as well. You can just see the yellow tail of my bi-colour blenny.

Hey I have the same pair. I love these guys. Very active and not shy around me at all. Blenny is a PITA to get a picture of though. Nice setup. I like it a lot.

That right there is a sweet tank... I love it!!!

Is that table strong enough though??? I know it's only a 7gal. tank, but...

I've changed the left side and now very happy with what it looks like....

IMG_0698.jpg

Left side...

IMG_0699.jpg

Right side...

IMG_0701.jpg

Nice! Wish we could get those in the US. The dimensions are very close to the Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank, but yours seems much higher quality.

Hi, I'm getting very little skim at this time. Then again I only have a Green Clown Goby, bi-colour blenny and a shrimp + corals. It's still early days yet. The unit still needs time to break in.

IMG_0640.jpg

Oh man thats insane, your plugs look like little sad ghost faces! The UK is so trippy...

lol thats too funny

-btw Nice tank, I agree, it looks like a higher quality version of the petco 6.6 bookshelf aquarium

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rockerpeller. The zoos are doing very well thank you! Nice colour!

The UK plugs are big clunky ones. They have 3 prongs but look like a robot face.

The Rio Nano Skimmer is working very well now. I'm very impressed with this little skimmer. I'll have to take shots of it foaming and post on the site. It was well worth the us$19.95 for this product.

P.S. The underneath looks messier now!

Ok, here's some updates on the Nano Tank.

I was going through a rough time with some corals melting and I wasn't sure why because I was doing water changes. Found out that my digital refractometer was giving me a wrong reading and my salinity was over 1.030!

After purchasing a LED lit Refracto, all is sweet now :D and salinity is correctly 1.024.

All corals are looking very healthy and some now are recovering after looking like they are half dead and melting away.

I also moved the Koralia Nano Powerhead to the right side so I have both on the right of the tank which is giving less flow on the left and the low flow corals like the mushy and candys are enjoying.

My Taam Rio Skimmer is running very well. I still have the odd problems of it losing suction and then have to try to adjust the air intake again :roll: . Just the other day I bought a AquaClear Surface Skimmer attachment for the Rio. It works really really well and I'm getting prestine water. This AC SS can be adjusted so it sucks water from the normal bottom sieve as well as skim the surface.

P8275927.jpg

P8276007-1.jpg

P8276010.jpg

Here's some shots of my tank now.

P8276005.jpg

P8276006.jpg

P8276007.jpg

P8276004.jpg

Shots of some corals.

P8255916.jpg

P8275939.jpg

P8275942.jpg