Pod Your Reef

Finnex 30g M-tank w/ 250w MH

vg30et

Finnex 30 gallon glass M-Tank (Initial set-up 1/25/08)

Lighting

Finnex 250W Electronic Ballast

Phoenix 14K 250W DE MH Bulb

1x ATI Pro Color 24W T5

1x KZ Fiji Purple 24W T5

13W PC for fuge

4x LEDs for Moonlighting

Flow & Skimmer

475gph stock Finnex return pump

Vortech MP40w

Tunze Nano 9002

Misc

JBJ ATO

Ranco temp controller

100W Heater

120mm Antec 3 speed PC Fan

Coralife Dual timer

FTS_061508_800x600.jpg

ymilli_061508.jpg

gcap_061508.jpg

acan_051408.jpg

hoke_061508.jpg

Really nice colors! It will look great when the branching sps frags have grown larger.

Yep, most frags were ~1.5" when added to the tank and have been steadily growing. Some pieces are still a bit brown/pale but look to be coloring up so with a few more months of stability, I hope to see some decent growth and more vibrant colors.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on coloring up some of my drab corals and seem to be making some decent progress. Here are some comparison pics:

This is what happens when a ORA blue polyp digi is kept under PC lighting for 6 months:

digi_brown.jpg

The same frag after spending some time under 250W MH lighting:

digi_better.jpg

"Hot Pink" Stylo under 150W MH + 2x 24W Actinic T5's

poci_drab.jpg

Same frag under 250W MH + 1x ATI Pro Color, 1x KZ Fiji Purple 24W T5

poci_better.jpg

AdriftQuasar

Just goes to show how big of a difference lighting can make. Great tank! I think if I were to buy an AIO it would probably be a Finnex.

• 2 weeks later...
Just goes to show how big of a difference lighting can make. Great tank! I think if I were to buy an AIO it would probably be a Finnex.

I've been pretty happy with the Finnex so far. It's been quite painless to set up and with the exception of the Tunze skimmer and more flow, it's pretty much stock. To be honest, I was surprised to see better colors with the 250W MH. I thought 150W was more than sufficient for a 30 gallon.

Nice work with your tank so far. Love the acans in some of the pics. :)

Thanks Phixion, your amazing tank thread was what got me started on Finnex's in the first place.

Nice tank, Im ordering the same thing. Do you have any heat issues or is yours hanging?

I have the stock Finnex fixture that sites on top of the tank. The 250W fixture is hot but I am able to keep temps stable at 81F by using a PC fan to blow across the semi open top.

Wow the tank looks great, well done.

Thanks Ty. I got quite a few of these frags from local Houston reefers. Next time you're in town, you should see if you can pick up some nice pieces.

So I decided to snap a few pictures of the tank using a ghetto viewing box and my crappy point and shoot camera. Still trying to get some decent pics out of this cheap Canon. Hope they turn out ok:

Top Down yellow Acro

topdown_rodacro2_071408.jpg

Top down - Sunset Monti

topdown_supmonti2_071408.jpg

Top down shot of some corals - pink stylo in center

topdown_071408.jpg

Normal shot of the green monti w/ purple rim and white polyps

greenpurp_monti_071408.jpg

I'm really glad I could help inspire! B)

I'm really drooling over the lighting differance. I probably won't be upgrading to MH anytime soon on my Finnex tank, but I wouldn't mind a 6-bulb TEK or similar fixture either...

I'm really glad I could help inspire! B)

I'm really drooling over the lighting differance. I probably won't be upgrading to MH anytime soon on my Finnex tank, but I wouldn't mind a 6-bulb TEK or similar fixture either...

I think you should stick with the T5s - more color choices, no heat concerns and more distributed light output. If I had to do it over, I would've probably gone with the Aquactinics TX5 or a TEK T5 instead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated anything but not much to report. No major changes other than a few frag additions and a fourline wrasse. Good growth on some corals especially the pink poci, others have encrusted a lot but have not shown much vertical growth.

Some new shots:

poci_11232008.jpg

yelmilli_11232008.jpg

fts_11232008.jpg

the one you have labeled as a superman, i believe is a sunset monti

Ha, thanks! You're absolutely right, I have corrected that mistake - I always refer to it as a sunset, not sure why I wrote superman.

• 3 months later...

The past few months have been a battle against SPS pests. First it was annoying red bugs but that was easily fixed with 2 treatments of Interceptor. No losses besides a few hermit crabs.

Several months later, I noticed some corals lightening and upon closer inspection, found small round bite marks on several of my acros. It's been a nasty battle but a few more treatments should completely eliminate these things. Sadly there were some losses but it was only the acros that perished - montis and poci's were not affected one bit, nor were LPS or softies. Must have picked these up from some frags I introduced from fellow reefers without a thorough coral dip. I now have 2 bottles of revive, interceptor, iodine and fluke tabs for any future coral additions ... ;)

On the bright side, the pink stylo that I acquired back in 04/2008 continues to grow like a weed and the LPS still seem happy. Some growth pics below:

Stylo, 04/2008:

poci_drab.jpg

Stylo, 11 months later:

poci_03122009.jpg

Acan, 10/2007:

103007_acan.jpg

Acan, 15 months later:

acan_03122009.jpg

Archived