Cultivated Reef

The Other CM's 16 Gallon Bowfront

cmador

I just moved my 10 gallon that I had at work to a brand new 16 gallon bowfront at home. It did fine at work but never great. I've been looking for a 16 bowfront (love the black silicone) and finally found a store that had one. I picked it up yesterday and moved the tank today because I leave for vacation in a week for a week, so I really want to get this tank settled before I take off.

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

switch.jpg

Here you can see the old 10 gallon - just getting ready to start.

new1.jpg

Just finished for the night, temporarily I'm only running a heater, a penguin with a carbon filter and a korlia nano. Tomorrow, when I can see, I will 'scape the rocks and finish setting up.

OK, this is the initial setup. I was hoping I could fit my bakpak skimmer, but nope. So, AC 110 'fuge with surface skimmer filled with the largest piece of live rock I could fit and cheato. Two koralia nanos, a Jager heater and a JBJ ATO. I'm lighting with a 70 watt metal halide Sunpod fixture with a Phoenix 14K Bulb.

With the additional height of the bowfront compared to the 10 gallon, I need to add some more live rock especially some with vertical features (tonga branch) and I'm thinking that eventually I will upgrade to a 150 watt metal halide.

Going to give it a few hours and then I'll do initial water quality tests.

new3-1.jpg

new2-1.jpg

new.jpg

Ha, it looks empty. I swear, all this rock filled up my 10.

Oh yeah, I'll have a black background on soon.

• 3 months later...

Update: This tank has gone through some changes. I added about 20-25lbs of marcorocks that took me about a month to cure. I found a used remora for $30, so I added that and am now using a penguin 170 for a fuge. I also added a yellow wrasse to eat some pods that starting bugging my zoos - he's doing great. I also switched out the 70watt sunpod for a 150watter and bought the Phoenix 14k bulb. I need to add some more coral - maybe at the Columbus frag swap coming up.

back.jpg

back of the tank, showing the remora and penguin 'fuge.

16.jpg

fts-1.jpg

wrasse.jpg

• 4 months later...

In July, I moved out this tank into a biocube 29, but I'm thinking of bringing it back. The plan is to make it a softy only tank and at that, maybe just zoos and shrooms. Fish would be a small goby or blenny or two.

Off the top of my head:

Paint the trim and back black

Small hob fuge like a penguin or AC

Remora or cpr hob skimmer

2 koralia nanos

Ebo Jager Heater

JBJ ATO

I'm not sure about the light. I have a 175 watt bell pendant I could use or a PC fixture, but I'm thinking maybe a 70 or 150 watt sunpod might be best.

To be continued....

Archived