Pod Your Reef

My 20gal: A photo journal

mmelnick

20H tank w/ 10gal sump
Lighting: 2X T-5HO Nova Extreme
Flow: 850 GPH total -1 250 GPH PH, a 200 GPH sump pump and a 400GPH Koralia 1(added 2/2010)
150w Hydor Theo heater
digital thermometer
LR: 32 LBS12lbs Florida aquacultured, 10lbs. Fiji, plus some DIY agrocrete LR
LS: 20lbs
aquahub premium ATO kit

Let me know what you guys think.

Jan 2008( 1 1/2 months after setup)
fts1-2008.jpg

10-17-08
FTS10-17-08.jpg

I will be editing this 1st post from time to time to update w/ current pics as my tank matures.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all of the compliments. I'm not sure that it's that cool right now, but I can't wait for everything to start growing more and filling out the rockwork. I am going to meet a guy to do a coral swap tonight so I should have some pics of a few new mushrooms as soon as the settle in and start to look at home.

is this a 20L?

nope, it's a 20H. It kind of looks like it in the first pic because of the way that I croped it. I thought about adding some more LR to fill it to the top, but I kind of like to have a little bit of swimming room up there (for when I actually get fish ;) ) Hopefully I will start to add some fish in the next 1-2 weeks.

I can't decide if I should add a pair of clown first or add a gramma. I have heard people saying to add both of those last as they are territorial. Any opinions (or facts) would be appreciated.

And as always, thanks for all the help.

I can't decide if I should add a pair of clown first or add a gramma. I have heard people saying to add both of those last as they are territorial. Any opinions (or facts) would be appreciated.

And as always, thanks for all the help.

anyone?

where did you get your aquacultured live rock?

I got it from my LFS. It was pretty pricey. If I had it to do over again I would have got some cheaper LR that didn't have anything growing on it. But hey, I guess you live and you learn.

Here is a shot of the new shrooms as promised. They aren't all that cool, but not too bad considering that the guy traded them for a 1"X1" piece of GSP. They have yet to open fully, but I'm sure that if I just give em a few days to settle in they'll do fine.

newshrooms3-7-08.jpg

Here's a new shot of the larger open brain

lgbrain3-7-08.jpg

i say go for a pair of clowns.

I know that clowns are kind of overdone, but my LFS is having a sale tomorrow and I can get them for 25% off So I think that I will go for it.

I know that clowns are kind of overdone, but my LFS is having a sale tomorrow and I can get them for 25% off So I think that I will go for it.

if i were you, i will go for a pair of clowns AND a pair of firefish.

take it slowly though.

Love that rock with the blue mushrooms. If I kept track of what I've spent on this hobby I'd probably have an anxiety attack.

DO NOT get a pseudochromis, you'd be better off with a yellow tail damsel. I have one in my tank and wish I never would have bought it. It's a super aggresive little bastard, and in a 20g tank it would likely kill all other tank mates.

DO NOT get a pseudochromis, you'd be better off with a yellow tail damsel. I have one in my tank and wish I never would have bought it. It's a super aggresive little bastard, and in a 20g tank it would likely kill all other tank mates.

Thanks for the info glennr. The more I research these guys the less I really want one. I'm thinking that I will just go with a pair of clown for now and maybe add something a few months down the road. Or maybe not.

Now I will just have to convince the wife. :huh:

If I kept track of what I've spent on this hobby I'd probably have an anxiety attack.

That's kind of why I included it. I always see posts w/ people trying to start a tank for like $100 and then whining that everything is going wrong.

• 1 month later...

Well I decided to get a pair of true percs a few weeks ago, but instead of posting pics of yet another pair of clowns, I am going to post pics of what one of these little retards did.

DSC_0001.jpg

And yes, that is on of my new clowns swimming in the sump. He must have been curious about the overflow. So I guess I will be intsalling a filter soon. I have a filter sock that might work well.

And just an update, here is the tank as of today.

DSC_0009.jpg

Bad Company

Hmm, I say since you have 2 fish that swim around, I would get a rock-percher next, like a Yellow Watchman, High-Fin Red- Banded Goby, etc. they are also really cool to watch when they are paired with a pistol shrimp.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had this in my tank for a while now, but it's been growing lately. I also posted this in the ID forum, but I thought I'd put a pic here because i'ts just really cool looking.

ID1.jpg

It's a type of Macro-Algae which I can't remember the name of.

I remember, though, that it is dependent upon Calcium more than nitrates for growth. You must have good calcium levels in your tank! Looks nice!

Archived