Pod Your Reef

10 gallon fire hazard

hxcaquaman

hxcaquaman

welcome to my nano journal,

I've been keeping fish for the past 2 years and decided to keep a journal on this newest set up after the last one crashed, mostly due to neglect from working and school and the fact that my urchin and brain coral died within 2 days of each other and turned my water toxic... next thing I knew I had a 10 gallon box of brown and green algae.

so instead of giving up on the hobby

the set up is a 10 gallon glass aquarium hoping to make it into a nice mini reef -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whats in the box so far

hardware

--Toms Mini Rapid Canister filter

-- Current 20 dual 40 watt fixture

-- 5-15 submersible heater and a magnafloat

-- and a korila nano

Critters

1-black frog fish his name is Socrates and he is the destroyer of ghost shrimp and damsels.

2- scarlet hermits

4- zebra hermits

10- narassis snails

4- margarita turbos

2- mexican turbos

1- Flame Scallop

Other Stuff

roughly 10-12 lbs of sand

7.5-8 lbs of live rock

6 mangroves

cheato macro out the wazoo

grape macro stuffed in my filter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corals

green ricordia

silver Xenia

red mushrooms I started giving them away since they keep dropping off the rocks and growing new ones

lavender mushrooms

candy canes 4 heads

tora tree leather

toadstool leather

Green star ployps

Cabbage Leather

Green Devils Hand Leather

Button Polyps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for looking

--Ian

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hxcaquaman

hmmm, I haven't heard that until I started surfing this site... because my girlfriend used and is still using them in her tank that the coraline algae has spread like wildfire in her tank.

hmmm, I haven't heard that until I started surfing this site... because my girlfriend used and is still using them in her tank that the coraline algae has spread like wildfire in her tank.

Bio balls are not for the beginner. A lot of reefers will tell you to scrap them, not because they are bad, but because they induce a lot of extra maintenance. Bio balls are great at turning Amm into Nitrite and Nitrite into Nitrate...water changes remove the Nitrate...If you keep the balls clean, weekly stirring and making sure they do not collect debris they can be effective.

Most people just avoid them...

hxcaquaman

sctn4Elk thanks for the advice.

once I get a decent base of coraline I am going to remove them.

hxcaquaman

after having a long talk with a friend of mine from back home and recapping on our failed saltwater tanks

nano reefers I'm putting my tank in your hands.

tell me what to do, I don't want this tank to fail.

if it does I'm done with this hobby

tomorrow I'm removing the bio balls and will list all the chemicals and additives that I have at my disposal

first thing first, do I have to much in my tank to cycle? how often should I do water changes and test?

....help me make a sucess outta this 10 gallon box

i also downloaded reefcon 2000 to help me keep track of everything.

if there is a better program that is free let me know please

thanks for looking

Ian

1st i see no power heads in the tank. if the filter is the only water movement it isnt enough.

u say u have alot of chemicals at ur disposal. if u r not testing dont dose. with only a 10g tank weekly water changes with a good salt will be enough that u shouldnt need to dose.

why would u need to cycle if ur tank is set up and u have a fish in it?

oh yea :welcome:

hxcaquaman

well that damsel is a throw away, I plan on keeping a frog fish down the line

I know that using a damsel is a cruel way to cycle a tank because of its hardyness but to be perfectly honest I just don't like the lil guy.

the tank was literally set up over night, well in 4-5 hours.

my last tank crashed and just replaced the sand bed and LR and transfer over the survivors.

as for power heads I'm think of getting a wave maker kit, maybe next pay. any recommendations for wave maker kits? I know I'm looking at 300 bucks for a kit. any cheaper ones out there? / any favorites for regular power heads?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

any recommendations for a good test kit? I just realized that the kit I have expired.

i like the koralia power heads. they put out a nice wide flow. the nano or k1 would work good for you.

as for test kits i dont test to often :huh: i just keep up on my water changes and everything is doing fine. if u just need a kit for cycling look at the api kits.

johnmaloney

oh send it back to the lfs at least domino damsels rock. frogfish would be a little big and messy for that tank I think. bio balls don't really help build coralline, I don't really get the connection.

Don't waste your money on a wave maker, your tank is too small....just get a koralia nano and place it where you will get some opposing flow.

Start removing the bio balls now....a few a day until they are gone...don't remove them all at once or you risk a spike in Nitrate.

You can cycle your tank without fish...just a CUC works great.

I am no expert, but I set my tanks up like this:

Lay egg crate on bare glass bottom of tank.

Place LR

Add LS

Add mixed and tested RO/DI water set to SG 1.025 and PH 8.3

Add CUC at 1.5 per gallon..mix of hermits, Nass and Cerith

Set Lighting at 10 hours per day

Feed CUC pellets on 3 day intervals until algae appears then stop feeding.

Monitor Amm, Nit, Nat every day, watching for the Amm spike.

Once those 3 params return to 0, cycle is complete.

30 days after initial start perform 25% WC

1 month AFTER cycle you can begin adding coral

2 months AFTER cycle you can begin adding fish

10% WC weekly

Top off with RO/DI daily or every other day

Take all that with a grain of salt....just letting you know how I did mine.

hxcaquaman

my god was work terrible today, anyways....

I'm gonna remove 3 bio balls a day.

I don't know what to do with the damsel, he's been with me for a while.

the closest Fish shop is 30 miles away.

had a slight out break of brown algae I'm assuming its diatoms the CUC is taking care of it.

when I get paid I'm going to order 2 hydor nano powerheads and pick up a R/O kit. if only one will work I'll put the other in my girlfriends tank.

now should I stop the weekly water changes til august?

I don't know what to do with the damsel, he's been with me for a while.

the closest Fish shop is 30 miles away.

now should I stop the weekly water changes til august?

The damsel will probably be fine...a long time ago, back in the 80's, we used to cycle tanks with 3 damsels all the time...it was acceptable practice...now we use cuc so I am pretty sure the damsel will survive as he will gradually acclimate to the water conditions.

As far as the WC...I would stop and monitor water params daily...

hxcaquaman

unfortunately I only have quick strips to test with until I get paid.... can't wait til friday, then hydors, new test kit and r/o :D

• 2 weeks later...

well I ordered the hydors and they came in and they ended up being the wrong ones, they are the right size but they are the ones that only work with the wave maker kits and I don't have a wavemaker set up.... so I'm returning them.

But in other news... I usually drive 45 minutes to get supplies and coral frags.

and last night my girlfriend was looking on craigslist and found a guy that sells corals, live stock and supplies by appointment only and he met with my girl friend and I. NEEDLESS TO SAY his shop is AWESOME..

This guy knows his stuff, his corals are cheap and healthy and he sells premixed and tested r/o water.

I picked up a kenya tree, a toady and a red mushroom rock, I'll have some photos up tomorrow.

I'm not sure on the lights just yet, kinda low on funds... as for the FTS I'll have that up tomorrow, I'm beat from work and I'm thinkin about picking up some bulk rock and redoing my layout.

~ian

well yet another day of putting off the FTS, everything in my tank is ticked off except for the kenya tree, did some major changes to the tank. moved all the rocks around and all that good stuff. be on here tomorrow;

~Ian

I'm commenting on your tank! The pic with the 3 striped or "humbug" damsel next to the hermit crab looks soo much like a pic from my tank that I thought cyber space stole my pic! Too weird. 6 degrees of seperation.. that was weird! :wacko:

Archived