SaltCritters.com

MrSeptember15--29Gallon Tank Thread

Mrseptember15

Mrseptember15

This tank isn't new or anything, but I'd just like somewhere where people can give their input. Whether it's bad or good feedback, just give it to me! Anyhow, let's begin!

Tank Specifications

Size: 29gallons [All Glass Aquarium]

Measurements: 30x12x18

Date started:October 16th, 2006

Current Tank Inhabitants as of January 14th, 2008

-Two clown fish

-Two cleaner shrimp

Corals:

-Various types of Zoanthids.

-Purple/Red mushrooms

-Xenia

-Colt Coral

-Ricordia

-Yumas (not sure if they're yumas or not!)

Lighting:

130watt catfish lighting off ebay. I did have a Current USA SunPod Metal Halide 150 Watt HQI it on it but the bulbs and the cover shattered and need some fixing.

Maintenance:

-5gallon water (R.O) change weekly.

-Coral accel dosing weekly

Filtration:

~20lbs of liverock

200gph penguin marineland hang on back filter (running filterfloss only)

Pictures:

The beginning:

DSC04615.jpg

DSC04627.jpg

TankNov-2.jpg

DSC05146.jpg

NewBackground.jpg

DSC05710.jpg

TODAY

DSC06073.jpg

DSC06106.jpg

Coral:

DSC06075.jpg

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06099.jpg

DSC06100.jpg

DSC06101.jpg

DSC06103.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

DSC06118.jpg

DSC06114.jpg

DSC06108.jpg

Future Plans:

I'm planning on selling some of my zoanthids so I can make room for more variety of coral. I'm also in the process of buying 20 more pounds of live rock to fill it up more on the right side.

Thanks for looking! Comments welcome. ;)

Mrseptember15

Update:

I went and bought some live rock from a local reefer. I bought 20 more lbs! At $3/lb. I spent the day cleaning around and aquascaping, putting corals in place etc.

Pictures:

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

Comments welcome. :happy::)

Mrseptember15
Yum. I want to eat your zoanthids.

Haha, thanks. I love them! But I need to sell some off to make room! They take up too much space. I was thinking of maybe gluing them onto rocks but ehh... -_-

Haha, thanks. I love them! But I need to sell some off to make room! They take up too much space. I was thinking of maybe gluing them onto rocks but ehh... -_-

Glue them to your forehead.

Dude, you have gotten some weird replies here so far. I like your tank, you have some nice stuff.

I'm especially curious to see all the 29 gallon tanks I can (fishing for aquascaping ideas) as I plan on moving the contents of my 20L into a 29 to give my SPS some room to grow vertically. I'm sure you have noticed that it is an incredible PITA to change the aquascaping once you have tons of corals in there. Any long-term enhancements planned for this tank? I'm curious what your next step will be.

I will be following along.

- Josh

Mrseptember15
Dude, you have gotten some weird replies here so far. I like your tank, you have some nice stuff.

I'm especially curious to see all the 29 gallon tanks I can (fishing for aquascaping ideas) as I plan on moving the contents of my 20L into a 29 to give my SPS some room to grow vertically. I'm sure you have noticed that it is an incredible PITA to change the aquascaping once you have tons of corals in there. Any long-term enhancements planned for this tank? I'm curious what your next step will be.

I will be following along.

- Josh

Finally! A normal response. :happy:

Yes it IS A PITA to aquascape this tank!! But I never really planned anything out for aquascaping. I just had my friend and asked her opinion on what rock should go where and 10minutes later we ended up with what I have now. I'm thinking before I superglue or epoxy any corals onto the rocks, I'll redo the rockwork a little bit to make it look better. If you can tell on the right side I superglued some of my whammin' watermelon zoanthids so they hang on the edge which is something I really like so I'm going to do that with a few more coral. As for long term enhancements, not really sure!Right now, I'm looking for more color variety in both fish and coral so I can enhance the overall beauty of the tank. I can't wait to see what you do with your 29 :) maybe I'll grab a few aquascaping tips from you once you got your 29 all figured out! :happy:

you should get a frag of each of your zoa colonies and glue them on a rock and get a nice zoa garden going... you seem to have alot of varities... i have a 29g also but i have a bunch of big rocks... i think im going to break them up to do a diffrent aquascape something more like yours

Edit: oh yeah your tank looks good

Mrseptember15
you should get a frag of each of your zoa colonies and glue them on a rock and get a nice zoa garden going... you seem to have alot of varities... i have a 29g also but i have a bunch of big rocks... i think im going to break them up to do a diffrent aquascape something more like yours

Edit: oh yeah your tank looks good

Thanks! Yeah the thing is, I suck at fragging! However, I just bought a dremel from costco and I'm going to try to frag using my dremel instead of a razor blade so I can get less tissue damage done to the zoanthid as possible. The way I aquascape my tank is to leave as much room for the fish to swim, so I'm probably never gonna make a rock wall or fill up my tank with big rocks. I also like to leave a lot of space in the front so theres always room to swim there also.

yeah thats what i want... but like a dumby when i was picking out rock i got big pieces... i think i might break some of it up with a hammer tomorrow night.... i want to have room in the front of my tank so i can have room for more corals in the sand...

Mrseptember15

Whenever picking out rock, I always get one big rock a bunch of medium/small ones so I can stack em' up. Good luck with breaking them up! You can get a lot of nice shapes with a chisel and hammer.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived