Cultivated Reef

PICTURE UPDATES! SOLANA 34 gallon

alex101

So after a year of a nanowave, I've decided I need to upgrade to a bigger tank. So I went out and picked up the new Current USA Solana 34 gallon seamless cube with 150w Pendant halide.

I've just started cycling today, so I'll be updating with pics as they come along. Let me know what you guys think and I'm also looking for a possible clip on refugium light....any one heard of one? Links? Thanks

PICT0252.jpg

hey alex nice tank... dont you have the old light from your nanocube laying around and a spare lid with lights in it... if i were you i would use that... you can do a nice DIY... if not you can get a palmlight that has a small CF bulb in it

EDIT: i was looking at that in salty critter not more then 2 weeks ago

hey alex nice tank... dont you have the old light from your nanocube laying around and a spare lid with lights in it... if i were you i would use that... you can do a nice DIY... if not you can get a palmlight that has a small CF bulb in it

EDIT: i was looking at that in salty critter not more then 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Yeah the problem is the fuge light isn't part of the hood, it's part of the tank. I was gonna make a setup, but for the price of the clip on ones I like the look alot better.

i was saying that you have an extra hood with lights in it (not that dinky fuge hood but one of those bigger lights)... so you can take that apart and just use it like a retro fit... it my have to be a DIY but its better then going out and spending 30 bucks for something that you have already, it will just take some effort... you could build an enclosure out of acrylic and paint it black so you dont get spill over

i was saying that you have an extra hood with lights in it (not that dinky fuge hood but one of those bigger lights)... so you can take that apart and just use it like a retro fit... it my have to be a DIY but its better then going out and spending 30 bucks for something that you have already, it will just take some effort... you could build an enclosure out of acrylic and paint it black so you dont get spill over

Yeah I might do that, I just wanna make sure it looks nice....cause unfortunately there's no room for error on this thing cause it's all glass

UPDATED PICS...

Got some more rock and rescaped things. Had a hitchiker hermit, so I will watch him while I wait for the cycle to complete. :)

PICT0254.jpg

PICT0253.jpg

Don't mind that salt dripping down, until I'm done sticking my hand in there, there's no reason to clean it.

The aquascaping isn't final yet, I still have about 10 more pounds of rock to add from my other tank, I just need the new one to finish its cycle first. About when should I add some cheato and set up the refugium?

does that fixture attach to the stand or the tank? can you use the stand and/or fixture with a different tank?

stand and fixture sold seperately. So yes...any tank with this stand and light.

New Refugium light is finished. I used some left over plexi glass and a 10k PC light I had lying around. I spray painted the inside of the plexi glass black and made a new reflector for behind the bulb. Turned out pretty well I think. Let me know what your thoughts are.

PICT0261.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

New Refugium light is finished. I used some left over plexi glass and a 10k PC light I had lying around. I spray painted the inside of the plexi glass black and made a new reflector for behind the bulb. Turned out pretty well I think. Let me know what your thoughts are.

PICT0261.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

Hey, the lid for the solana...Does it come with it or it was something you do it yourself?

Hey, the lid for the solana...Does it come with it or it was something you do it yourself?

Glass top came with it. I got the entire setup with cabinet, tank and 150w halide for $600

nice DIY on the fuge light.

Thank you, will a 10k be sufficiant for a fuge?

pertty good idea :D right? turned out nice... yes that will be more then enought to grow chaeto... i use a crappy spiral compact bulb and it grows super fast... chaeto needs very little in terms of light requirements

EDIT: what did you use to bond the acrylic? and did you put vents in it? cf do generate heat

you could have just kept a few water changes to the side, then when ready to upgrade, fill tank with half already cycled water, half new mixed RO salt water, add live rock and sand from existing setup along with additional new dead sand and dead rock, then you would have only a small insignificant mini cycle, i did this going from my 35 to a 75 and other than a little cycle and a little cyano as things got right, nothing else went wrong, emerald crab, hermits, snails, two clown fish, engineer goby, torch coral, xenia, zoos, urchin.....lost nothing, everything is healthy and well

pertty good idea :D right? turned out nice... yes that will be more then enought to grow chaeto... i use a crappy spiral compact bulb and it grows super fast... chaeto needs very little in terms of light requirements

EDIT: what did you use to bond the acrylic? and did you put vents in it? cf do generate heat

I used PVC cement for initial bond and then reenforced all of the inside edges with silicon. Then I painted the inside etc. Thanks for the ideas....If it weren't for other people, I'd be the laziest mofo around

you could have just kept a few water changes to the side, then when ready to upgrade, fill tank with half already cycled water, half new mixed RO salt water, add live rock and sand from existing setup along with additional new dead sand and dead rock, then you would have only a small insignificant mini cycle, i did this going from my 35 to a 75 and other than a little cycle and a little cyano as things got right, nothing else went wrong, emerald crab, hermits, snails, two clown fish, engineer goby, torch coral, xenia, zoos, urchin.....lost nothing, everything is healthy and well

I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THAT!! So in theory, I can just add all of my existing live rock and crap right now? I've put in a few peices from my existing tank already that don't have corals bonded. The rest of the rock I have have corals attatched.

I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THAT!! So in theory, I can just add all of my existing live rock and crap right now? I've put in a few peices from my existing tank already that don't have corals bonded. The rest of the rock I have have corals attatched.

not sure if i would do that now that you have already started the cycle with the new stuff....depends on your levels, and i am not saying there is no risk involved, honestly, what i would do, is move the live rock over, or at least half of it, this will help seed the new live rock and add beneficial bacteria of course, but i have been anal about checking the water parameters too, three times a day at first, and if i had it to do again i would probably have left the fish and corals in the original tank for the first week or so until the rock and sand cycled or at least got close to stabilizing, then acclimate and transfer the fish and corals over, i didnt do that, i just added a bunch of new "cured" live rock and a lot of non-live rock and old dead sand, half cycled water from my water changes, added the fresh RO saltwater, got it up to temp, salinity and PH, then transferred all my existing live rock, live sand, corals and fish and critters to the new tank

the highest levels recorded during the "mini cycle" with everything in there was:

NH3 1.0

NO2 0.5

NO3 20

i ended up with a little cyano or diatom? brownish algae growth on the dead rock and on the live sand surface, but the sea urchin and emerald crab seem to be enjoying it as a treat and the snails have most of it gone too and levels are down to:

NH3 .25

NO2 0.1

NO3 10

or lower, i didnt check it today as it has stabilized after a 10 gallon water change a few days ago

FEW UPDATED PICS

PICT0293.jpg

PICT0292.jpg

Everything is healthy to date, I'll keep it updated, I'll be getting some hard corals in a week or 2 so that should be an awesome adventure. I'll post more pics soon with my chiller install as well!!

Archived