SaltCritters.com

For Sale - Rare Atlantic SPS

Seanfg89

I have for sale one mini-colony of Oculina Varicosa coral and one mini-colony of Tube Coral. These corals are from the Atlantic so normally they are completely illegal to collect for the hobby and they both originated from Florida waters which makes them even more illegal to collect. However, since they managed to settle in off-shore mariculture facilities they are exempt from collection laws. Most likely the larvae of these particular corals was carried by a current to the mariculture facilities where they settled on some of the live rock being farmed.

Oculina is especially hard to come by considering I've never seen nor heard about it until I received it and due to the fact much of the Oculina reefs have been destroyed by commercial fishing. Most Oculina coral is non-photosynthetic but the specimen I am offering is completely photosynthetic (still, it has no objections to feedings).

I am willing to ship but the buyer will be responsible for the shipping costs, USPS Overnight Express usually costs no more than $30.

The Oculina coral is $50 and the Tube coral is $35, buy both and you can have them for $100 shipped. I will also include a zoa frag or two if the buyer wishes.

Yes sir... I knew I forgot something.

Here are some old pictures, I hope to have some new ones very soon that show the entire colonies. For a rough size estimate, the Oculina is roughly the size of a baseball and the Tube coral is roughly the size of a few matchboxes stacked on top of eachother.

P1100008.jpg

P3050009.jpg

(The Oculina is on the left and the Tube is top right, this is a NC6 btw for size judgement.)

P4150003-1.jpg

A couple other notes, Oculina isn't the toughest coral when it comes to dealing with things like stings and tissue damage, it does however recover like no coral I have ever seen before. It takes just days for polyps to regrow where they were lost and for the tissue to recover. Also, at the very corners/crevices where the branches come out of the main stalk, it is not unusal for the polyps there to die and never recover, it is just a thing with Oculina coral. The Tube coral constantly regrows new polyps over dead skeleton and is very tough compared to the Oculina coral. I can safely say that given adequate water quality and such, these corals will do just fine in a beginner's or advanced aquarists tank.

I see no reason why they would not, I have shipped multiple times in the past and had 100% success. I would opt against a heat pack though in this case since its getting pretty warm again here in Florida.

Pending sale, items on hold.

Six, thanks for the kind words, they are very interesting corals and they're story makes them just that much more interesting but unfortunately, they just aren't fitting in with the direction my tank is going these days.

Hey man....it's pretty neat to see those items doing so well.....they both REALLY grew, huh....that is a really sweet tank BTW....

Mitch

Archived