Coral Vue Hydros

AirAngel's 24g AquaPod Adventure

airangel

Welcome to my tank thread. This is my second attempt with a nano tank (first was a jbj 12g orig nano cube...which is now a fw planted tank housing platies & neons). I've been a fw nut all my life but loved the look of a marine tank. To me they were too spendy to stock and too problematic to maintain, so I thought if i was going to give it a shot, I'd aim for an AIO tank.

I found the AP24 on eBay while looking to buy jbj bulb for freshwater (my plants were not enjoying the 50/50 bulb one bit), I wasn't really looking for another tank but the listing was local and was cheap. I placed a bid and figured I'd be outbid as the thing sounded too good to be true for a starting bid of $99.

Current USA 24 Gallon AQUAPOD with 2x32 Power Compact Lighting and Lunar LED's. It has 20-25 lbs of live rock, lots of pink and purple coralline algae. It comes with a Current USA Nano Fission Protein Skimmer (new in box, never set up), wood stand measures: 19.75" W x 17" D x 38" H , heater, 4 test kits, spare powerhead, spare pump, bucket, few jars of buffer/kalk/phosphate stuff and whatver else he'd scrounge up when picked up. Ad said tank in excellent condition. I took it home for $102.59 Pic as listed on eBay-horrid eh? aquapod1.jpg

Sold the skimmer gizmo on eBay (which dropped the bid cost I paid further). Realized the hood was not in excellent condition at all. No fan, incorrect bulbs and when orig owner changed them, he didn't install correctly, they fell out and fried the splash guard. I lucked out again as I had a Craigslist posting to sell my 55g set up (I got an 80g instead, again a fw tank) and the interested buyer (didn't buy it by the way) had 2 AP24s and wanted a stock hood....get this, swapped me my damaged stock hood for a 70w MH Sunpod with dead bulb.

Day one...set up 1/26/2008 (NOTE: Tank was set up and running for 8 months. I've added some new cured LR but the original rock and sandbed was kept wet while moving, so tank is technically older than the set up date shows. But for my purposes....)

AP24-full.jpg

Tank specs:

24g AP

way too tall stand (38 inches) came with the tank

70w Sunpod w/PowerPaq HQI Metal Halide Double End 14,000K Current bulb

Koalia Nano powerhead

MJ 1200 to replace dying stock pump

100w visi therm heater next to pump

CPR In Tank fuge (small) with cheato and some sand & rubble

Solana skimmer wedged like a wetsuit in back chamber

Tuft of Wal*mart's pillow stuffing (replaced weekly), bag of Purigen & bag of ChemiPure in back chamber

Dual fan (AquaTek) got off eBay

Timer for MH (8 hrs daily) and the above fan

Livestock/Inverts:

1 red legged hermit crab

5 blue legged hermit crabs(give or take)

1 turbo snail

2 nassarius snails

3 astrea snails

(could be more and I could have missed something)

Bristleworms

2 YCG (tiny lil guys too)

UPDATE: Corals added in April

Zoanthids (have total of 8 different colonies)

Kenya tree

GSP

Mushrooms (green, brown)

Xenia (pulsing)

Anthellia

Toadstool

Ricordia

Frogspawn

I added some smaller pieces of LR at the get go as original owner had huge chunks of the stuff and there was no way to build on it-

so have no clue presently how many pounds of LR I've got right now. His had purple coraline on it and my pieces have some funky flat green stuff on it. Can it be green coraline?

Few aiptasia I've been combating with I think its Aiptasia control, from orig owner who used declorinated tap water. I'm buying my water at the LFS (both RO/Di and salted).

DSC00017.jpg Early March FTS

Tank plans & Goals:

I'm trying to do 5g water changes on Fridays

I'd like to add another fish in a few months, suggestions please. I'd like small but a fish that isnt' going to spend all its time hiding in my rockwork.

Down the road I'm also hoping to find some asterina stars, micro brittle stars and spaghetti worms (anyone have an established tank loaded with these guys willing to ship some to Az?).

Some more pics :

Solana Skimmer (thanks SBcaes & EZ)

Side view before new macro added to fuge (update april, removed caulerpa)

2 YCG (they are not this washed out, nor is AP backing blue)

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00020-1.jpg

gobies.jpg

Thanks for looking and before I sign off this introduction posting I'd like to thank (too many to name) the folks who've helped me get this project and the JBJ ballast issue solved. The tips for water changing, aiptasia id and removal, how to set up the AP (came used, no paperwork), where to get loc line (that doesnt fit my very old AP), how to break LR, how to tell there is no fan in your hood (hey don't laugh, noob here and was under impression the thing was complete and worked!) and so many other great NR's who took a few minutes to get a noob unstuck by PM'ing me or answering my postings. You guys & gals are really great. Looking forward to learning a ton here, it's nice to feel welcome.

To be continued..............................................

Edited to UPDATE livestock, corals and equipment.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lalani...hmm, more incorrect info from my LFS I see. They told me they'd get along fine and in time go forth and multiply. So far so good re: WW3, but doubt the store would take one back....if things got ugly I guess I'd try Craigslist.

There is always a chance that they won't fight, but there is a larger chance that they will. Just watch for aggression between the two and play it by ear. I know I love my YCG. :)

I will hand it to them though, they steered me away from the damsels I wanted. They do a bit of chasing, but will keep an eye on them if it gets more serious. Generally they each hang out in their own little bit of rockwork.

Yay! Can't wait to see how your tank progresses, it has a lot of potential. I'll be watching!

Thanks...should be adding some coral frags this week I hope and working on a potential zoanthid order. Eager to see some different color in the tank.

Thanks for the pic tips!!

Updated pics taken April 5, 2008

Met a fellow NR member (Tanque Verde) and his family ....lovely tank as well. And now I have a few corals finally.

New additions are:

GSP

Green Mushrooms-2 frags of them

Brown Mushrooms on a conch shell

Kenya tree (that has now fallen between a rock and a hard place-forceps have been ordered)

Green ricordia

Finally got my Hydor Flo attached to the nozzle on the AP. Apparently my system was one of the earlier ones and nothing seemed to fit on it. Thanks to the folks who make Teflon tape. Used a ton but it worked!!!

New things coming:

Ordered a dual timer so I can have my new fan (eBay, 2 fan unit) and the Sunpods MH going on/off at the same time. (update: Timer and fan received, both off eBay as was better price)

Ordered the dual fan.

Working on the ATO concept. Not sure if will attempt a DIY (egads oh no) or splurge and get the JBJ ATO system. I started a thread and am still researching the airpump / lifter DIY idea out. Its a lot cheaper but.....

Some pics of the new corals, an updated FTS and the 2 diff macro algae. I have Chaeto and Caulerpa (feathered)

corals009.jpg

corals018.jpg

corals002.jpg

corals010.jpg

Contemplating a peppermint shrimp to tame my Aiptasia. Would still like another fish down the road, anyone offer a suggestion to go with the 2 ycg I already have and the peppermint shrimp I'm planning to get?

Thanks

Oh ...the new corals are not going to stay where they are, just haven't figured out a permanent home for them yet.

UPDATE: Mid April removed Caulerpa

TheCuban1040

Those green shrooms are pretty sweet.

How do you keep the hydor flo from shooting water all over the place when it gets to the top of its rotation?

As for another fish, I would say get a pistol shrimp/goby combo. They are super cool to watch

That macro looks a bit like Caulerpa, but I know very little about that stuff...

Those green shrooms are pretty sweet.

How do you keep the hydor flo from shooting water all over the place when it gets to the top of its rotation?

As for another fish, I would say get a pistol shrimp/goby combo. They are super cool to watch

That macro looks a bit like Caulerpa, but I know very little about that stuff...

Thanks...I love the green shrooms too, heck any coral in my tank is an upgrade!! I want red ones next, and blue and .... LOL

Hydor Flo: It's funny, I never thought that would be an issue ..of course I couldnt hook anything up to the nozzle for the longest time, so am now realizing the slight snafu's with using it....I thought the entire thing would turn under the water....NOT. To answer the question, top off ...top off ....top off. LOL. Actually so far its been pretty good, hasn't shot over the tank rim yet. Now you see another reason I want the ATO unit.

Was thinking peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia removal. But do want another fish down the road, a bit bigger and more fishlike. The Gobies are nice enough but I'm used to fish swimming in a tank, not suctioned to the walls, the rocks, the sandbed.

Would a pistol shrimp get along with a peppermint?

I thought some species of Caulerpa too, but wasn't sure. It looked nice in the LFS tank, but of course theirs was interspersed in the rockwork.

nice scape!!!

Hey SB !!

Thanks. See pic of your Solana skimmer....I tried to do the best I could scaping the tank, most of the rocks came with the AP when I got it, the huge purple ones at any rate.

Ordered some Zoas from Elite Reef....2 are slowly opening (24 hrs later) and 1 is totally closed, hoping it wakes up soon. Would like to take advantage of Alti's Reef packages too.

Thanks for dropping in!

UPDATE: 4/12....only 2 of the Elite Reefs Zoas opened. Third frag dead as a doornail. Never looked like the other two. Only a few of the heads/polyps are open on the other two, not sure why not more, at this point happy some are open.

UPDATE: Alti's Reef sent some lovely frags. I ordered the soft coral pack.

Very nice! Can't wait to see pics of the new zoas, and the mushrooms look great. I think it's feather caulerpa you have in the fuge. As for another fish, have you considered a black and white clown? I think they look amazing. Still considering getting one for my 12g one day.

Just hoping the zoa's do okay. At least some heads are opening on 2 frags, nada on the third still. Tomorrow's water change day so perhaps the new water will invigorate them .

I've thought about clownfish, just afraid of the size difference of them to the gobies. Petstore is ordering me a peppermint shrimp for next week and I'll see what looks good as far as the next addition.

I've heard bad things about caulerpa.....wondering about ditching it vs keeping it...it is pretty and a nice contrast to the darker brillo-wy chaeto.

BTW, how the infestation going? Any news on star population? Still no leads on getting them.

Also no info on getting the tank thread URL on the sig line, never heard back. Sigh....

twicksisted

hey airangel...

checked your thread out from the link you sent in my post :)

Really keen to get myself a JBJ nano now... though not so sure I was to fork out for a actinic MH lighting rig for it.

Im a smoker (terrible i know) and I have a serious airfilter in my studio where i keep my FW tanks... it dosent bother them but they have massive filtration and are larger water bodeis so i guess it buffers it... i think with an open lid, smoking would be a serious no no.... and well... what can i say... i enjoy the odd cigarette hehe

Hey Twicksisted

Thanks for dropping one...figure to try anyway to attract traffic to my meager tank thread LOL

I'm guessing all the AIO brands are available in the UK? Do research on what each tank offers. I know for sure Current AquaPod offers the open with MH, not sure if MH are available with the others or what lighting is hidden under the hoods of the other brands.

Don't smoke here, ghastly habit, lol BUT if you could refrain from smoking indoors....then the open top is doable.

If I was doing it all over again, and was actively looking for a tank, lol, I probably would NOT have gone with the AP, I like the Solana but not the funky lamp...the RSM is way over my budget but if money wasn't an object, I'd have liked to look into that one. I would have probably gone standard and added the parts I wanted....and if I ever decide to do it again with another tank, that is the route I'd choose. Right now one marine tank is quite enough. I have 3 FW tanks running now, the 80g that will hold scalare, the JBJ 12g Nano cube with platies and plants and a 6.6g bookshelf tank with plants and fancy guppies. The other 55g I have in the bedroom is empty currently.

With 3 dogs, all rescues, 2 airedale terriers and a retired x racing greyhound and birds (quaker parrot, cockatiels, gouldian finches) I barely have time for myself.

I'll be following your thread to see what you decide on and how you end up modifying.....most everyone does mod their cubes in some way or another.

hey airangel...

checked your thread out from the link you sent in my post :)

Really keen to get myself a JBJ nano now... though not so sure I was to fork out for a actinic MH lighting rig for it.

Im a smoker (terrible i know) and I have a serious airfilter in my studio where i keep my FW tanks... it dosent bother them but they have massive filtration and are larger water bodeis so i guess it buffers it... i think with an open lid, smoking would be a serious no no.... and well... what can i say... i enjoy the odd cigarette hehe

Looks good! I see one of your YCGs like to sit behind the koralia? Mine does that too. :)

Hey Lalani

Thanks. Yes I think he/she likes the view, can see but not be seen. I am noticing that one of them, possibly the koralia sitter, does give chase to the other, hmmmm.....twice i've found one ycg in the in tank fuge. I'm looking into getting another smallish fish, hoping in the long run it will add a diversion as well as adding color etc to the tank. Feel free to suggest something. I'm thinking the tank can really only hold 3 fish, I'm looking to add a pepp. shrimp so that would round it out for me I think. I was wondering about a clownfish OR a cardinal fish OR a six line...up for other ideas too. Something that would be ok with the gobies, shrimp and corals and not hug the rocks and walls as the ycg do.

Also trying to learn to use new camera....pics look awful and I apologize. If anyone has a SONY Cybershot DSC-H9 PLEASE drop a line!!!!

The tank is really coming along nicely, Ellen! :) I'm jealous of your super purple coralline covered rocks. ;) Keep up the good work with your tank though! And the macro algae you have DOES look like razor calurpa.

Bought some more corals, thanks to Tanque Verde , Alti's Reef & Elite Reef

Anyone know what pic 6 is?

New additions are: Kenya Tree, GSP, green and purple shrooms, xenia zoanthids, and some unknowns

swFTS.jpg

swAltiZoas.jpg 2 zoas from Alti's Reef

swLeftapril.jpg

swLittleThings.jpg Another GSP

swStalkTree.jpg What is this??

swThinThings.jpg Anthellia

swZoaKenya.jpg Kenya tree

swGSPClose.jpgGSP

UPDATE: Soapdish is GONE!!!! Got new mag rack (thanks Daniel), much cleaner looking tank now.

I'm lovin the colors on your rocks. Did you get your zoas from Alti's Reef? I was thinking of placing my first order from him since I'm only a state away.

Robin

Hi Robin

Thanks. The purple stuff was the huge boulders that came with the tank. The stuff up the back wall and on immediate left and right sides I bought. Some green on them now, hoping its coraline (its flat not furry).

I got the soft coral pack from Alti, 7 items. I got 9. 3 purpley shrooms, one slimed, one fell off the frag and its reglued onto another rubble. Its the one in front on sandbed. I received I think 5 zoanthids and all opened immediately. Then I got 3 things I'm clueless on, I have to drop him a line and ask. Make sure you are home as I had to sign for my box.

Ellen

I'm lovin the colors on your rocks. Did you get your zoas from Alti's Reef? I was thinking of placing my first order from him since I'm only a state away.

Robin

Hi Ellen,

I followed the link in your sig from the reply you left on my thread. Your tank is beautiful, and has me very excited about getting started!

Anne

Anne

Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to do the best with the tank and the rocks it came with (large but purple). My camera is the pits so the tank looks a lot nicer in person. Can't wait to see what you end up with and how you develop the tank B)

UPDATE: Added a frag of frogspawn, received box of FWE (but haven't tried yet) & carbon (just in case), am expecting a toadstool frag and some purple shrooms, target feeder/aiptasia zapper and still haven't ordered the ATO.

Need pics of the frogspawn, lol B)

My pepp shrimp is doing a great job at getting the aiptasia in my tank. I had tons of tiny aiptasia from when I killed the one aiptasia (yep, there was only one - came on a frag) I used to have. I can no longer find any in my tank. I'm very pleased with mine, I'd say go ahead and get one.

Archived