inTank Media Baskets

My Frogspawn Forest, dial up beware

silverplanet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
silverplanet

no i don't mind them in my tank, they will eventually get covered in coralline. the returns are hooked up to a scwd and the overflows serve as a return and a surface skimmer. they serve there purpose and i don't lose space from having the "normal overflow design" the sand bed is about 60 pounds of black Tahitian moon sand and about 15 pounds of blue sand mixed in. i got it for free and it works and looks great.

Jason

Sweet looking tank. I like the frogspawn forest. Black sand looks great. Your sump set up is pretty cool looking also.

Keep up with the pics.

Jason

Nick's Reef

Simply amazing, I love how you have so many corals but still keep a clean uncluttered tank. Also what are you using for lighting?

silverplanet

my lights are 24" tek lights. 2 actinics bulbs, 1 actinic white and 1 6500k light. the urchin is caring around a bunch of clove polyps. once the lights come on they come out and have been growing new shouts on him as well.

Jason

dahliaheartsyou
Here is my 30 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump.

IMG_0774.jpg

WOW!!!

I didn't know they did THAT!!! :o

omg I want one....

Needreefunds

Nice job Jason.

The whole set up looks very well put together, congrats!

Froggy forest is sweet too.

For all you have going on there you still wound up with a clean looking system IMO.

I actually like seeing the hardware that makes up our DIY setups. Knowing how much effort goes into putting them together makes me appreciate the tank even more. Good work.

Keep those pics coming.

:)

silverplanet

A little update. i picked up 6 sps corals the other day. a fellow reefer was shutting down his tank and wanted the corals gone fast so i got them all for $75.00. what a sweet deal that was. there is even a acro crab in the corals so that is a nice bonus. picking up a rk2 tomorrow and then i just need a ro/di unit and my equipment list is done. going to mount all the sps on one big 13 pound rock next week, just letting them get used to my tank first. so here is a fts and some actinic and regular pics. enjoy.

FTS

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Find the acro crab

IMG_0914.jpg

hope you like the pics

Jason

silverplanet

well this tank has been running for a month almost, all the rock and water came from 2 tanks that i had running for a year. the only thing new to the system is the black sand. my return pump is a Eco 1056 GPH Submersible Pump that goes through a scwd. so i figure there is about 600pgh making it to the display and 2 koralia 1's pointed so it hits the return pipe flow and screws around with that. that flow looks really nice, i have lots of surface agitation and eddies forming on the top. the sps polyps are wiping around like crazy. i almost think it is to much. can flow rip the flesh off the sps?

Jason

Shoot Me_I Explode

Very nice tank you have there. Love the frogspawn forest. Gives inspiration for a torch coral forest I am thinking of doing.

Nice corals...especially for $75.00!!!!! Holy what a deal...that red mille is fantastic! Your tank is really pretty, I quite like the frogspawn forest, it's very cool!

gulfsurfer101

I always like the look of black sand. I run it in my AP 24. That sump is amazing and you made out like a bandit for those SPS corals. I too have a sixteen headed torch coral I am thinking of fragging soon. Your tank pics just might have pushed me to do it.

silverplanet

Well i redid my aquascape a little bit. mounted all of the sps on a big 13 pound rock right in the middle of the tank with the two returns that are hooked up to scwd and 2 hydor 1's pointed so that they interrupt the return flow.just finished installing my reefkeeper 2, man was that easy to setup.

FTS

IMG_0938.jpg

Left

IMG_0941.jpg

Middle

IMG_0939.jpg

Right

IMG_0940.jpg

Sump Right

IMG_0942.jpg

Sump Left

IMG_0943.jpg

Enjoy Jason

silverplanet

Woot new lights arrived today. i picked up a Aqua Science 24W 15000K, Aqua Science 24W 17500K and a Aqua Science 24W 22000K. my other bulb is a URI 24" 24W Actinic White.now all 4 bulbs will have a par rating and still not be to white for my taste. hopefully i will see some better growth from the corals and not from the algae.

Old Lights

IMG_0944.jpg

New Lights

IMG_0945.jpg

Old FTS

IMG_0938.jpg

New FTS

IMG_0946.jpg

Jason

Very nice! Wish i had a bigger tank so i could do stuff like that.

Question on your return lines, if there is a power outage isn't all that water going to drain out into your sump? Does the SWCD stop back flow?

Archived