inTank Media Baskets

Big Frag Tub Plan

kgehrke

It's finally time to start this thread. I've been dreaming about it for months now, and I think it's almost time to execute. Pics of parts to follow as soon as they start coming in.

The overall theme is QUALITY and COST EFFECTIVENESS.

Here's The Initial Parts List:

Lighting:

250 watt Ice Cap ballast

LumenArc III Reflector

Hamilton 14000K Single Ended Bulb

Flow:

To start 2 1200 Maxi's with Sure Flow mods

Heat:

Hydor Theo 400 watt submersible

Cooling shouldn't be an issue, as it will be set up in a basement, in Iowa.

I plan on starting out without a fuge, but adding one within a month or two. I will have cheato in the fuge and eventually a skimmer. I am also going to put a remote deep sand bed on using a 5 gallon bucket and a maxi 1200.

I don't know what size tub I want to start out with yet. I have to do some shopping still. I might go anywhere from 80 to 150. We'll see. I have some cool tricks hidden up my sleeve still so stay tuned.

Let me know what you think!

There are a ridiculous amount of farm stores around here with endless tub options. I saw the exact ones you have, dtfleming, on Sunday, and I agree, they are nice. I might use one for my fuge. I'm looking to go bigger for my main tub.

I forgot to mention I already have the Ballast. I picked it up used like 3 months ago. I've had this idea in my head for a long time, haha.

Ordered the lumenarc today. The bulb is back ordered, but I found a place that has them for 59.99 plus shipping. Anyone know where you can get them cheaper?

Awesome. Thanks dt. I was going to buy it off of aquabuys, but it was back ordered. Just ordered it on hellolights. I think it was an even better deal.

Next week is going to be big.

Check out the new lighting supplies I got today!

Hamilton 250Watt 14000K Bulb

CIMG3156.jpg

This thing is way bigger than I thought it would be.

Lumen Arc III Reflector

CIMG3159.jpg

This still has the plastic on it, I'm gonna take it off right after I hang it.

I've had this for a while, but here's a pic for good measure.

250 Watt Ice Cap Ballast

CIMG3160.jpg

It looks like I only have a few things to attain before I can set this up.

Here's the rest of the list:

400watt heater

Rubbermaid Tub

2-modded maxi jets

Future Plans Include:

Plumbing in a 50gal+ fuge

Good skimmer

5gal rsdb

someday possibly- calcium reactor

Looks good, got my ballast and bulb today, Have my ato up and running on my tub. I will need a ca reactor down the road also. Im looking at the Korlain 1502 package.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I received my maxi mods and heater. RAGBRAI was in town so I got preoccupied. I'm currently renovating the basement, and the room that this tub is going to go in. I've only got a few more things to get before its ready to go.

RODI filter

Rubbermaid tub

possibly some dead rock (I have live rock to seed it already)

I've also been shopping for skimmers. I wish there was a list in order of how good they are by brand. I'm not sure which route I want to take yet. I've seen some people build there own with success, which seems like a cool idea, but it's still expensive. I'll figure it out sooner or later..

Nice reflector. My buddy uses one over his frag tank. Got his second hand but would have gladly paid full price now that he knows how good they are.

For skimmers, MRX has been getting a lot of buzz lately. That "other" place has a great thread on them.

I just looked into msx, and wow. I'm impressed. I think I'll end up shooting for the msx 200. I just need to raise $310, haha. It might be a few months, but I definitely want one.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I know it's been a little while, but the frag project is still very much alive.

Things finished:

Lighting is wired and working.

40 Gallon tub Purchased

Frag Room finished

Waiting on the room to be finished was the biggest part. We completely cleaned out an old room in the basement, repainted the walls, epoxied the floor, and ran electrical to it with GFCI. It is the bomb.

The light is very close to being hung.

Things I still need to do:

Buy RO-DI

Decide if I want a bigger main tank

Build stand (have the materials)

Plumbing (probably an all day project running back and forth to Lowes)

I'm still deciding on what I want to run as a return pump, I'm thinking a mag 9.5

Pictures soon.. Let me know what you think

I ordered my ocean wave plus ro-di system today. I got it from thefilterguys.com I've heard a lot of good things about this place, thought I'd try it. Other than that, I've still been busy working on this house. I've got the stand ready and am just waiting on some cash to come around to buy the pump and other tub. It's almost time for me to sell some more stuff just to get this thing running. I'm getting frustrated with the wait!

AcroporaLokani
I'm getting frustrated with the wait!

Well just look at it this way, the longer you wait the more you will love seeing all the frags you will produce :).

• 1 month later...

Big News! I picked up a 110 gallon tub this weekend. I've got everything I need. I'll be plumbing it all together this week. Right now everything is in the 40 gallon tub. I just got a powder blue tang for my birthday and he's awesome. I'm gonna have massive amounts of pics to post soon.

Congrats on the new tub! What was the design decision on the maximods over something like a koralia? Just to have easy replacements or b/c of cost?

Where's your basement in iowa? I'm in illinois now, but just moved from iowa.

I live in Ames. I went with the maxi mods because of both cost and curiosity. I already had 2 mj 900s on hand, so that helped sway me.

I'll have the plumbing completed tomorrow or Tuesday. I have all of the equipment, I just need to put it all together, and run to Lowe's for some adapters.

Here's a pic of the room right now.

CIMG3333.jpg

Next weekend I'm going to rehang the light so that it's closer to the water.

I wish i had a basement, they dont make those here in Az...

But dont tell my gf that or she'll have another argument to go to Missouri :P

Archived