ReefCleaners.org

Chaeto requirements

MedcinMn

I wanted to go w/ a light(s) that I could mount on the back and seal the light in. If I use a regular lamp, the light at night will illuminate half my house!

I just bought a cheap clip on light from home depot, its a work light just an aluminum reflector with a socket and a clip, then i got one of those energy saving CFL bulbs that was a daylight color, it seems to be working very well and only cost me 12.00. I think those led lights your talking about wont be enough.

I just bought a cheap clip on light from home depot, its a work light just an aluminum reflector with a socket and a clip, then i got one of those energy saving CFL bulbs that was a daylight color, it seems to be working very well and only cost me 12.00. I think those led lights your talking about wont be enough.

tried the led puck doesn't work at all... the cheato will stay alive, but no growth. I've had cheato in cold water (like 45-50ish) for like two months in the garage and i took some out and put it in the fuge.... and it's double the size in about 2 weeks. So you can't really kill it if it's in saltwater. But then again i hear people having a really hard time keeping it alive. Any bulb rated at 5700k or more should be fine. But i must say that i have seen the best growth with 6700k bulbs. I have tried 10000k but it seems that it grew slower IME.

I use this fluorescent light from Lowe's. I screwed the light onto the base of a CD/DVD cylinder, used electrical tape around the cylider (to block light from escaping), scraped some paint off the back of my BC29 and hung it there. Works pretty good.

Lowe's light

Does that light seem to heat up your water at all?

OK, I did it and will post a DIY thread w/ pics. With regards to the light, I know I should put light on the Chaeto when my main lights are off. If my mains don't come on until 4 p.m., can I have the chaeto light come on from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., or is it necessary for it to come on at night?

The only reason I would do it is because of my moonlights. The chaeto light will drown them out.

Archived