Cultivated Reef

GSP Type of Coral?

sammyman

constantocean
yes it has a purple base if you look closely

I have three different varieties of GSP amongst my tanks.

and I have that type.

I believe theres "green star polyps" "neon green star polyps" and "metallic green star polyps" in my tanks.

that frag you have received I believe is the "metallic" variety.

supreme_spork
So I got the ugly kind. Dang!

wait a second -- from the picture they look like briarium sp., an encrusting gorgonian. Briarium sp. is similar to but not the same as GSP, Pachyclavularia. it also grows on a purple spreading mat like GSP.

sammyman -- are the tentacles "fuzzy"? GSP tentacles are "rubbery", but briarium tentacles are feathered.

here's an example:

43f08f72dbbb5.jpg

i actually prefer briarium to GSP because i like the feathery tentacles. i don't think yours is ugly at all!

wait a second -- from the picture they look like briarium sp., an encrusting gorgonian. Briarium sp. is similar to but not the same as GSP, Pachyclavularia. it also grows on a purple spreading mat like GSP.

sammyman -- are the tentacles "fuzzy"? GSP tentacles are "rubbery", but briarium tentacles are feathered.

here's an example:

43f08f72dbbb5.jpg

i actually prefer briarium to GSP because i like the feathery tentacles. i don't think yours is ugly at all!

I think it is actually feathery, not rubbery. If it is the briarium, does it grow really fast like gsp?

supreme_spork
I think it is actually feathery, not rubbery. If it is the briarium, does it grow really fast like gsp?

it can grow pretty fast, yup.

i have metallic green briarium and i'd say its base expands about an inch each month.

• 1 month later...

I have the same thing in my tank it is GSP and it will grow and mature no worries. My LFS have dark green ones, white ones, and more neon green standard ones, even GSP with a white mat. The one you have looks exactly like mine. More of a dark green not so long polyp. When they spread and mature and get settled and come out they will look lovely :) They don't come out all the way until they are happy and settled into the tank. Mine will hid all day if I bump them and move them around to much and won't come out for a while, just keep handling to a min.

livingdeadguy

looks like briarium to me.

I have some which I also thought was gsp at first, but like supreme_spork said, it's an encrusting gorgonian.

Here is a pic of mine, while it was spawning, so take away all the little eggs, and that's what it normally looks like.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/gsp22.jpg

Mine, spreads fast, and will grow on anything. I have a nice patch growing on the back of my tank. After it spawned, I'm seeing little polyps everywhere.

It's a cool coral, but grows quick. Fortunately, it's not aggressive and most other corals will overpower it easily.

Archived