Innovative Marine Aquariums

Allen's RSM

daddyr1013

daddyr1013

Well I figured I would go ahead and get my thread started before I get too far behind. I am fairly new to the salt water hobby. My wife and I started with a 7g about 3 months ago and fell in love with the hobby. I can honestly say that StevieT's thread made my decision easy on what tank to purchase. So here we go.

l_16d62b4afdb00397b0238e765439063d.jpg

This was a joy to put together...

l_73da6c1811f00b11b1961737c6dfbf2a.jpg

2 hours later....

l_0e2e3fe543f2d26df74413d4cdf927cd.jpg

Failed 1st attempt at aquascaping

l_60f2430d1e04fa45925d4e039c2f37f0.jpg

2nd attempt

l_d8962dbff81dabfc233b72e682187a56.jpg

Final Scape and added CUC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmmm KFC!!!

Very nice, I like the finished aquascape. Enjoy the cycle.

I would sudgest putting the temp prope in the rear chambers to hide it in the future.

daddyr1013

Just some notes on the tank.

Everything is still stock.

Set tank up on may 9th.

Added Cuc on May 16th 5 blue, 5 red crabs, 25 assorted snails. (Only 3 turbos)

Added Test Blue and Green Chromis on May 19th

daddyr1013
mmmmm KFC!!!

Very nice, I like the finished aquascape. Enjoy the cycle.

I would sudgest putting the temp prope in the rear chambers to hide it in the future.

Man you are fast I was still typing and editing 2nd post. I will be picking your brain as my tank grows :)

I was just checking in after redesigning my media baskets for the RSM, so we got lucky.

Pick away, but I think you are moving just a bit fast. You should have left the tank to sit for 3 weeks or more with nothing in it. Now you will have to soft cycle the tank, or the best option is to get rid of the fish until you cycle.

daddyr1013
slow down a bit, that is fast to be adding CUC and then a fish.

Yeah the rock had been cycling for 2 months at the LFS and all tests came out good after 5 days. I am watching the lvls and I have a back up tank if I need to move the fish. He looks really happy in the new tank 5 times larger than his last home.

ok, just watch those levels. I would have still let the tank sit for a bit, even with fully curred rock. Just start to do weekly water changes and watch it close.

daddyr1013
I was just checking in after redesigning my media baskets for the RSM, so we got lucky.

Pick away, but I think you are moving just a bit fast. You should have left the tank to sit for 3 weeks or more with nothing in it. Now you will have to soft cycle the tank, or the best option is to get rid of the fish until you cycle.

Yeah I only added him because the amonia was rising in my 7g and my wife would kill me if I let something happen to her little Nemo fish "Wobbles"

daddyr1013

Well its been 2 weeks and the lvl's have been stable for 7 days. I think today I may go to the LFS and pick up a few more snails and a frog spawn. The one I have been looking at has 3 heads, should i get them to just frag 1 off for me or take all 3? I am going to put it in the front right corner so it has plenty of room.

daddyr1013

Help!!! My aquarium has turned nuclear green....

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite -0

Nitrate - 0

PH - 8.4

KH - 10

Calcium - 400

Phosphate - 0

My tank is a little over 2 weeks old. Is this normal? All that is in the tank is the CUC and 1 blue green chromis. Also my tank is on a 12/12 lighting cycle.

l_7e1fa1066872dc4d67f1e7e8a7244bf4.jpg

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Help!!! My aquarium has turned nuclear green....

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite -0

Nitrate - 0

PH - 8.4

KH - 10

Calcium - 400

Phosphate - 0

My tank is a little over 2 weeks old. Is this normal? All that is in the tank is the CUC and 1 blue green chromis. Also my tank is on a 12/12 lighting cycle.

<green picture>

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Allen,

I'm not sure that algae is out of hand. It may be unsightly but isn't necessarily unhealthy. And it is a normal part of a cycle. Ours is heading that way and we plan to start adding CUC a little at a time. We have 1 Cerith and 1 Astrea snail that hitched on our rock. They're a lot more active now that they have something to eat. We also have one Asterina star that is no longer trying to escape (or it succeeded. ;) )

Levels of phosphate and nitrate that these test kits won't detect are sufficient to grow algae.

Are you using RO/DI water? Some (most? all?) municipal water supplies add phosphates to inhibit corrosion.

You could try backing the lighting off to 10/14.

HTH,

hank

fattynatty

Thanks for the replies guys. I add only ro water from the lfs to top off. Does this mean I am close to the end of the cycle?

daddyr1013

^^ My wifes account she is going to set up a page for her 7g nano. Thanks for the advise. I added 2 cleaner shrimps and a few more snails and 1 more crab tonight. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for the replies guys. I add only ro water from the lfs to top off. Does this mean I am close to the end of the cycle?

Think of the cycle as waster producers coming into balance with the bacteria that break down waste. When nitrites and ammonia drop to zero, they are starting to get going. Later on - months? - bacteria that break down nitrates will also start to work.

At first the balance can be precarious but will become more resilient with time. Nevertheless, if something upsets the balance, it can take time to restabilize. Things that upset it include the addition of live stock or death and decay of anything. Even changing feeding habits can upset things a little but (or a lot if uneaten food remains.)

The cycle never really completes but initial balance has been established. Proceed with caution so as not to upset it too much.

HTH,

hank

daddyr1013

Yeah I learn a little more everyday. How is your tank coming along? I've been so busy I have not had a chance to browse the site much the last few days.

noobofreefs

Well that's kind of the point of the back of the tank, but adding a sump would definitely give you more water volume and space for a bigger skimmer, fuge, and more filtration. But yeah technically the point of an AIO is so all your filtration is done in the tank, but I'm sure it would be cool to see a sump added.

Yeah I learn a little more everyday. How is your tank coming along? I've been so busy I have not had a chance to browse the site much the last few days.

I just found this today - it explains why we get algae blooms during the cycle:

http://www.asira.org/bacteriaandalgaeincycling

Our tank is doing well. We have a nice crop of algae going too. ;) We plan to upgrade our CUC tomorrow or this weekend to help deal with it, but to some extent it will just run its course.

thanks,

hank

daddyr1013

Went to the LFS after work yesterday and got a few things.

l_cc8d643da66aaddee649355ee68df305.jpg

Hammer

l_8edc5066d72b72735b5886ed9c506232.jpg

Blue pulsing Xenia

l_0f0716daa43fb04ee211aa77df4b062f.jpg

Green Zoanthids

l_fdca238224a4502bad8ced15ec6b30a3.jpg

Frog Spawn

l_dd911732422ebbd69b6ec65332bda506.jpg

Crocea Clam

l_ecbdc0a17d23a784c9744da5f3bfb0cc.jpg

Pajama Cardinal (PJ)

daddyr1013

I have a quick question? Has anyone else heard that crabs will eat on the clam mantle? I read that somewhere today and now I am paranoid.

Archived