Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

This is how the world famous media rack started:

StevieT's Media Rack

I would like to thank adamskit for all his guidenance and pictures that aided me in construction of this project! B)

So, we have all figured out the the stock simmer is a piece of garbage that should be sent back to Red Sea for credit. We also know that the Tunze 9002 is a superior skimmer that will fit perfectly in the rear chambers with a few simple mods and NO cutting of the hood!!! :happydance:

So now what, you have a bunch of room and you want to utilize it to the fullest. I chose to go with a media rack instead of a fuge, reason, because you want to keep a sponge bellow the intake grate and catch any detritus that will enter that tank. If you were to make a fuge, any junk getting sucked in would break down in the rear chambers.

First off, here is my chamber. It is a great idea before installing the media rack to clean out all this junk that has collected over time.

IMG_3882.jpg

Supplies:

I went with .220" acrylic. It is strong and can cut very easily with a miter and skil saw

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

Tools Used:

Miter Saw

Cordless Skil saw

Drill Press

Hole saw

Bench Grinder

Sand Paper

Snips for cutting egg crate

Irwin Clamps

Razor blade

3M plastic epoxy

Tape Measure

Custom wood and plastic guides

XM radio for some beats while working

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

Cutting the pieces used to build the rack:

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

I used the miter saw as much as possible because it cuts very straight with its laser guide. But there were times where the skil saw was needed since I do not have an extending arm on the miter saw. I used the bench grinder to clean up edges if needed.

Cutting A hole in two of the cross pieces:

As you can see i used a custom block hold to keep the acrylic in place

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Clamping for Glue:

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

used a piece of MDF board to keep everything square

IMG_3899.jpg

Glue:

used a 2 part plastic epoxy, 4 min work time, 20 min dry time

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

***** Hit My Photo Limit, Will Post More in Due Time *****

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you !!! I needed a bump to post more B)

Cross Braces:

Made these two thick, they hold the egg crate to rest media/sponges on

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

Egg crate being cut:

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

Finishing Up:

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3918.jpg

Installed:

IMG_3929.jpg

I will get some better pictures of this later on

Here is how I have everything situated

Floss

Sponge

Purigen

Chemi Pure

Overall this was a pretty fun and "easy" build, that is if you have the tools, it isn't so bad. It is working perfectly with no flow or microbubble issues. It has given me the organization and ease of access we have all wanted since we found out that carbon goes in the "chamber of death!!"

enjoy :happydance:

Stevie...looks great! It looks like the very bottom plate with a hole in it sits right on the bottom. Did you cut any holes in the side plexi for flow to get out? It looks like you're forcing the water down the column, but doesn't look like the water has anywhere to go when it gets to the bottom. Just curious. Thanks!

StevieT,

Looks great! I couldn't have done a better job if I had done it myself. You got mad skills! :D Of course you did a much better project "play by play" than I did. I think you are really going to enjoy this mod... I know I have. Congrats again. I still have to post photos of my latest Oceans Motions Mod. I am getting a new camera this week so there is more fun coming.

Stevie...looks great! It looks like the very bottom plate with a hole in it sits right on the bottom. Did you cut any holes in the side plexi for flow to get out? It looks like you're forcing the water down the column, but doesn't look like the water has anywhere to go when it gets to the bottom. Just curious. Thanks!

Everyone asks that same question with this mod because it's hard to tell from the photos that the media rack actually sits about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the rear chamber. Open the electrical panel on your RSM and you will see a horizontal piece of glass at the bottom that the media rack sits on. This allows water to flow out the bottom and towards the skimmer.

As adam (tony) said, the RSM comes with a nice strip of glass on both sides at the bottom for this rack to sits on. It allows the water to pass through from the rack to the Tunze skimmer. The reason it was there is because the sock skimmer rested on top of it. It worked out perfect for us!

Hollow-

Thank you. It took around 3-4 hours total. But there were 20 min dry times in there and PM answering on Nano-reef B) . I also cleaned out my rear chambers and had to make custom mounts and brackets for drilling and gluing.

I could do another one in 1.5-2hrs total of working and drying time. If anyone needs one for their RSM, I am sure we could work something out.

the eggcrate that was resting on the very bottom shelf, the one that housed the chemi pure, has floated up and rested on the side. You can actually see it in the picture. I don't think there is any reason to fix this, it really doesn't do anything and the only reason I put it down there was because I made so many squares.

StevieT,

Definately critical to "clean out your rear chamber" before you attempt this build... I mean we are talking about several hours of work. :lol: I know bad joke but I had to go there.....

haha, that thing was so dirty, I couldnt' believe it. I took 4 gallons of water and junk out, but it did the trick!

I can imagine. I just removed the floss since it was full of junk from the cleaning and water change. It was cutting back flow just a smidge that it was messing with my ato. I am impressed with the tight fit I acheived. All the water is forced down through the media, none is leaking into the skimmer chamber.

New and Improved designs for purchase:

New 45* braces on all pieces with flow holes:

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

Plastic welder now used with old epoxy:

IMG_3988.jpg

Routed groves for a tight fit, easy to build as well:

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

Ready to ship:

IMG_3982.jpg

New and Improved designs for purchase:

Ready to ship:

IMG_3982.jpg

Looks awesome ... I can't wait to get mine ... :)

I think you told me this already, but I just wanted to clarify. If I wanted to do the following: chaeto, filter pads, chemi-pure. Would you recommend I insert them in the following way

1) Chemi-pure between the two drilled holes

2) Egg crate + chaeto and light

3) egg crate + 2 x filter pad on top

masterbuilder

StevieT,

Nice....very nice indeed. I am also diggin the RSM master thread you have going, a labor of love and information to even those of us that dont have a RSM. Thanks an keep it up.

Dont be a fool you RSMer's .... get one (or two) of these.

OK....enough sucking up and ass kissing....

Why do you keep that nasty sponge in there when the THROW AWAY FLOSS serves the same function. I dont care how well you rinse the sponge, it still full of nasty junk. Floss Good.... Sponge Baaaaad.

Mark

I can imagine. I just removed the floss since it was full of junk from the cleaning and water change. It was cutting back flow just a smidge that it was messing with my ato. I am impressed with the tight fit I acheived. All the water is forced down through the media, none is leaking into the skimmer chamber.

Instead of filter floss, have you tried the blue/white filter pads?

e.g. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categ...7475_12744Z.jpg

Right now, I use 2 x filter pads or sometimes 1 filter pad + 1 filter floss (fist size) ...

I think the 2 x filter pads might work pretty well ...

Instead of filter floss, have you tried the blue/white filter pads?

e.g. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categ...7475_12744Z.jpg

Right now, I use 2 x filter pads or sometimes 1 filter pad + 1 filter floss (fist size) ...

I think the 2 x filter pads might work pretty well ...

aaa polly filter... yes I have tried it, it works well, but i have the floss in stock at this time.

On to your chaeto question.... you could run cheato in the top chamber of my rack and install a light in the lid above it. Then run floss under that. Or I suppose you could get a small led light that can go under water and run cheato in one of the lower chambers. your choice. so far, i do not run chaeto, nitrates are always at 0 so i don't feel the need at this time.

StevieT,

Nice....very nice indeed. I am also diggin the RSM master thread you have going, a labor of love and information to even those of us that dont have a RSM. Thanks an keep it up.

Dont be a fool you RSMer's .... get one (or two) of these.

OK....enough sucking up and ass kissing....

Why do you keep that nasty sponge in there when the THROW AWAY FLOSS serves the same function. I dont care how well you rinse the sponge, it still full of nasty junk. Floss Good.... Sponge Baaaaad.

Mark

nice mark!!! everone get 2 ! haha.

right, i could run the floss instead of the sponge. But it cloggs up faster and messes with my water levels and my ATO. I suppose I could just change it more often but I do not run floss all the time.

I have two sponges. I run one during the week, take it out, rinse, then replace it with the spare. Let the one that was in my tank sit out an air dry and it seems to kill any junk that has gotten clogged up druing it's week of use.

So far, 0 nitrates. If I saw an issue I would go the floss only route, unless you feel the sponge is a huge waste of time....

in the picture you have looking down on the media rack, it looks like the water is bubbling and it is brown. What is that?

no, just one bag of chemi pure elite, the elite is larger than the standard chemi pure. on top of that is purigen.

The brown that you see is clogged up filter floss. I took the picture shortly after cleaning the rear chambers and that is all the junk it picked up out of the water!

it would look white if it was fresh floss.

Archived