Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nanoty's 40 breeder.......

nanoty

Tank has been running for about 7 months now and quite a few things have changed. I ditched the CL system changed stocking plans. Below is a current list of equipment and livestock as of 2-15-09

Tank: AGA 40g Breeder

Sump: AGA 20g High

Skimmer: Octpus Recirulating skimmer

Return pump: Mag7

Powerheads: One MP20

Lights: Single 150w MH w/14,000k Phoenix bulbs

Fans: Cheap Target fan

Heater: 150w Visi-therm Stealth

ATO: JBJ/5g res.

Controller: ACJr w/temp and pH probe and DC8

LR: Approx. 55lbs.

Livestock:

- Small yellow eye kole tang

- Single true perc (one jumped)

- YWG/tiger pistol shrimp pair

- Pair of ORA black misbar clowns

- Green BTA

Corals:

- Various zoas and palys

- GSP

- Frogspawn

- Silver pulsing xenia

- Various ricordea and mushrooms

I think that covers it for now. I will update as this tank progresses but for now you can skip 20 or so pages of discussion and setup and go straight to the water hitting the tank click HERE.

Original post starts here:

Well thanks to everyone for all the advice while I was trying to decide what to do about an upgrade. Funny enough I started out looking at 40g breeders and after looking at tanks in the 90-125g range I have come back and bought a 40 breeder.

I didn't actually plan on buying one today but I got a good enought deal on one that the wife said I could go ahead and get it. It will take me some time to collect all the equipment I am going to need to put this thing together and once I have it all I will move this to the members tanks forum but until then I would like to use this thread to collect information and ideas about how I want to set this up.

Here are the plans so far:

Tank: AG 40g Breeder (duh) have

Sump: 20g H (need ideas and diagrams) have

Pumps/powerheads: Probably Quiet One ~1000gph+ (now using mag7 return and 2 tunze 6025s)

Skimmer: Coralife or octopus

Lights: Undecided (probably single MH w/T5 or dual MH)

More come later...

Stocking plans:

LR: ~40lbs. plus the rock from my NC

Sand: Sure

Corals: Frogspawn, Birdsnest, various zoas, mushrooms, xenia, acro and GSPs (from my NC) (NC crashed :angry: )

Add: More zoas, rics, candy, brain, colt, and what ever else I buy on impulse.

Inverts: 2 emerald crabs, a few ceriths and astreas, 1 blue leg (from the NC)

Add: BTA, cleaner shrimp, more snails, suggestions?

Fish: Current: Pair of black clowns (wife has to have clowns and I want something different)

Yasha goby and pistol shrimp

Yellowhead jawfish

Need something that swims in the water column. Scared of coral eating angels but I really want one, might get a small tang to piss people off.

I have not decided what to do about plumbing. I am looking at all the 40g breeder threads here and taking ideas from different plumbing scenarios. I think I want a central overflow with single returns on each side. I do not want anything in the tank itself (powerheads) so I want to be able to get enought flow from the outside returns. I might use split locline returns and a SCWD for the return. I still need to research pump size and other things like plumbing sizes and such.

Hope everyone follows along and helps out with info. Thanks for looking, here are a few pics.

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after discussing with the wife I think we have decided on a placement at least. I did not want it in the livingroom because there is already 3 tanks in there and since reef tanks tend to be a bit noisey I did not want it where I watch TV. My wife did not want it in the den because we really don't ever go in there and hence would hardly ever see it.

So we decided to ditch our small kitchen table across from the bar and put it there just outside the livingroom door. It will be close enought to see but far enough to lessen the noise, plus we can watch it while we are in the kitchen.

I am thinking about this stand and I am following a lead on a used PC light fixture from a local reef club (will probably be upgraded to MH later).

I haven't decided whether or not to run a canopy. I like the looks of an open top tank but would also like to hide plumbing and since it is in the kitchen I would like to keep foreign objects out of there. There is a guy on ebay that makes really nice looking stand/canopy combos for aroun $350 shipped. I may look into that later.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? This is only my second "reef tank" and the largest one I have done so far. I was wondering if it would be better to have the bottom drilled to use a druso type overflow or drill the back? Is there a reason for each? Thanks

If you want to run a SCWD and dual split loc lines I would recommend you use a large (1200+ gph) pump. I originally set up my 40 breeder exactly like what you're describing (circulation wise) and I used a mag7. It was plenty of flow for softies, but not nearly enough for SPS. Now I run a QO4000 (1000gph) and no SCWD (the SCWD and the mag7 are now on my frag tank), and 2 x nano stream 6025's and still think a little more flow couldn't hurt.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've set mine up like Bdare did on his 40 breeder. Check out his thread for plumbing ideas.

I have been checking all of your threads on plumbing the 40g breeders. I am trying to keep it simple while keeping powerheads out of the tank. Looks like it may be more difficult than I thought. I am going to check a couple of LFSs tomorrow to see about pricing the holes and bulkheads. Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'll keep bumping and post whoring for advice for a while. I was at the LFS today talking about having my tank drilled and an overflow installed. This guy does things a little different, instead of a single large overflow he said he would install two bulkheads , one on each corner and cover it with a homemade overflow that looks ok. It is like a smaller half circle with overflow teeth that is only about 7-8 inches tall.

I know horrible description. Say you have a piece of black PVC about 8 inches long and 4 inches in diameter, cut it lengthways, cap the bottom, and cut teeth on the top and silicone it over the bulkhead. Is that a better description?

He quoted me about $100 for everything which does not sound too bad. I think that this type of overflow configuration would be less conspicuous than the full height overflow I was thinking about. I also think it would compliment the type of aquascape that I have in mind. Basically I want a sloping mound of rock on each end, asymetrical with the left size being larger than the right leaving a fairly large open sand bed in the middle.

Here is a question about overflows. If I use the two overflow, depending on he size of the bulkheads he uses what do you think the best configuration for pumps and returns is? Maybe one overflow to the refugium/sump and split the return to the tank sides. Then plumb the other overflow for a closed loop system that also splits back to the tank sides also. What do you all think?

I will try and sketch up a picture of what I want my aquascape to look like and what the overflows should look like.

Anyone want to take a shot at some of my questions? Do I have to go to Reefcental?.........No just kidding, I wouldn't do that even thought this isn't really nano anymore. Seriously though. any thoughts here?

Why dual over flows? I can understand why you wouldn't necessarily want one in the middle of the tank given the aquascape you want to have (which sounds pretty cool btw). Since you are going to have the left side higher, why not just put the overflow in the left corner and hide most of it with the rocks?

Why dual over flows? I can understand why you wouldn't necessarily want one in the middle of the tank given the aquascape you want to have (which sounds pretty cool btw). Since you are going to have the left side higher, why not just put the overflow in the left corner and hide most of it with the rocks?

The over flows he does are on the small side, proabably around the 3x8 range. He recommened 2 to get a good amount of skimming and flow, plus one on each side would skim the tank better than one. I really did not like his overflows at first but after seeing how well they are hidden I kinda like them. The other reason is I am really anal about the symmetry of the equipment (but not aquascape....is that wierd?) and I really don't want one overflow on one side. If I had one it would probably be in the middle. Still undecided, I may have thecowkid build me one but I am still deciding. Thanks for the input, do you see anything wrong with it other than aesthetics?

I would just drill two holes, one for the overflow, and one for the cl. Then plumb it all up similar to Bdare's. You could drill the hole for the cl over on the right side to hide it too.

The over flows he does are on the small side, proabably around the 3x8 range. He recommened 2 to get a good amount of skimming and flow, plus one on each side would skim the tank better than one. I really did not like his overflows at first but after seeing how well they are hidden I kinda like them. The other reason is I am really anal about the symmetry of the equipment (but not aquascape....is that wierd?) and I really don't want one overflow on one side. If I had one it would probably be in the middle. Still undecided, I may have thecowkid build me one but I am still deciding. Thanks for the input, do you see anything wrong with it other than aesthetics?

No, it should work I would think. I would go ahead and have them go all the way to the bottom of the tank, but that's just me. It just seems like it may be a bit of overkill for a tank that size. But I have no room to talk, look at all the holes I put in the back of my tank!!

No, it should work I would think. I would go ahead and have them go all the way to the bottom of the tank, but that's just me. It just seems like it may be a bit of overkill for a tank that size. But I have no room to talk, look at all the holes I put in the back of my tank!!

Yeah, you do have a lot of holes :happy: , but it looks good. The only reason I want to limit the amount of holes in my tank is because I don't want to spend 4x the amount on drilling than I did on the tank. I wish I had the marbles to do it myself, I could probably do it but I would hang myself if I broke the tank after my wife finally said yes.

I asked before but no one answered. Is there a benefit to a durso type overflow vs. a rear wall drilled overflow?

Just scored a 288w PC fixture for $100, I will be picking it up this week. It is not really what I wanted to do but it will get me started and be good suppliment lights for a MH later on. I am selling a few tanks and other things to fund this tank so it may move a little faster than I previously thought.

I think the next thing I am going to do is have the tank drilled I have come up with a preliminary configuration for the plumbing. I think I am going to have the top back corners drilled and short overflows installed. One overflow will drain to the sump/refugium then be pumped back to each of the back corners using over the rim flow nozzles like this . The idea is to keep from drilling a ton of holes which I cannot afford and to keep powerheads out of the tank.

The other drain will be plumbed to a closed loop pump that will return water via a SCWD to each side of the tank. Basically there will be 2 flow nozzles on each of the back corners of the tank, 2 will be constant and 2 will be intermittent. I still need to see what size bulkheads will be used in the drilling and figure out pump size. Here is a HORRIBLE paint job of my plumbing sketch. Anyone know of a better program for sketching crap like this? Sorry it looks like a 4th grader did it, I suck at Paint.

The stand you want to use is a good stand, i have the same one for my 40 breeder, only thing that sucks is that there is no way to fit a sump throught the small front door. So you either have to build the stand around the sump, or do what i did, and converted one of the side panels into a door. All i did was brace one side with 2x4's then i trimmed the side panel an 1/8 of an inch top and bottom and bolted on some hinges, now i can access my 20L sump, and slide it in and out if i have to.

The stand you want to use is a good stand, i have the same one for my 40 breeder, only thing that sucks is that there is no way to fit a sump throught the small front door. So you either have to build the stand around the sump, or do what i did, and converted one of the side panels into a door. All i did was brace one side with 2x4's then i trimmed the side panel an 1/8 of an inch top and bottom and bolted on some hinges, now i can access my 20L sump, and slide it in and out if i have to.

That's a good idea. My only concern is I want to run a canopy also and I can't seem to find one that matches worth a crap. BTW I suck at wood work.

That's a good idea. My only concern is I want to run a canopy also and I can't seem to find one that matches worth a crap. BTW I suck at wood work.

I'm not the best at wood work either, all i did was messure and had homedepot cut the 2x4's for me... I'll take pics tonight and show you what i did

I'm not the best at wood work either, all i did was messure and had homedepot cut the 2x4's for me... I'll take pics tonight and show you what i did

Yeah, I could probably handle that I was reffering more to the canopy. There is a guy on ebay that sells nice stand/canopy combos that are really beautiful for $350 shipped. Someone here has one on their 40g I think. I just keep thinking if I could pay $100 for the stand and build a canopy I could save $250 or so and put it towards the rest of the stuff I need. Decisions, decisions.

Here's some pics of what i did to my stand

P1240589_Small_.JPG

The door on the left was just a side panel, the front door has no room to access anything.

P1240586_Small_.JPG

Here's the new door, i trimmed 1/8" of the top and bottom of the panel, so it would not bind against the top or the bottom of the stand.

P1240590_Small_.JPG

Here you can see the 2x4's i added so i can do the mod. Also, my 20L sump, it goes the whole lenght of the stand, so i have no room for storage underneath.

P1240587_Small_.JPG

Thanks for the pics, looks like you did a really good job. I am planning on using a 15g tank for a sump, I don't know if there will be any problem or not. Knowing my luck there will be problems. I am currently trying to find someone locally to make me a matching canopy for that stand. If I can't I might try it myself, God help us all.

On another note I was wondering if I will have a problem running the closed loop with an overflow. I am worried the pump might out flow the overflow and I will have trouble with it sucking air. Anyone have any input here? I know nobody will answer so I'll just keep talking. Thanks mic for the pics, do you have a build thread?

i love this board. whenever I decide on doing a project myself, someone is usually doing one at the same time :)

I also have a NC, 24g and just got a sunpod for it. once I took the stock hood off my fiance loved how the light reflected off the water and now wants a slightly bigger tank for the bedroom. I also suck at woodwork which is the one thing thats in my head, since I dont see many 40g stands most of the time when looking around for new stuff. if you decide on making it, please post pics :)

i love this board. whenever I decide on doing a project myself, someone is usually doing one at the same time :)

I also have a NC, 24g and just got a sunpod for it. once I took the stock hood off my fiance loved how the light reflected off the water and now wants a slightly bigger tank for the bedroom. I also suck at woodwork which is the one thing thats in my head, since I dont see many 40g stands most of the time when looking around for new stuff. if you decide on making it, please post pics :)

I checked with this guy and he quoted me $350 shipped for canopy and stand out of 3/4" red oak plywood and $400 shipped out of solid oak. Not bad for good looking work but it bites into my funds for other stuff. Here is a link to his stuff, keep in mind this is not the right size but he said he has them or can build them for a 40g breeder. http://search.express.ebay.com/merchant/jt_from_kc

Here's some pics of what i did to my stand

P1240589_Small_.JPG

The door on the left was just a side panel, the front door has no room to access anything.

P1240586_Small_.JPG

Here's the new door, i trimmed 1/8" of the top and bottom of the panel, so it would not bind against the top or the bottom of the stand.

P1240590_Small_.JPG

Here you can see the 2x4's i added so i can do the mod. Also, my 20L sump, it goes the whole lenght of the stand, so i have no room for storage underneath.

P1240587_Small_.JPG

nice stand mod!!

So I have decided instead of jumping in head first like I usually do I am going to use some of the cash I have to get some essentials before. I am going to be ordering a RO/DI unit next week hopefully along with a refractometer and a few essential test kits. Shouldn't move the build back much, I just want to make sure I am ready.

Small update. Finally got the light I bought from a local reefer. It is not T5 or MH but it will do what I want to keep until I can upgrade. For $100 I really couldn't pass it up. 36" light with 3-96w corallife bulbs, 2 actinic and 1 10,000k as well as moonlights on a dimmer switch. I found a guy on ebay that sells the lights and I will be picking up some legs from him since I cannot find a canopy I like and will most likely be going open top now. Here are a few pics and yes my den is a mess and there are empty tanks everywhere.

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

The dimmer on the moonlights is cool.

IMG_3992.jpg

Light is a lot brighter than it looks.

IMG_3994.jpg

Archived