Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chiller Alternative

cfeist

This looks like a great alternative to a chiller for open top tanks but what about a 12g Nano.

If I don't want to buy a chiller and don't want to do extensive mods to my hood what would anyone suggest?

I'd really like to know the answer to this too!! I have a 28 gal nano cube....maybe someone has some pics or suggestions on how it's installed on their tanks?

id be interested in a 4fan model if they have one

if not theres a few on ebay that look pretty nice, its just a lot more money than i want to spend on fans

How much of a drop in temp will the fans do for you guys?

I have an open top 30g sumped and went with the 2fan but not sure if it will bring it down enough....my tank is hitting 85f after the lights are on all day. Got the fan in yesterday but it was shattered so I am waiting on a replacement but if it won't bring it down enough I might get a TEC chiller as well.

I'm part of the $5 walmart fan gorup. I have two of them retro'd into my canopy that houses a 250w mh and 2x24w T-5's. The mh is only about 6"-7" off the water and my temp has never been over 80.7 (I have my heater set at 80). Not bad for $10.

Maybe I will try running two of these 2fan units(not enough room for the 4fan) in seperate areas.

I am running a 250w MH with 4T5's which is about 5-6" above my water surface as well and with no cooling aid it reached 85-86f.

How much of a drop in temp will the fans do for you guys?

I have an open top 30g sumped and went with the 2fan but not sure if it will bring it down enough....my tank is hitting 85f after the lights are on all day. Got the fan in yesterday but it was shattered so I am waiting on a replacement but if it won't bring it down enough I might get a TEC chiller as well.

I have a 24g which is a bit smaller obviously, but the 2fan unit maintains a stable temp all day with the 150w halide on. My tank reached 84 without the fans on a warmer day, not the hottest btw, so I needed something quick. The fans maintain the temp at 80 all day long, so far so good, even last weekend when temps were like they will be in the summer.

How are all of you guys positioning your fans? What angle and which direction?

I don't think it matters too much, but I have them slightly angled down towards the surface of the water, probably like a 20-30deg angle, blowing air towards the lights/water surface.

I think I might get two just in case....one to blow across the water surface between the lights and the tank and the other to point into the sump.

Thanks for the replies!

InTr4nceWeTrust

Cool, thanks. Trying to get all the details worked out before I order one and before I start cutting up my canopy to fit it in.

Finally hooked mine up, had to cut it to fit the back of the AP24 but so far I'm very happy with it. Will see how it works on Tuesday when we're supposed to hit 97 here in Tucson.

I do need to re adjust my heater or swap it out (100w right now) but was impressed on how much it dropped the temp in a minimal amount of time. I've got it hooked to my light timer and I will probably toy around with the angle but it beat the cost of a chiller. Yes it is a bit noisy, but nothing I can't live with, in a few days I'm sure I will tune it out like I've tuned out the sound of my 80g that is running low on water.

Next project, getting the ATO.

I have a single Aqua-Tek fan over my new tank, It's keeping it very cool during these recent HOT So. Cali days. I have the Jebo twin fan pretty much like the AT fan in your pic in the original post, over my 30g, and it's only good until about 85F ambient temp in which it becomes virtually non-efficient and won't provide cooling any longer. Even with the fan over my return chamber the fan won't chill enough to prevent my chiller from coming on, once my apartment reaches 85F... :( But lower ambient temps than that and these fans are a Godsend!

Used the single Azoo dual fan over my sump and it's keeping my tank at 82f.....A lot better then when I test ran it up to about 88f.

I have a bag of pc fans I will be setting up soon to run between the lights and water surface and ordered my RK2 to help regulate it so all should be good!

• 2 months later...
CrazyAboutRiccia

I give thumbs up for my Aquatek fans! I've purchased several of them over the years and each have worked wonders. Last week, the latest purchase just arrived and the 2-fan and 4-fan models are now bigger, more powerful and even quieter than the ones before. The individual fans pictured posted by "cfeist" measures 2.5 inches in diameter. The NEW model, the individual fans measures 4 inches in diameter!!! SAME Price as before. WHAT A DEAL!!!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaqua_eworld

When using these fans, the water will evaporate much faster... so make sure to top off often.

post-37662-1215416985_thumb.jpg

I give thumbs up for my Aquatek fans! I've purchased several of them over the years and each have worked wonders. Last week, the latest purchase just arrived and the 2-fan and 4-fan models are now bigger, more powerful and even quieter than the ones before. The individual fans pictured posted by "cfeist" measures 2.5 inches in diameter. The NEW model, the individual fans measures 4 inches in diameter!!! SAME Price as before. WHAT A DEAL!!!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaqua_eworld

When using these fans, the water will evaporate much faster... so make sure to top off often.

I've been looking at thsoe fans. How long do you run the fans each day?

How much clearance do you need to the top of the fan?

My light fixture runs the lenght of my tank and is still on mounting legs, so I opnly havea bout 4" of clearance to the bottom of the fixture as you can see below. I'm still waiting for my nephew to help me hang this thing.

post-37696-1215666105_thumb.jpg

CrazyAboutRiccia
I've been looking at thsoe fans. How long do you run the fans each day?

How much clearance do you need to the top of the fan?

My light fixture runs the lenght of my tank and is still on mounting legs, so I opnly havea bout 4" of clearance to the bottom of the fixture as you can see below. I'm still waiting for my nephew to help me hang this thing.

I've bought several of the Aquatek fans... the oldest one is still running strong almost 2 years after I first installed it. (i hook each of the fans to a timer... running about 4 hrs straight each time)

If you set up the fan standing straight up, then, it's 5.5 inches in height. But I have my fans tilted at an angle, so the height measure just over 4 inches. (see picture) so, I think you can angle it even more to fit in the 4" gap you have.

post-37662-1215748570_thumb.jpg

I've bought several of the Aquatek fans... the oldest one is still running strong almost 2 years after I first installed it. (i hook each of the fans to a timer... running about 4 hrs straight each time)

If you set up the fan standing straight up, then, it's 5.5 inches in height. But I have my fans tilted at an angle, so the height measure just over 4 inches. (see picture) so, I think you can angle it even more to fit in the 4" gap you have.

Thank you. That is the type of information I was looking for. I'm glad to hear you've had onve working that long. I was thinking of getting two of the 6-fan units. My tank is 6' long. I would like to put them on the back facing front, but as long as the fixture is sitting on the tank I would have to point them up to get clearance. I see you have yours pointing down. Will they point up a few degrees (like 20)?

CrazyAboutRiccia
Thank you. That is the type of information I was looking for. I'm glad to hear you've had onve working that long. I was thinking of getting two of the 6-fan units. My tank is 6' long. I would like to put them on the back facing front, but as long as the fixture is sitting on the tank I would have to point them up to get clearance. I see you have yours pointing down. Will they point up a few degrees (like 20)?

You can switch the direction of airflow depending on your tank set up. I had to do that for one of my friend's tank cuz it was leaned against a back wall.

Assuming that you want to tilt the fan in the other direction (say "up" in your case), you just have to swap the mounting bracket from left to right and vice versa. Don't worry, this is very easy... each of the mounting bracket is secured with a single screw, so all you need is a screw driver.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, now I can use the air conditioner less and wife and kids can take off the sweaters they wear indoors in s.Florida.

Archived