Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

crash43's 29gal BC...

crash43

I'll put updates here on the first post. (Stock, Mods, Etc.)

4/30/09:

Filtration:

Chamber 1- Overflow cut down about 2" for more flow

Chamber 2- Bio-Balls taken out

Chamber 3- NO MODS

Lighting:

STOCK

FISH:

None

Inverts:

Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

CUC:

1 Mexican Turbo

1 Astrea

1 Nass.

Coral:

Red Mushrooms

Yellow Finger Leather

Pulsing Xenia

Kenya tree

LOTS of Small Zoa frags

1 Ric, not sure what kind yet

MY CYANO IS GONE!

Hello student of mine... sounds like your tank is maturing nicely. Couple of things to think about...

1. Get a few more Turbos or Astreas to help with the algae.

2. Cut back on the frozen food and try some cyclopeze or something.

3. Try using a free pic hosting website like imageshack.us or photobucket, you can upload pics and then just copy a link into the forums for the pictures to show kinda like in my thread.

4. Make sure your bulbs aren't too old, older bulbs cause more algae growth because of the spectrum change over time.

5. When school starts again I have some frags for ya, ric, couple different zoas, hammer etc.

Have a good weekend and get those pics up soon!

ok thanks teach.....

im on my way to south dakota right now for vacation, but if i git time, ill post them up on my photobucket and then up on NR.com.....

thanks!

PS- I'll try my best to git pics up ASAP

Alright, here we go...sorry they're kinda blury

FTS

l_ba55882438a7c221fc7774c53a1b14-1.jpg

I'm "Zoa sitting" this summer for a tank at my school

l_11fe312d2e2ff4834c926f4e7e355afb.jpg

Kenya Tree

l_558066b86163e024a6be3ecc530f25-1.jpg

my Green-Pink tipped frogspawn

l_99605203f27754f759047d649f9d88-1.jpg

just another pic, taken from the right side to the left of the tank

l_ad58398c190ab5ac626c8c7cf56a4e-1.jpg

my Clownfish

l_bcfe0fde7498eaafb0ed60ad6d59f3-1.jpg

Pulsing Xenia (SP), leather finger, red shrooms...need to be placed still

l_ca7112bc89fb0ea70bb3c678124c03-1.jpg

my yasha hasha...blury

l_fad8576a9c311e86acc6ff95d84a5e-1.jpg

Nice tank, but you need to get rid of the red slime(looks like cyano) before it kills your tank. Some redslime remover should do the job. Make sure you do a cyano test to confirm it, before you ad the medicin.

Looks like you have quite the cyano problem going on in there. As with anything, you can take the easy route and dump in something that will cure it quick or you can get to the root of the problem. I personally would try and see what is causing it to begin with and address that first.

Since the only flow that you really have in there is coming from the stock pump, I would really try and get another powerhead or upgrade that pump to something a little stronger. Also, as your "mentor" said, I would severely cut back on feeding frozen foods all the time. Unless you let it thaw in a small cut and then give it a good rinse, you are dumping all sorts of goodies that is just feeding the algae. If I had to guess, it is probably a mix of feeding too much, not enough nutrient export, and not enough flow that is causing these issues.

Also, it really looks like your fish are pretty unhealthy. Although firefish and gobies tend to have a slender body shape....yours look pretty emaciated. When is the last time that they ate? Make sure to find something that they take to...be it flake, pellet, or something soaked in Selcon or a Garlic supplement.

Overall it looks like your corals and algae are nice and healthy...the fish are a different story.

I agree whit divecj5, you should only add medicin as a last resort.

Increasing the flowrate would be a good start, if you only are running whit a return pump. About 20 times your tank size per hour, as a minimum.

Hi crash43, nice tank you have. It would be even nicer if the cyano are gone.

Maybe you can try to run phosphate removal media in a fluidize reactor to control the algae and at the same time increase your flow alittle and perhaps do more water change with DI water. :happy:

I've never seen so much cyano before.

Forget the other advice, get some Chemi-Clean now, follow the directions.

Dose a little less than what's required for your size tank.

Keep the lights off for the 2 days while the treatment is going.

Add an airstone for the 2 days.

After 2 days do a large waterchange.

Then go and get some more flow and phosphate removing media going.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all!

sorry i haven't been on much at all....i'm at work ALL hours of the day

ok some updates:

i think i'll jusat start off with changing the lights, see if that will help any

i think i might have found what is causing all of my cayno prob.'s......i have found 2 empty snail shells, and i found another awhile back...two Nass. snails, and a turbo, i'm down to 1 turbo, 0 Nass., 1 astrea...could these dead snails be the prob.?

Also, we have another death in the tank, my firefish died...R.I.P. :(.....I saw that he was belly-up dieing in the tank a couple days ago. So i took him out, and put him in a goldfish bowl so he could finish dying, and wouldn't give me any more prob. 's with my tank right now...

Alrighty Crash, sounds like you're getting hit with some pretty nasty cyano... so advice time...

1. Less frozen food (I found that when I was feeding the Formula 1 Variety food it caused an increase in algae even AFTER I rinsed it with R/O water!) I have been using cyclopeze frozen food which seems to feed the fish just fine and I Have 0 algae now!

2. Increase flow (Either upgrade the stock pump and toss a Hydorflo or some locklinks, I have some you can bum off me)

3. Find a skimmer that will work with your tank, this will help pull lots of crap out of your tank that other methods just can't quite get. I'll do some research and we'll talk about it sometime at school etc.

4. Get a R/O system so you don't have to come to school to get R/O, my unit isn't the best and you and your dad could supply your own water when you need it and won't have to resort to the occasional tap water!

See ya this weekend!

alright ill look into the food thing, sometimeor another, no idea when ill be able to tho...

ya i was goin to do the hole pump thing.....need to count my fish fund money....

how did the BC skimmer work for your brother?

we got a RO/DI filter about 2 weeks after school was out.... so im good there.....

He hasn't gotten a skimmer yet, hes out of money so just winging it with modded fuge.

I'm currently making R/O water now for the schools predator tank... should be fun but we need to get more salt from our donator...

O ok, let me know how it works....whenever he gits the skimmer...

do u want to put the zoas in the tank this year then? or do u want to wait for it to be turned into a reef tank again?...

Archived