Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chuck's Red Sea Max -- Harrisburg PA

Oceanic 30g

Oceanic 30g

I just bought a Red Sea Max. I labored over the best tank to buy and in the end, this was the one. I am happy with the purchase. The fit and finish of the tank is excellent and I am really impressed with the lighting. I was expecting less because they are T5 PC, but they make the tank look great. The timer looks pretty easy to use and I really like the cord cover. Please note that this is not truly a 1 plug tank, but the cords are kept in check because of the cord cover.

I will post pics soon.

Couple things.

1) The stand is a bit of a PIA to put together.

2) The reefbase is useless. If anyone wants to come to my house, I will give it to you.

3) My heater is bad, but I called Red Sea and their customer service appears to be very good. They are sending a new one

4) A pump got very loud, but it was just the impeller cover.

Word of advice. Set it up and get everything running properly before you put the cord covers in.

Thanks for everyones help in picking the tank. Special thanks to StevieT for answering a plethora of questions.

;)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just bought a Red Sea Max. I labored over the best tank to buy and in the end, this was the one. I am happy with the purchase. The fit and finish of the tank is excellent and I am really impressed with the lighting. I was expecting less because they are T5 PC, but they make the tank look great. The timer looks pretty easy to use and I really like the cord cover. Please note that this is not truly a 1 plug tank, but the cords are kept in check because of the cord cover.

I will post pics soon.

Couple things.

1) The stand is a bit of a PIA to put together.

2) The reefbase is useless. If anyone wants to come to my house, I will give it to you.

3) My heater is bad, but I called Red Sea and their customer service appears to be very good. They are sending a new one

4) A pump got very loud, but it was just the impeller cover.

Word of advice. Set it up and get everything running properly before you put the cord covers in.

Thanks for everyones help in picking the tank. Special thanks to StevieT for answering a plethora of questions.

;)

Some questions for you.

Is the stand a PITA to put together b/c you are not a carpenter or hard even for an unskilled person?

What was the reef base made out of? Sand, rock, etc

What was wrong with the pump? the cover not put assembled correctly at the factory or maybe hurt during shipping/transportation?

I have read that the cooling fans are quite loud does RSM seem to have fixed that problem?

Do you have any pics?

Oceanic 30g

Thanks StevieT.

Honda

1) I am not a carpenter, but I have put a lot of sh?t together. It is a PIA for just about anyone.

2) Reef base looks like is is heavily machined to get a consistent shape. I think it is aragonite.

3) The clip for the cover came loose

4) Fan is very quiet on mine

I will post pics soon.

Oceanic 30g

I have a couple of intro pics. I just added water and put some salt in. I am about 1.024 right now on my way to 1.025.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Oceanic 30g

I checked the tank this a.m. and everything is looking good. I am going to add 20 lbs of livesand tonight and then liverock (about 30 lbs or so) by the end of the week. I have a ton of microbubbles from the skimmer, but hopefully, that will stop after about a week or so of running with liverock in.

I have a pretty good stockpile of reef stuff in a rubbermaid container, but I need to get the following.

JBJ Algae Scraper

JBJ Siphon for water changes

JBJ or Tunze Auto topoff

Koralia or a Tunze nanostream

Magfloat

More salt

A new thermometer (probably pinpoint)

Refractometer (I have gone too long without one)

Just wanted to say be careful using the RSM HydroMeter. I have one and it's very inaccurate. It measured 1.025 but when I measured my water with a refractometer it actually measured 1.030! My lfs also did a test with about 5 of them and they ALL showed a different reading!

Oceanic 30g

StevieT

It won't stay that way for long. I am pretty anal about keeping everything spotless though

ClaireFB

I have another one that I use that was calibrated up against a $900 computer. I agree...They are not to be trusted. I am looking into a refractometer or a pinpoint. I am using that for the temp more than the specific gravity. I have two moitors for temp going becuase the heater has issues and I am getting a new one.

overall, if you keep up on maintenance and weely water changes, these tanks run very clean. I have to scrape coralline algae off the glass every 2-4 weeks, but other than that it stays very clean. Just don't over feed the sharks and you'll be good to go!!!

Oceanic 30g

Funny you said that. The other all in ones I have had always needed a bit lower level. It was lower until I just added some extra salt. I remembered reading that on your thread.

Thanks for looking out for me.

Did you leave the filter comb up just a bit or all the way down?

I wish it acted like a true overflow and dropped down a bit, but what can you do.

yeah, i wish it acted like that as well.

I played around with it forever but i finally found what worked for my tank. The grate has to be up just a little bit, around 1/4". I have a nice coralline growth on it and if I need to close it for cleaning i always have that purple line for guidence. The water level needs to be about the same bellow the black molding for it to work properly. If not tuned in you will either suck air, or not skim suface goo at all.

Once you figure it out, it works nicely. Just keep it topped off or get an ATO

Oceanic 30g

Did I tell you they shipped this with a Tunze skimmer?

No plastic on the stand, a smaller foam block, and a Tunze skimmer. Not bad...

Oceanic 30g

I bought it from That Pet Place. It is in Lancaster PA. I picked it up. They have a deal right now. Tank, Stand, Starter Kit, and Shipping for $750.

wait, red sea is incuding the tunze skimmer?! or your retailer did? Others have said that the plastic is not on the stand anymore and red sea wised up and cut the sponge down.

Oceanic 30g

Real Nice. I should have bought a Tunze, installed it, taken a piture, posted it and then told you the same story. (Pinky would have found that pretty funny)

you should have and I would have freaked at Pinky! She would have been baffled. Glad I could entertain you today B)

Oceanic 30g

Specific gravity is spot on. I added the livesand. I have a sandstorm now. I am running the pumps and the heater, but the skimmer is off.

Oceanic 30g

Cloudiness is pretty much gone. I am going to go and get some Fiji liverock and put it in the tank this weekend. I will post pics as soon as I add the rck.

Archived