Cultivated Reef

Cliche Cube's

kgehrke

Hi everybody, about 5 months ago I set up my first saltwater aquarium. I would have started this thread then, but you know, apathy has its ways of winning. I started with a stock BioCube 14.

I soon modded it with the following:

nanocustoms 72 watt upgrade

nanotuners 5.1 led light (fuge)

chaeto in the center back compartment

mj900

hydor flo

chemi-pure elite

My stocking list is:

1 clown (Charles)

1 cleaner shrimp (Pierre)

1 large Kenya tree

1 red and green favia

1 trumpet coral

Random zooanthids

1 frogspawn

2 astrea snails

3 hermits

13 lbs live rock

The tank has gone through several states of variation

Here is a picture of the current tank. I usually don’t have the thermometer in there or the tube. I was acclimating some coral, more on that later. (More pictures to come of past and present.)

CIMG2353.jpg

Here's my ap 12 with the 70watt mh. This is obviously going to be a grow out/frag tank. I don't have much in there yet, but there are definitely plans in motion for that.

So far all I have done to this tank is:

chaeto to the back

treble light with 23watt fluorescent (fuge)

mj 900

koralia nano pump

10 lbs live rock

Egg crate

Here are some pics to mull over.

CIMG2343.jpg

My rear lighting still needs work

CIMG2349.jpg

Some zoo's in there that I like

CIMG2398.jpg

I have more current pictures to add eventually

No love yet eh? Well a little update then. I'm waiting for some acan to come in at zoanuts so I can use my credit. I had an order that froze to death thanks to dhl. That was a real heartbreaker. I am also bidding on some mvite coral on ebay. I can't wait to get some of this stuff in.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES:

New Suppliments:

CIMG2413.jpg

New Tank Shots:

CIMG2466.jpg

CIMG2477.jpg

And my first stoney frag :o

CIMG2467.jpg

Cutting stony coral is scary the first time but I think it went well. It's still uber mad in the pic.

And last but definetly not least.... New acans from MVITE!!! Some Orange Crush, a Japanese Acan and a Fire Lord...

CIMG2471.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update! :D

Updated FTS

CIMG2616.jpg

Updated FTS Frag Tank

CIMG2634.jpg

Check this out, both of these zoas are from the same colony, this half is under pc lights

CIMG2617.jpg

And this half is under 14K Metal Halide

CIMG2639.jpg

Some pretty zoas. I started this frag out from 4 heads about a month ago. They grow OUT OF CONTROL

CIMG2608.jpg

This one I started out from one half dead head. :happy:

CIMG2607.jpg

It seems like I loose a lot. It depends a lot on whether I leave the glass top off for a day or two. I don't have an ATO yet, I prolly top up every 3 days. I should probably do it more. The biocube looses hardly any water ever, thats kinda nice.

Awesome tanks! I'd love to upgrade my lighting to MH or a nanocustoms setup with my tax return so I can keep more than softies and some LPS but my GF already yells at me for blowing as much money on it as I do. Time to start telling her all my new additions were freebies I got from the nice folks at NR! :lol:

Haha yeah, it can be an expensive hobby. Just wait a few months and buy one of my tanks used! I want to set up a 100+ gal Frag tank.... We'll see how soon this actually happens, but I'm starting to collect the necessary parts and cash. My GF gets on me too, she just doesn't understand... :D Frag swap in april though in Des Moines!

Haha yeah, it can be an expensive hobby. Just wait a few months and buy one of my tanks used! I want to set up a 100+ gal Frag tank.... We'll see how soon this actually happens, but I'm starting to collect the necessary parts and cash. My GF gets on me too, she just doesn't understand... :D Frag swap in april though in Des Moines!

Well I've got a 75 gal that no longer sees use - VHO lighting with what I believe is a fried ballast, sump, stand, brand new pump so if you decide 100gal is too much... I actually might be in the market for one of your tanks in a few months, my GF has expressed some interest in getting into the hobby. It's perfect I tell ya - she can't possibly yell at me for spending money on mine if she does the same, might be the best investment I've ever made ;)

• 1 month later...

Never know Aaron, I might be in the market for that 75 still. Maybe everything.

Here's an update. The Acans are showing some deeper color and have tons of babies showing up.

CIMG2850.jpg

I also got the ric and zoa bag of crap from zoanuts and got tons of cool stuff. Including two mussels. Here's a picture of one of them.

CIMG2845.jpg

And finally, here's an updated FTS of my frag tank, which is now full and waiting for an upcoming frag swap to be emptied.

CIMG2855.jpg

• 5 months later...

The frag tank has been moved into a 40 gallon tub, soon to be in a 110 with the 40 as a sump. The Biocube just has rock in it and will be empty by this weekend.

I've moved almost everything into my frag tub plan. I'm going to be updating that thread soon.

Archived