SaltCritters.com

BSDaemon's 10g tank

IPv6Freely

Well, I've had a 10g sitting around for ages, and my 20g needed to be taken down because it was pretty much as good as dead. Literally. I had asked a friend to remove anything of value while I was on vacation, and all that stuff is being kept in a friends tank for the time being. The only thing I didn't realize hadn't been removed until it was too late were my two strawberry hermits. They were my favourite thing in my whole aquarium, but they're gone now :( I didn't know there was anything left in the tank so it just kind of... sat.... for a month.... :(

So anyway, here begins my thread...

I grabbed the 10g, cleaned it up, painted the black with dark blue krylon fusion (not the nasty light blue crap, this is a nice dark blue). Cleaned out the sand from my old tank, washed it in a couple of mixing bowls in the sink until the water wasnt brown anymore, dumped in the sand, and started filling with saltwater.

The liverock that came out of my 20g had a lot of issues with a really irritating thick brown leafy algae that I could never get rid of, so I'm getting some new rock. I'm not sure what I'll do with the old rock though... I don't know if the LFS would want it...

I plan on keeping various zoas, mushrooms, etc. Nothing that will take too much light. I'm undecided about what kind of light to use... I'd like something I can retrofit into the original AGA hood, but I don't know whats available. Suggestions?

I don't plan on having any special equipment on this thing, it's not drilled or anything, but its small enough that a weekly water change should be fine without a skimmer, etc.

I'll get photos once I go buy some new batteries for the camera.

Believe it or not, I might be interested in getting a small piece of brown macro infested live rock for the macroalgae tank I'm setting up.

PM me if you'd be able to ship me a small piece cheap.

Looking forward to seeing pics of this tank!

Are you quiting on the other tank??

My other one at home? Yeah it was taken down this past week. The new office tank? Nope, I'm still working on getting it assembled.

Believe it or not, I might be interested in getting a small piece of brown macro infested live rock for the macroalgae tank I'm setting up.

PM me if you'd be able to ship me a small piece cheap.

I might be able to do that, whats your zip?

I can't seem to get the water to clear up, and I need a new light because this one almost looks pink, and I need some liverock (the stuff at the LFS here was just....terrible)

Heres a pic:

2370597682_958ae58d6c_b.jpg

Nothing special really... just a tank with some sand and water.

Do you like your old LR?

If you do just let everything die off, leave it out of water for atleast 2 weeks. Everything is going to die off the good and the bad bacteria. It is going to be time consuming, but you are going to start fresh. This will give you time to plan and save money for your new system. Just my .02

Do you like your old LR?

If you do just let everything die off, leave it out of water for atleast 2 weeks. Everything is going to die off the good and the bad bacteria. It is going to be time consuming, but you are going to start fresh. This will give you time to plan and save money for your new system. Just my .02

I traded my rock to a friend for some of his really nice stuff. I also got a new 10000K flourescent bulb... it will do for the time being until I save up for a sunpod. I'll snap a picture tomorrow.

I'm still unable to get the water to clear up though... any thoughts?

FTS:

2376305752_a9c3457a04_b.jpg

A not so nice hitchhiker on the rock:

2376306268_61636eb73f_b.jpg

I gotta get that sucker outa there somehow... -_-

also still cant get the damn water to clear up...

CarterNichols

get a bambo skewer and stick a piece of raw shrimp (from the grocery store) to the bottom in an open area you can work around, turn off the lights get a red flash light or a normal one, wait for the worm to come out all the way and wrap himself around the shrimp or at least come all the way out of the rock and then take some trainer chopsticks (the kind that are connected at the end, like big tweezers) and grab him, works every time.

as for the water it will settle down and everything, just give it time...

oh and get a 20" satelite PC like 40w or 80w and lose the hole plastic hood and get a glass top.. costs like 8 bucks.

CarterNichols
Its just a bristle worm, why would you want to remove him?

in a ten gallon nano reef with a worm that size they can become harmful.. i have lost fish to big bristleworms.

and it wasn't the oh the fish died then the bristleworm got to it.. i watched it sting and wrap around a wrasse. and beisdes they are disgusting.

in a ten gallon nano reef with a worm that size they can become harmful.. i have lost fish to big bristleworms.

and it wasn't the oh the fish died then the bristleworm got to it.. i watched it sting and wrap around a wrasse. and beisdes they are disgusting.

Are you 100% sure it was the Bristle worm? My friend had a 11" one in his 75g under a rock, he knew exactly where it was, never bothered him, he never bothered anything.

well... the funny part is that i hadnt got the salinity up to the right level when I put that rock in, not knowing he was in it... so... hes dead anyway. lol

is the tank still cloudy? You can tied some filterfloss at the intake of your ph. Should clear everything up within 2 hours. As for the rocks with algae, pluck and then brush with toothbrush to get as many as possible (in a sw bucket). And then cook the rocks for like 2 months or something. Should get rid of most algae, i supposed.

CarterNichols

as i said, i sat there and watched him do it, i believe i had a fire worm looked exactly like the pictures online...

and nice kill.

glad to see your trying again...hopefully this one works out.

thanks, i actually just got my office tank assembled 2 days ago.... we'll see if it will hold water. I just need to get the initial back plumbing done, at least as far as the first ball valve and union so i can fill it

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, sitting there empty... need a clean up crew but the LFS doesnt have anything, and I cant justify the ridiculous shipping costs of most online stores.

• 4 months later...

Well, I managed to get a light real cheap, so I actually found some motivation to get this thing going:

FTS:

2761643734_cfbee1d5dd.jpg

Got my first coral, something cheap and easy to keep:

2760797251_3550fc01b8.jpg

Bought a mini clean up crew... 3 crabs and 3 snails = $25 at the LFS. RIP-OFF!, but I just couldn't afford the $40 shipping for $20 worth of stuff online.

I want some more corals... but again the shipping thing really makes it difficult...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having a bit of an algae problem.. its kind of a green/black algae.

img0769oj7.jpg

Its not as bad now as in the photo, I've cleaned a good amount of it up... but there's still quite a bit on the rock.

(Notice the hermit meeting there on the rock? :lol: )

Any suggestions?

Current FTS (notice the blanket of algae in the back thats floating up?):

img0772rt3.jpg

thats weird. looks like hair algae. probably phosphate present in your water. using RO water right?

Really? I thought hair algae was usually... hairy? Are there multiple types?

I'm using RO water, but im not sure how old the filters are, and I -know- that I need the DI changed. I don't have a test for phosphate though :(

• 2 months later...

Well, after fighting with this stupid tank for what seems like forever, I've decided to just take it down. It never really made it anywhere, anyway.

RIP

Archived