inTank Media Baskets

ADA are NOT tempered

fw2sw-wannabe

fw2sw-wannabe

So, I just bought an 18" ADA cube. The store just sent me a reply e-mail saying that the tank bottom is NOT tempered, but that they have never drilled them and therefore don't recommend it.

Has anyone here drilled one of these tanks? The frameless construction and slick silicone job makes me wonder if drilling would just make the tank that much more of a ticking timebomb. The glass thickness is 6 mm... just under 1/4". That's thicker than some of the drilled 10 gallons around here, right?

Discuss...

eklikewhoa

I have seen some people do it but the guys at ADG which distribute for the US advises not to.

fw2sw-wannabe
I have seen some people do it but the guys at ADG which distribute for the US advises not to.

do these people have threads we can see? I'm curious... (need courage from others' success)

Matty1124

i have never seen a person drill an ADA cube them self... however i have seen online vendors sell them drilled with built in over flows...

EDIT: its on their site heres the Link

No manufacturer advises you to drill thier glass tanks. All-glass provides the same suggestion... how many drilled AGA tanks have you seen?

fw2sw-wannabe
mine is drilled. completely safe to do

who drilled it? I know there are some predrilled ADA's... reef-ready, so to speak. They even make a sump! I'm sure it costs a fortune, though.

another member on this board took a dremel to it for me. i paid him some 20 bucks and he drilled my two holes.

that

sounds

so

kinky

er1c_the_reefer
another member on this board took a dremel to it for me. i paid him some 20 bucks and he drilled my two holes.

that

sounds

so

kinky

and i watched. now that's kinky. :o

THE_REEF_ORACLE

Saltychild74 on RC has done it - here is the link to his photobucket page...go all the way to the end and you'll see his beginning pictures that show the 2 drilled holes on his ADA 40 gallon

Drilled ADA

He was told that the bottom glass is not tempered...I think i'm getting enough nerve up to try it myself.

Left Coast DJ

that

sounds

so

kinky

I wanted to watch Nips get drilled and maybe even tape it. But I had to go home early that day.

fw2sw-wannabe

Finally... the reply from ADA in Japan:

I received your e-mail.

But our 45C tank is not tempered glass, and not designed to be modified.

Even for the hanging of the external overflow, our tank is produced, considering such use.

So we cannot be responsible for integrity with hanging overflow.

Best regards,

Nozomi Hayakawa

Aqua Design Amano Co., Ltd.

My original message:

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently purchased an ADA 45-c cube garden aquarium. I have a question about drilling. Is the glass in the 45-c tempered? If not, could the aquarium be safely drilled? Back glass or bottom glass?

If the aquarium cannot be drilled, could I hang an external overflow on the back without causing any separation of the seams? I am setting up a reef aquarium, and need to be able to connect a refugium. I currently have a 2.5 gallon hang-on-back CPR refugium, but I am thinking that may be too much to hang on the glass. I guess I am worried about the structural integrity of a frameless tank.

Any help/advice you could provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Archived