SaltCritters.com

Christel's 60 Gal Acrylic Hex!

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

So I have always kept nano tank for reefs, but I have owned larger fish only systems.

Well, I had this fall into my lap for FREE!!!!!!......This tank was on consignment at the LFS I work at. It was priced at $500, but no one had bought it and we needed the room in the shop. I call the customer to tell him to come get the tank. He says to me "Well, I dont live around here anymore, I was hoping you guys were gonna mail me a check......I tell you what, do YOU want it"....I couldn't say yes fast enough!!!!

So, it looks like I will be setting this up really soon! It has a really nice black acrylic stand, a black acrylic hood, although I may replace it with a black wooden hood to accomodate the halide.The only thing I dont like is the background is blue acrylic, not black, but for free I can deal with it!

I am going to make my own custom flow, the tank still needs to be drilled.

For equipment, I am going to light it with a 250w MH with a 14k phoenix. It also came with a hamilton 2x 65 retro kit already in the hood, so I will be using this too. I am going to probably skim the tank with a G3 skimmer if I can get it to fit. I have to fit the skimmer into a 10 or 15 gallon sump.....Any of you big reef people have any recommendations for a skimmer that would fit in that size tank please speak up, I am open to any options. For the return pump, I have a quiet one external pump that I dont know how many GPH it is, but I am sure it will be enough for this tank, and it will be hooked up to a SCWD. I will also be running a closed loop with a rio 2100.

DSC01430.JPG

DSC014321.JPG

Inside of the stand.

DSC014311.JPG

Here is the pump I plan to use as a return. Its on the left.

IMG_5475.JPG

Any ideas on GPH?

IMG_5479.JPG

I cant wait for this to be set up! It is going to be a SPS dominant system!!!!

-Christel

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reef Chicks

Free was good though! Congrats! I think it may be a TruVue. I have the pico version, a 3.5 gallon and love it! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it. My hubby has been driving me crazy for a bigger hex.

at 0ft of head, that pump will run close to 16-17 gpm. thats a hydronic pump. i dont kow what kinda flow your lookin for. but i install them at work on boilers, and they are strong pumps. that little guy will prob push close to 900gph once you put through whatever filtration your gonna use.

SeeDemTails

Yeah, I know, it was on consignment, thats why it didnt sell.

I cant wait to get it going.

What's your budget for a skimmer and what are your plans for stocking?

This ought to turn out really nice :D That's a perfect light for that tank.

SeeDemTails
What's your budget for a skimmer and what are your plans for stocking?

Skimmer budget is $400 tops, preferably lower.

I am going to put the sailfin tang I already have, and probably my pair of black occe's. I might leave those in the 37 gallon and get a pair of pink skunks instead. Im not sure.

I will also have a small group of 3 or so bartletts, I have always wanted anthias!

I have also been thinking about a red coris wrasse, but I have to do more research.

Probably 7-10 fish.

BeesGoneWild

Very cool. i would love that for a seahorse tank, take a look at the bermuda aquatics 3c for a skimmer, it should fit in a ten gallon sump.

SeeDemTails

Thanks, I will check it out.

I have been nanoing so long I am out of the loop on the bigger stuff!

Now that tank is nice and has lots of potential.....Look into the octopus skimmers....they arent very expensive and work really well

SeeDemTails

I will have to check them out.

I have heard a lot of mixed things about those rainbow pumps, like they shut off randomly. Any opinions on that pump?

• 2 weeks later...
SeeDemTails

Got some new stuff for the 60 gal, a skimmer until I get a better one, and a Mag Drive 1200 for the return, instead of the quiet one.

Skimmer for $7!

DSC01484.JPG

Mag Drive for $10!

DSC01486.JPG

This as an sps setup is not going to work very well the things are goin.

First of all that skimmer is 7 bones for a reason. Look at the neck diameter. Garbage.

Rio pumps. Trash.

SCWD. Junk. Why restrict flow?

Don't skimp on the good stuff. You need very reliable, quiet pumps, that put out. Rio meets only one of those requirements.

Skimmers are not all created equal. This area more then others I find you get what you pay for. Just pick up a used 9005 or mc500, or an octo, are any number of decent skimmers.

SeeDemTails

I have plans on getting a g2 or octopus actually, I just wasnt going to pass this skimmer up for $7. Would you?

I have a successful SPS tank now, I know what it takes to keep one, and after second thoughts I did away with most of the cheaper equipment.

The rio and the quiet one are both gone from the plans, replaced by the Mag Drive 12. Im sure it will do just fine for an SPS system as the return pump, especially for a 60 gallon.

I may use the rio to power that skimmer temporarily, until I get the g2 or octo. I wont be adding any corals until the better skimmer is in the tank, but I see no reason not to use the cheapo sea life when the system is cycling and the rock is curing.

Also, I am no longer using a scwd, I changed my mind and will be using two modded maxi jet 900's. Modded MJ's are bad to the bone, we switched all our larger pumps in the shop to modded MJ 1200s, unbelieveable how much flow those things can produce, and it is nice and soft.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

LOL yeah, it is a built in grill. We dont use it. We have a nice one on the outside porch. This pic was taken after we took the tank out of the truck in our inside porch or "florida room" as they are known around here.

As for the astro turf, we need to rip it up and put down tile. One of many projects to come. owning a house sure is fun!

The tank is inside the house now in our dining room, and is soon to be filled with water. I honestly bit off more than I could chew, and I really could only spend money on the 37 to get it how I wanted. Now that it is basically growing out, I am gonna start concentrating on this tank and the 5.5.

I am going to go light on the rock, but make a big stack of LR in the middle supported by pvc pipe.

I got the idea from the "piles" that Pieter van Suijlekom has in his 1500g February 2006 RC TOTM....like this one in the pic:

Piles

A few big branch sps on top like a. mille's or a. stags and the bottom, I dunno zoas or maybe a RBTA.

Here is a pic of the tank in its final home, the corner in our dining room:

DSC01884.JPG

I am gonna fill it up and start it cycling in the next couple weeks hopefully.

Archived